Ground Squirrel Hunting with HM1000x .25 (Pictorial)

Some time ago I made way into the mountains with my dog Marley to spend two days primitive camping and to hunt for Ground Squirrels. This location is a familiar one but the weather can sometimes be hit or miss considering the higher altitude. This property is extremely remote but offers some of the best habitat found for the California Ground Squirrels.

Snapshot_83.1631167193.png

We had just received a good amount of rain that left the ground damp and the dust to a minimum with some lingering overcast cloud cover, not always the best conditions for hunting Ground Squirrels. We set up in one of my usual campsites that's nestled deep into a canyon where we had some shade and shelter from the vigorous wind that comes through from the South.

Snapshot_98.1631167525.png

After unloading the Jeep Marley and I headed away from camp to scout the area where I was soon able to spot several Ground Squirrels moving about on the many rock outcroppings. 

Snapshot_84.1631167613.png

Snapshot_88.1631167638.png

Snapshot_86.1631167660.png

Snapshot_87.1631167681.png

I was able to take down our first kill of the trip at 98 yards using the RAW HM1000x in .25 caliber. This is the newer Airforce version that's equipped with the LRT laminate camo stock and puts out just about 60 fpe using the NSA 34gr slugs. 

Snapshot_89.1631167838.png

This to be honest isn't my most ideal gun for field use but definitely offers no nonsense accuracy. I had mounted an inexpensive Hawke 3-12x44 SF scope that works fairly well for hunting purposes but has much to be desired compared to some of my more high quality glass. Marley and I continued on a cattle trail that ran parallel with a small creek that was still fresh with water from the recent storm.

Snapshot_85.1631168115.png

Snapshot_92.1631168187.png

The grass was green and the beautiful yellow flowers made this place simply fantastic to hike around in, really nice spot to get to hunt. As we took a break in the grass I was able to spot an adult size Ground Squirrel sunning himself high up in the rocks at 132 yards.

Snapshot_90.1631168331.png

Snapshot_91.1631168348.png

......and he dropped like a rock, nothing quite more satisfying than the catchers mit THWAAAACK!

Moving on just a few yards behind us was another area of rocks where I spotted two adults moving about with one barely visible, they really do blend in perfectly in this environment.

Snapshot_93.1631168564.png

Snapshot_94.1631168587.png

This one was at just over 55 yards and I hit a bit low still throwing him into a spin and down to the ground where Marley recovered.

Snapshot_95.1631168664.png

Snapshot_96.1631168686.png

By this time it was late afternoon and with some nasty looking clouds coming our way I decided to head back towards the camp. When we come out on these adventures it's not uncommon for us to hike up to 10+ miles in a day, it can get tiring carrying a full pack, rifle and camera equipment. My legs were sore but it really was a beautiful location to explore with our total kill count for the day to about 15.

Snapshot_97.1631168868.png

Back at camp I spent some time collecting firewood and preparing my dinner for the night that I expected would be down into the 30's with slight chance of rain and snow.

Snapshot_99.1631169139.png

After cooking a nice steak along with some potatoes I settled in for the night with the hopes that the following day would bring plenty of sunshine.

The next morning Marley and I got up around 7:30am to meet the sun and to prepare my pack for another venture from camp. 

Snapshot_100.1631169296.png

The first thing I do while I'm waiting for my coffee to brew is to set my tank and rifle out into the sun to let it warm up a bit, sometimes when my tank is low I can bring the pressure up a few hundred psi just by doing this.

Snapshot_103.1631169426.png

I loaded up the magazines with the 34gr NSA's, topped off the gun and proceeded to enjoy my morning brew before heading out on the trail again. 

Snapshot_101.1631169513.png

Thankfully we had much more sun than the day before that gave me hope that the Ground Squirrels would be much more active, I could hear them barking in the distance from the nearby rocks. I had scouted a few areas to hit the day before so was quite familiar with my plan of action as far as the hot spots of the area. Marley and I proceeded down the cattle trail and managed to make it just about a mile before setting up to make a few shots.

Snapshot_106.1631169721.png

Snapshot_107.1631169744.png

Snapshot_108.1631169770.png

Snapshot_109.1631169792.png

Snapshot_111.1631169826.png

Snapshot_113.1631169847.png

Snapshot_114.1631169863.png

As you can see we had some pretty good action right off the bat with shot from 40 yards all the way out to 120+ with a few that were getting fairly acrobatic. 

Snapshot_115.1631169961.png

Snapshot_116.1631169974.png

Snapshot_117.1631169985.png

This was a spectacular location to hunt but unfortunately after lunch the weather turned bad ultimately forcing me to pack up the Jeep and head down to the lower elevations. The total for this trip was easily over 50 and I think if it had been a bit warmer I could have easily doubled that number. Marley and I both had a great time getting out for some good hiking and are so fortunate to be able to do these trips. The RAW worked very well for us, my only real complaint is the moderator that I have found to be completely worthless and the stock that to me seems far to delicate to heavily use in the field. Enclosed is this trip that I have documented in video form that I hope some may enjoy as much as we did to making it. Hope to share more when the time allows, Cheers! 

https://youtu.be/WKO8jsGPf1I

@crosman999 Glad to see you and Marley were able to get out enjoy yourselves. This pictorial was a nice way to start the day with my coffee, I will watch the video later.

Also, I would never see myself purchasing a RAW as above for a field rifle, too long for one. Interesting how your comments on the moderator contradicted other reviews, but I believe yours. :D 

Lastly, glad to see you’re finally getting some wet weather there on the coast to reduce the fire hazards.

P.s. This is the hunting section. Also, from all of Dana’s videos I see him kill for purpose, not indiscriminately. He even eats jackrabbits, which I doubt know if I would ever do with the jacks up in the Intermountain West because of disease transmission.

Nice Dana, I agree with the comments about the moderator and stock. A while back I had a problem with our stock but RAW took good care of me. I didn’t like the moderator either so I had my neighbor, Neil C. make me a better one. Hopefully they’ll solve the problem once and for all in the near future, they are phenomenally accurate, reliable air guns. Have a good one bud.

Stoti

16C68BAE-7EAA-4FD3-A436-B479C86D4B10.1631201867.jpeg

I though I had seem some reports where AF/Raw was moving away from the offset moderator?? Or perhaps those were some one off's where they went with a standard moderators due to supply issues?

I have no idea but this one is terrible, just cosmetics and does little to nothing to quiet the report. When I received the gun the stock was broken, AF thankfully sent a replacement. The nature of the laminate is just really weak around the grip area and chances are it will break again. Since this report the gun has been returned, accurate and simple design but far from high end. 

@crosman999 I want to say I really appreciate the work you put into not just your videos, but posts here on AGN. You just don't say, VIDEO out, you put in a whole intro pictorial of the video's storyline. Much appreciated.

Maybe I don't agree with everything this video has to offer, but I do agree it seems professionally made and I can appreciate the effort put forth!!

All judgement aside, what do you do with the squirrels? Any useful purpose for the pelts?

Few realize that these Squirrels can carry the bubonic plague, although it's somewhat rare it does happen. The holes they dig can harbor Assassin Bugs also called Conenose Bugs or Kissing Bugs that can be infected with the parasite Trypanosoma cruzi, and it causes Chagas disease in humans and other mammals. Aside from carrying and promoting disease the Ground Squirrels cause serious damage to forest environments and are a safety concern to the ranchers. Ground Squirrels burrow in and around trees causing water erosion, ultimately killing the trees in periods of over just a few years. The next serious concerns are the holes they create in pastures where cattle will step in them and break legs. Last year one of our properties had a dozen cattle break legs, this is a huge financial hardship for the ranchers as well as a sad situation for the cattle, some of which were calf's. Over the years I have seen first hand the damage the Ground Squirrels cause large properties if not controlled with regular abatement. These Ground Squirrels are not of the healthy eating variety such as tree squirrels and I would NOT recommend consuming them. I'm not aware what one could do with the "pelts" and in all honesty handle them as little as possible due to the health risk. The majority of them die in their holes or in and around the rocks, generally consumed by other Ground Squirrels or snakes....YES they are cannibalistic and I have personally witnessed them feed on those who have yet to expire...very gross! In areas that have long Summer months the breeding is extended and in many cases just a few pairs can turn into several thousand in just a few seasons.