• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!

Grands at 100y

thomasair

Manufacturer
Nov 6, 2016
Colorado, United States
Was heavy wind all day. Got this in just before dark when the wind was only 8-17 mph. 😀 Wind was fishtailing between 11:00 and 1:00. 45 shots at 100y. 930 fps.

IMG_2557.jpeg

:unsure:TBH ..the groupings looks messy and not a typical group i am accustomed to see from a Thomas. The one that landed below the "EA" especially.
Mike has done other groups straight from tins that have stayed much tighter.
BUT ....
Of course i am getting some .. Of course i will see how they react in my rifle. Mine were supposed to come today, but weather delays:cry:
Am I a liitle sick in the head
OF COURSE I AM:LOL:

Reactions: beerthief
:unsure:TBH ..the groupings looks messy and not a typical group i am accustomed to see from a Thomas. The one that landed below the "EA" especially.
Mike has done other groups straight from tins that have stayed much tighter.
BUT ....
Of course i am getting some .. Of course i will see how they react in my rifle. Mine were supposed to come today, but weather delays:cry:
Am I a liitle sick in the head
OF COURSE I AM:LOL:
Mike has done other groups that weren't in 8-17 mph wind. I'm a bit shocked that someone would expect there to be no difference.

Linda, I think it's too early to tell. I'm happy with how the first 100 or so have done. The problem will be that there will be 20 different variations of these that will come off the line. Same old story.

Mike

I appreciate the context.

Groups without the description of the conditions mean nothing (except that the person sharing them is less than honest).

(What I'm trying to say here is that context isn't excuses, ie the wind is blowing or the bench situation is less than ideal, etc, all of those factors influence the accuracy and precision, and general results).

Mike - looks very promising, given these are pellets and not slugs at 100y! And, that wind blows 25g pellets around a whole lot. Once I get my Grand 28g pellets, will post a similar group at 100y. Not sure my RAW can get me to 930 FPS if needed, but I will Chrony with the new Garmin.

What was your POA for all 45 shots? Did you keep the same exact hold for all 45? Could you tell if they spiraled?

I appreciate the context.

Groups without the description of the conditions mean nothing (except that the person sharing them is less than honest).

(What I'm trying to say here is that context isn't excuses, ie the wind is blowing or the bench situation is less than ideal, etc, all of those factors influence the accuracy and precision, and general results).
I'm not following, Cole. I'm pleased with how the gun was grouping and made no excuses.

Tommy, I certainly did not hold in one place....but given the angle of the wind I did not hold more than an inch and a half right or left. No spirals

Mike

I'm not following, Cole. I'm pleased with how the gun was grouping and made no excuses.

Tommy, I certainly did not hold in one place....but given the angle of the wind I did not hold more than an inch and a half right or left. No spirals

Mike

I know that your description of the conditions isn't excuses, but others appsrently needed to see that.

I agree, that group with the Grands is pretty dang good, especially for the wind in which they were shot.

Last edited:
Reactions: steve123

Mike

Ok, thanks for clarifying. The reason for my question is that when I shoot groups ( not score), I almost always use the same POA regardless of wind. I normally do this at 50y and less to test a given pellet and velocity. When shooting for score, always have to use the wind for changing POAs.

Geez a 1 1/2 “ wind hold wasn’t bad and glad there were no spirals. Your experience with the Grands at 100y was really solid in my book, especially with that wind.

It should be fun to see how my RAW does at 100y. But, I want to post the results so we can get some early experiences with various rifles with the new 28g.