Ground Snowshoe tacos.

Another productive outing for hares.
These three were shot walking the logging roads on public land. Both my father in law and son spotted hares, in the pic.
The hares are starting to change, still white but loosing a lot of fur when handling them.
Sent these three into the grinder.
It’s not beef but it’s very close to it.
Kid tested, wife approved.

A0DE9892-84C6-48C0-9C72-4B177CBA533F.jpeg

48477AE0-72D0-4F0C-90AE-65ED44EBC8CA.jpeg

Attachments

• 9D3594C7-5B09-4F02-9545-2B21A2784CA3.jpeg
    9D3594C7-5B09-4F02-9545-2B21A2784CA3.jpeg
    623.9 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
They are bigger than I thought. On second thought, winter fur coat is still thick.

Looks like ground beef, but does it taste more like chicken? I had rabbit cacciatore once and that’s what it most resembled, with a different “fiber” to the meat. Rabbit and hare meat would be similar, I think, at least more so than beef and hare.

Reactions: Jheikkila
They are bigger than I thought. On second thought, winter fur coat is still thick.

Looks like ground beef, but does it taste more like chicken? I had rabbit cacciatore once and that’s what it most resembled, with a different “fiber” to the meat. Rabbit and hare meat would be similar, I think, at least more so than beef and hare.
It’s closer to beef or pork. Hares are more of a red meat. Cottontails have a white meat.
There is a different texture than beef. But I’m going to play around with the grind size and grind it 3/4 frozen. This should help bring it closer to beef. But I’m not to worried about it. I don’t mind my game being different that’s part of the enjoyment.

Reactions: jetpopt
It’s closer to beef or pork. Hares are more of a red meat. Cottontails have a white meat.
There is a different texture than beef. But I’m going to play around with the grind size and grind it 3/4 frozen. This should help bring it closer to beef. But I’m not to worried about it. I don’t mind my game being different that’s part of the enjoyment.
Interesting. I read that, in humans anyway, white muscle tissue is for sprint efforts and red muscle tissue is for endurance. Makes sense based on what I’ve seen; cottontails either freeze and “turn invisible” in the presence of a threat or they flee as fast as they can go. Jackrabbits tend to move away more casually, only bounding fast if the threat pursues it. I don’t know if snowshoe hares do the same. The meat from domestic rabbit is supposedly the New Zealand White breed.

Reactions: Jheikkila
Interesting. I read that, in humans anyway, white muscle tissue is for sprint efforts and red muscle tissue is for endurance. Makes sense based on what I’ve seen; cottontails either freeze and “turn invisible” in the presence of a threat or they flee as fast as they can go. Jackrabbits tend to move away more casually, only bounding fast if the threat pursues it. I don’t know if snowshoe hares do the same. The meat from domestic rabbit is supposedly the New Zealand White breed.
Yes the Snowshoes also just slowly move off. They are confident in their ability to outrun predators. Seem to work well for them unless the predator has a airgun. :)

Reactions: jetpopt