• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Griffin or Impact ?? Your thoughts??

Hi everyone -
I am fairly new to PCP air rifles, but the bug has definitely bitten me and I love them… I am now considering an upgrade and have been looking at both the FX impact and the Daystate Griffin.
I realize this is a little bit apples and oranges, but by chance does anybody actually own both of these and or would you be willing to share some thoughts with someone very excited about moving into this level of quality air rifle next?
Any thoughts you're willing to share with me would be most appreciated… Thanks very much and I hope you've all had a wonderful Thanksgiving (in the US, anyway)!!
All my best, 
Courtland from Pittsburgh, PA 

iv had the impact great gun had air wolf great gun also air ranger which i still own. also had regal which was great. if I'm not mistaken the griffin is a breach block like or close to these very air efficient if u are benchrest and putting paper to shame get the daystate the impact is great gun but just wasn't for me so if your close to supply house try them out 

Pretty sure the Griffin is a tricked up Regal XL. Even though I have one (Regal), it is new to me, so don’t want to give premature advice. 
What do you want to do with it? They can both be Bench Rest guns, but the Griffin was specifically made to be one. The Impact will be more versatile, can change calibers, ultra configurable, can change calibers, and will probably have the new Smooth Twist X barrels available soon. But it’s complicated, has a lot of points of failure, most owners don’t recommend it to newbies. 
Are these your last two choices? Would you consider others? 
Hope this has helped more than confused you. Good luck. 

I’d say Impact or a nice Daystate like the Airwolf or Wolverine Hi-Lite. 

I own all 3 of these guns and they are all great in their own right.

Want a shooter right out of the box, get a Wolverine. 

Want high tech with an impossibly perfect trigger, Airwolf. 

Want to tinker and tune your gun to turn it into a tack driver, definitely go with the Impact. (Very satisfying gun to fine tune.)

I think other considerations between your “Top 2” would be:
1. What’s your air source, dive cylinder, pump or air compressor?
2. What’s the max fill pressure and max shot count and which air sources will provide that?
3. What type of shooting will you be doing, where and at what distances?
4. What caliber/ Power are you after? (Remember more power generally equates to more noise and less shot count).
5. Will you want a gun that shoots at different power levels or is that something that you will probably never use?
6. How confident are you at experimenting with varying gun settings?
Make a simple spreadsheet against each gun so you can compare the pros and cons of each and then let us know what you decided and why as that will help others in a similar situation 

Reactions: Courtland
Pros cons to each from my point of view:

Griffin pros:

Fit and finish are excellent. Wood is perfect, and metal is perfect....nice attention to detail. Functionality is very good, with smooth operation of bolt handle. Excellent Accuracy. Nice two stage trigger. Adjustable cheek rest and butt pad. Designed for competition and is not very heavy overall. Threaded for added accessories. Not to bad to pump up.

Cons:
Unregulated. It is very well designed, however the limited modifications that can be performed means that full 30fpe in a 5.5mm caliber is currently unattainable. Loud out of the box. Only 20fpe (or under) regulated. Takes time and decent effort to figure out how to adjust the slingshot hammer system perfectly. Really designed for competition, and has really one main purpose, although a person can use it for anything if they wish.

FX Impact pros:
Highly degree of custom settings too allow different power levels (power wheel) as well as calibers. Excellent Accuracy. Very efficient valve and unique hammer system that limits the air waste when the hammer strikes the valve. Side lever operation is smooth and consistent. Bottle fed with adjustable regulator. High capacity magazines. Is very quiet especially with the smaller calibers. Adjustable butt pad. Very utilitarian, very good in the field for hunting, short compact, high capacity air cylinder. Also designed for competition shooting and is currently used by many.

Cons:

Mine arrived with issues that needed to be sorted. I got the first generation of Impacts. Lots of O-rings and places where it can leak (but overall hasn't leaked since being fixed). Trigger to me took a while to get used to. It is a two stage trigger. When it is setup correctly it is very very nice. But if it is not setup correctly it can feel mushy or have only one stage. I finally got used to mine and also tweaking it, so I like my trigger now, but it did take some time to figure out. You really would need a compressor to enjoy this gun.

Basically I like both guns....but each gun fills a different purpose for me.....