• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Grand kids and video games

Reactive targets, lollipops, sidewalk chalk, ice cubes, balloons, etc. Some kids get bored easily... Also depends on what you're giving them to shoot. Some of the replica CO2 guns might entice them. Kids want action... We run a juniors program at our sports men's club. And I've seen first hand how quickly kids get bored with certain aspects of shooting. When I let them play with my dedicated .22 LR AR setup, they perk up quick. The fundamentals are non negotiable, but after that we let them have fun.

A buddy is just getting into PCP airguns to shoot in his yard with his grandkids. I recommended he buy either a Marauder or an Akela, since they were both in stock at Crosman this week, and the AGNATION discount is pretty wonderful.

I mentioned what I felt were the pros and cons of each gun. I further mentioned that if the grandkids played video games, they might be more drawn to the bullpup form factor of the Akela.

He bought the Akela and should be getting it soon. I am anxious to see whether my thought process is correct. Many folks who know me don't feel that I am much different from a kid anyway...

And I do second the recommendation for reactive targets. Kids definitely don't want to start out punching paper. Have a paper target out for the kids to try and shoot a few bulls. Adjust the scope so the POI is right for them, and let them go. Charms Mini-Pops have drawn a lot of non airgun shooters to want to try it in my experience. After they get better at hitting the candy, I make them first cut the stick before they can move onto the next one. Just amazes them when they can do that. The little AV Slynger steel target animals are fun too. Heck, at less than $5 a set on Amazon, you can get 4 sets, set them all up, and not have to go downrange to reset all that often. Spinners are fun too.

Yea i got gamo field targets and some swinger targets got him to sight in his gun ( a pumper with scope) then let him shoot my aa t200 till he hit a couple targets then he wanted to go back to the video games. I thought i had him on the hook for a bit cause he hit the 20 yd chicken i was shooting ( i let him shoot a 22 chicken at 20 to start) and he seemed pretty excited but nope he was ready to go.

Something which 'explodes' when hit may help. We don't have kids or grand kids, but all of the 'adult kids' I have introduced to air gunning love that 'pop' sound when the target is hit - much like when you hit a ground squirrel square in the noggin. It keeps bringing them back for more - and now 4 of them own PCP rifles.

Pop Explode Still.1622082086.jpg

My almost ten year old grandson is coming this weekend to spend a week. I think the big reason he wants to come is to go shooting, At least one trip to the range for .22LR and daily with air guns in the back yard. He has his video games but they seem to hold second place to the real thing.

An old soda can with his BB gun keeps him going for hours.

1) Big, easy targets. Nobody wants to miss 8 of 10 because you're trying to get them to hit a nickel or smaller their first time out. Success breeds enthusiasm. You can make the targets smaller and the challenges harder over time, but that first time - being uber successful (even if it's easy success) encourages them to want to keep going.

2) Fun targets (as mentioned above). There's not much more satisfying than the 'ting' of hitting metal and watching something spin or drop. Paper is boring for kids, even for me as an adult. There are too many inexpensive spinners and resetting doodads out there not to have a bunch of interesting things to shoot and watch react. Or, of course, DIY some stuff. I had my wife put out a cigarette (sitting on a can of course) her first time out. We're going to try some birthday candles this weekend. I don't think most kids are as into the pigeon and squirrel targets because they're too cute to shoot. Try the paper 'bleeding' zombie targets. Metal targets that look like sasquatch or something. Realism isn't a positive factor here.

3) Fun guns. It's cool to have sniper style rifle, as those are all in video games. But having something that looks like a machine gun and can do 20+ rounds on semi auto before a reload is FUN. As long as it's done safely, a little bit of spray and pray is a lot of fun. Sure, you don't get a TON of perfect hits, but obliterating 5-10 cans out of a 20 round mag is awesome.

4) Big ammo storage. This should be more of a 3a, but...nobody likes to stop and reload. Either have tons of extra preloaded mags ready, or a gun the the most amount of shots between reloads to keep the boredom factor down is important. The moment they put the gun down for the long reload, the clock on their attention span starts ticking. Have another mag, another gun, whatever, ready to go so the fun doesn't stop for long.

5) Consistent positive feedback. This goes a lot with #1. While SAFETY is priority, feedback should be overwhelmingly positive. Those of us who work hard to 'hone' our craft have spent years doing so, and we're often compelled to want to teach, maybe a little too much. Some of the basics are good, but if targets are going down, better shooting techniques can be slowly trained. Constant correction and advice feels like criticism to a younger one, so letting them shoot and have fun should be way more important than trying to get them to shoot between hearbeats. 

I believe I'm that grandkid. Well, I like shooting, but I'm not a fan of holding a real weapon, so I do it not really often. I like computer games because I know that I can't hurt anyone there. Also, csgo provides a variety of weapons that I know I can't have in real life, like ak 47 vulcan, so I just play games to have it at least virtually.

I like sex but I'm not a. Fan of holding a real woman...

Thank God for pic, eh?

Sometimes it pays to do a little introspection...

1f914.svg

I made the mistake of assuming you understood the sarcasm ... Until I took the time to read your post history.

If you are tracking people on this forum, I suppose that is your own business.

Marking place markers is a pretty amateurish way to go about it though. If there. Is something you would like to know a simple PM is easier.

Flagged for reference.

I believe I'm that grandkid. Well, I like shooting, but I'm not a fan of holding a real weapon, so I do it not really often. I like computer games because I know that I can't hurt anyone there. Also, csgo provides a variety of weapons that I know I can't have in real life, like ak 47 vulcan, so I just play games to have it at least virtually.

Thank God for pic, eh?

1f914.svg

I made the mistake of assuming you understood the sarcasm ... Until I took the time to read your post history.

Marking place markers is a pretty amateurish way to go about it though. If there. Is something you would like to know a simple PM is easier.

Flagged for reference.

I was agreeing with you, and made a crude joke. then realized this is a board "for all ages" and tried to delete my post, but I couldn't, only edit it. so I just edited everything out and saved it. chill out bro, nobody is "tracking" you. Everybody on this forum is so paranoid it's getting ridiculous

Thank God for pic, eh?

1f914.svg

Flagged for reference.

I was agreeing with you, and made a crude joke. then realized this is a board "for all ages" and tried to delete my post, but I couldn't, only edit it. so I just edited everything out and saved it. chill out bro, nobody is "tracking" you. Everybody on this forum is so paranoid it's getting ridiculous

:p I guess a moderator actually deleted your post. You can flag a post and ask they delete it. Sometimes when I get a duplicate I will do that. They really are quite good on this site.