• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Great News for Raptor Owners

As man o fyou know, I've had very good accuracy from the Raptor Prototype I have after in stalling an FX Heavy bbl. for shooting slugs in my gun. However, it was not a happy time. It is well known that the Raptor suffers from a not so well designed valve and seat that loves to fail. Particularly in HP applications.

I've had a hard time keeping this one to myself for about a year now. Don Cothran Machine to the Rescue!

Don wanted the factory valve to see what the issues were as it was in reality a poor copy of his valve designs. Due to work load, and health issues, Mr. Don was held up in the project for quite some time. that and he wanted to completely redesign it to his standards and went even further along with extensive testing.

A fellow member here also sent Mr. Don a complete gun as mine was a prototype and may be different that the production pieces.

The new valve is built like a Tank and is beautifully machined.

Don cautioned me to use very light spring pressure and only the slightest hammer strike and hammer pin setting limiting travel. With his advice, I removed the rather high rate spring and replaced it with a shorter and lighter one I have here. the results were unreal! As often Cothran valves are. 

At the very latest setting on the reg, 2300 psi compared the the previous 3000 psi, light spring barley touching he hammer. Well Not actually touch it at all allowing a good bit of free travel, and the striking pin backed out to only allow well less than 3/32nds travel of the valve stem, the gun went super sonic with pellets. (I only used pellets for the initial tune as I don't' normally shoot pellets.

I loaded the 37.6 grain slugs I cast for it and it was already matching the velocity of the heavy set up with no further adjustments what so ever. First shot was 960 fps for 77 fpe. 

Woo-Hoo! Finally success with a valve that doesn't have to be taken out every other day. I could not possibly say how many times I've had the gun apart to once again replace the valve seat. Many-Many times. Had it not been at the time my only slug shooter, I would have given up, or simply wrapped it around a tree. GRRRRRRR!!!

Every thing is machined out of billet. Heck, even the screws that retain the valve in the air tube are machined for a custom fit by Mr. Don. Absolutely superb workmanship. 

I have heard of Cothran Machine and his work for years, but his workmanship exceeded an expatiations I had. 

Her are a few quick and poor pic's of Hiss outstanding work.

The good news is, now that he has it perfected, he has made a limited run of these valves. So they are available for those of us that need them or want higher performance. 

Everything fit beautifully as it it was made for it. Oh wait, it was. LOL!

My apologies for not including the pic of the actual transfer port, Getting old I guess. 

Man, this thing flows some air! cocking force, as it is a balanced valve is virtually non existent. Just a pure pleasure. 
DSC02593.1634212647.JPG
DSC02598.1634212659.JPG
The offending Monster

Knife

DSC02884.1634212420.JPG
DSC02886.1634212429.JPG
DSC02887.1634212436.JPG
DSC02888.1634212441.JPG
 Come on man, he actually machined the screws form high tinsel Stainless Steel Round stock. Who does that? A perfectionist. 

Yup, Don is good at it for sure. He made me a few Crosman valves for my converted to PCP guns some years back. The arrowgun I built has one of his valves in it. I could not come close to matching the 150FPE it puts out with anything I have built. The valve and an increase in pressure took the velocity of my arrow from the mid 200fps all the way up to 432fps. that was insane. Ruined allot of arrows I did.

He sells all kinds of bling for the Crosman guns too.

https://cothranmachine.com/powerhouse-valve-for-7-8-180-transfer/

The arrowgun saga.

https://www.airgunnation.com/topic/i-built-an-arrowgun-recovered-from-the-crosman-green-forum/?referrer=1

Good that you were finally able to get your gun werqing again too. His valves give us years of trouble free shooting.

Very good news indeed Knife. I knew you had something brewing behind the scenes and this would explain it. I’m assuming this valve is going to function much like the valves he makes for the disco and marauder. 3/32” of valve travel is quite short. I’ve never actually measured what either of my big power rifles use but I’m certain its a lot more than that. Do you know where if there’s been anything done to the valve to help with faster closing and increasing the efficiency? I do have one of his disco valves and it’s appetite for air is unreal. 

It is almost midnight here. Due to my many years of working with red hot steel, I worked at night to avoid the unreal heat we have here in Texas. I haven't been able to shake the habit. LOL Sure works out well for AG testing as there is much less wind here at night. todays gust were over 30 mps and pla

Thanks so much for the response guys, and Yep Denis, I always have something under my sleeve. Your gonna love the next thing. ;<)

Mike/Knife

Very good news indeed Knife. I knew you had something brewing behind the scenes and this would explain it. I’m assuming this valve is going to function much like the valves he makes for the disco and marauder. 3/32” of valve travel is quite short. I’ve never actually measured what either of my big power rifles use but I’m certain its a lot more than that. Do you know where if there’s been anything done to the valve to help with faster closing and increasing the efficiency? I do have one of his disco valves and it’s appetite for air is unreal.

Mr. Don stated that he made quite a few changes for efficiency. ;<)

Mike

Just so you guys know, JSAR is now under a new management. I met Matt Hove at EBR this year. He was testing about a half dozen Raptors in all calibers and powers. Yes, he showed me a NEW prototype balanced valve also. He been working hard to fix the issues that both JSAR's technical and business issues.

During the competition Matt sought out experience shooters and had them shoot his gun and asked for feedback. He was not disappointed in any negatives expressed by the shooters. He took the constructive criticism very well and seemed very motivated to know what we thought.

Keep and eye on the company. 

Hey Mike, thanks for posting! I was wondering how things were going for ya. Mr Cothran gave me the green light to go say he has his Valve kit available for the Raptor. I guess I'm the other guy that sent him a complete gun awhile back. I hope I'm not wrong in saying but I think it's a direct drop in /plug and play for the Raptor. So I went to the range and forgot the spanner wrench to adjust the regulator also my SCBA tank was low on air at 3,200 PSI. My reg set pressure was 2100 PSI. I put a 25 caliber 25 grain jsb and take a shot zing 980 on the Chrono with a big blast of Aftershock air out the barrel. . Took a some more shots very little accuracy too much air what really surprised me was feet per second was within five and a couple few duplicates. I called Mr Cothran as usual he answers the phone and I asked him is it okay if I turn the striker screw out and adjust the hammer screw out and he says yes it's okay. The rifle range was occupied by rifles so I went to the pistol range and turned around backwards so I could shoot across the field picked out a tree a hundred yards away start shooting slugs getting an inch inch and a half group at 100 yards as according to the parallax on my scope. So all the rifles left the rifle range and I went over there and set up start shooting pellets.... Best accuracy was when I fell off the reg around 1800 PSI start stacking pellets / dime size 50 yards.... Shoot across the crony 850 psi. Yes I've heard many times they like to go in around that speed not surprised. So I know it can be tuned down to shoot pellets. I have very minimal knowledge of air guns and tuning but I get the distinct feeling this setup will really shine when you crank everything up . Thanks again Mike for helping me get Mr Cothran some credit where due.
IMG_20211014_153413.1634317507.jpg
IMG_20211014_142539.1634317508.jpg

Just so you guys know, JSAR is now under a new management. I met Matt Hove at EBR this year. He was testing about a half dozen Raptors in all calibers and powers. Yes, he showed me a NEW prototype balanced valve also. He been working hard to fix the issues that both JSAR's technical and business issues.

During the competition Matt sought out experience shooters and had them shoot his gun and asked for feedback. He was not disappointed in any negatives expressed by the shooters. He took the constructive criticism very well and seemed very motivated to know what we thought.

Keep and eye on the company. 

It sure isn't good for their future success that they are ignoring any and all contacts.

Knife

Hey Mike, thanks for posting! I was wondering how things were going for ya. Mr Cothran gave me the green light to go say he has his Valve kit available for the Raptor. I guess I'm the other guy that sent him a complete gun awhile back. I hope I'm not wrong in saying but I think it's a direct drop in /plug and play for the Raptor. So I went to the range and forgot the spanner wrench to adjust the regulator also my SCBA tank was low on air at 3,200 PSI. My reg set pressure was 2100 PSI. I put a 25 caliber 25 grain jsb and take a shot zing 980 on the Chrono with a big blast of Aftershock air out the barrel. . Took a some more shots very little accuracy too much air what really surprised me was feet per second was within five and a couple few duplicates. I called Mr Cothran as usual he answers the phone and I asked him is it okay if I turn the striker screw out and adjust the hammer screw out and he says yes it's okay. The rifle range was occupied by rifles so I went to the pistol range and turned around backwards so I could shoot across the field picked out a tree a hundred yards away start shooting slugs getting an inch inch and a half group at 100 yards as according to the parallax on my scope. So all the rifles left the rifle range and I went over there and set up start shooting pellets.... Best accuracy was when I fell off the reg around 1800 PSI start stacking pellets / dime size 50 yards.... Shoot across the crony 850 psi. Yes I've heard many times they like to go in around that speed not surprised. So I know it can be tuned down to shoot pellets. I have very minimal knowledge of air guns and tuning but I get the distinct feeling this setup will really shine when you crank everything up . Thanks again Mike for helping me get Mr Cothran some credit where due.
IMG_20211014_153413.1634317507.jpg
IMG_20211014_142539.1634317508.jpg

He deserves all the credit available to him. Fine workmanship! He sure has been thru a hard time and still he keeps at it. I know he is in a lot of pain. 

Yep, most find the pellet shooters lie between 850 and 880's, with slugs and , polly barreled pellet shooters able to go higher.

Thank you for the intro to Mr. Don. We talk in depth fairly often. But I did back off after his surgery. I just didn't want to bother him. 

Thanks again Guy! :<)

Knife

Dennis, he redesigned much of it for efficiency.. So far, impressed! Mike

Dennis, he redesigned much of it for efficiency.. So far, impressed! Mike

So, I gather from reading this that the one valve fits both the full size and mini Raptors. I assume the same valve configuration used on Blair240's Raptor is what you are using on your mini; is this so?