Ground Squirrel Control

Hello,
This is my first post here.
Had some time this week to head out to one of my new permissions. Cattle grazing area with a ton of ground squirrels.
Got 40 squirrels in just under an hour.
Guns are both .22
Impact M3 shooting 26gr javelins @ 980FPS
Wildcat MK3 BT Compact shooting H&N Baracuda 21.14 @ 890FPS
D372F79E-4293-4BE7-BBC0-8352C8115526.jpeg

You lucky No Cal guy! Here in SoCal the ground squirrel "season" has NOT been prolific. The weather stayed cool, wet & overcast for WAAAAAY longer than usual & really messed with the breeding/birthing season. They're not out in force like usual.
Theres a whole lot of them up here this year.
Properties that I cleared out last year are already back to normal now.

Hello,
Had some time this week to head out to one of my new permissions. Cattle grazing area with a ton of ground squirrels.
Guns are both .22
View attachment 377215
Good shooting. You might not be aware but the fleas on ground squirrels in Canhave been found to carry bubonic plague. While it’s nice to get a picture at the end of the day, be very careful if you handle them. I have a squirrel permission also and I leave
them where they’re shot. I don’t even get close enough to take
pictures

Good shooting. You might not be aware but the fleas on ground squirrels in Canhave been found to carry bubonic plague. While it’s nice to get a picture at the end of the day, be very careful if you handle them. I have a squirrel permission also and I leave
them where they’re shot. I don’t even get close enough to take
pictures

👆👆👆👆👆 also the fleas can detect when the host dies and they will actively look for new host/meal.

Last edited:
Reactions: SHOMER
Hello,
Guns are both .22
View attachment 377215
Howdy neighbor, I'm literally next door to you.SUPER haul, was out on Wednesday, cloudy and cold the darn critters were all snug in their burrows, then FINALLY about 10 the sun comes out and we've got a friggin' hurricane going, managed to get one confirmed and a recording of possibly a few more, couldn't find the bodies. I have to go out between 75 and 120 yards or they spook.

1691114729573.jpeg

HK

Last edited:
Hello,
Guns are both .22
View attachment 377215
Question, what range are you shooting them at?

When I have to move the bodies I use one of those trash pickers that's on a stick and has grabbers, it's activated by squeezing the handles. I don't leave them lying around in the corrals.View attachment 377961
Put them out and away belly up, the vultures will get them or the Coyotes, maybe even Raptors.

Yeah we use grabbers and gloves. Some permissions want them moved away from livestock so we usually throw them to the side for the buzzards.
Yeah we use grabbers and gloves. Some permissions want them moved away from livestock so we usually throw them to the side for the buzzards.
What range / distance are you shooting them at?