Taipan Gotta problem...

That's no bueno. You going to try and clean it up or just get another barrel? If that's even a thing.

I'd try some small jewelers files and jewelers glasses. Should be able to smooth those edges off without cutting into the groove edges.
I'm not sure yet. I might try fire lapping and see if that will help it. Or maybe reach out to professionals and see if they can recrown for me.

Reactions: Dr. Kralenstein
The OEM barrel that came in my Vet Long was excessively choked, even for a Veteran. It didn't have this burring right at the ends of the rifling though.

That barrel was fixed by aggressive polishing and fire-lapping. Since I didn't want to firelap the entire length, I did it this way.....Bare barrel (no shroud, no mod, nothing. Turn down the hammer tension to the point that pellets will just barely exit. I used some of the Seneca (Eun Jin) pellets with three essentially lube rings in the head of the pellet, thought being that those rings would help the abrasive stay between the head and rifling the longest. With gun decocked and no pellet in the breech I'd use a qtip to poke a bunch of 280grit Clover into the last inch of the barrel, at the muzzle. Then I'd shoot 5 or so shots, then repeat. Eventually it opened up the choke to the point that pellets measured groove to groove went from 0.211-0.212 (measurements before process) to 0.215-0.216 (measurements after process). And pellets pushed through with a rod still felt resistance, but not that absolute wall of constriction that was felt before the process.

As for results, it went from not keeping .22MRDs on an 8x11 sheet of paper @ 100yards, to keeping 95% of them under 1.75 @ that same distance. So I didn't make it an MOA shooter (I blame the pellets) but it did make it a usable barrel for hunting/plinking/pesting.

Reactions: Dairyboy
In the other discussion where you shared this I commented that you got the standard Taipan Veteran tight choke, but on a second review I'm thinking it's more than just a tight choke.
I must have missed it unless you mean the lapping thread. Haven't checked there yet. That is unfortunate and have heard of the tight choke but this one is literally just at the crown. The pellet stops right at the edge. I think a good recrown might work but also could fire lap also and see how it goes.

I can't say I've seen this before personally. I've had tight choked guns but the burs are shockingly not something I've had before even on cheap guns. And a bent shroud on top of it. Glad I got this gun for cheap. I chased my tail all day today where I'd get pretty decent groups then all falls apart. Noticed the wind seemed to really affect the pellets. Now I understand why

Same condition common to JTS Airacuda Max, solid metal DonnyFL adapter corrects by forcing muzzle level with shroud end. Can shroud be swapped end-for-end? Firewalker suggested this for Max and one end turned out to be less out-of-round than the other. WM

I did true both ends eventually and it shoots well now.

I second the carbon fiber tube idea if practical.

Reactions: WorriedMan
Brass button head screw in an electric drill and lapping compound works well.
Yeah I can try, I've done many other things but at this point I want it done by a pro. Im good at less finesse stuff, being a farmer i can do many different things, but not with the attention to detail as one who specializes in these things. The barrel has shown great potential despite the issues so with it cleaned up and massaged by him I'd expect something great.

Yeah I can try, I've done many other things but at this point I want it done by a pro. Im good at less finesse stuff, being a farmer i can do many different things, but not with the attention to detail as one who specializes in these things. The barrel has shown great potential despite the issues so with it cleaned up and massaged by him I'd expect something great.
I get what you are saying but you know doing what @Joedirt199 said is super easy and it would be pretty difficult to mess up as the screws head self centers and improvement can be seen very early in the process. IOW it doesn't take much time or finesse.

Reactions: Dairyboy
I get what you are saying but you know doing what @Joedirt199 said is super easy and it would be pretty difficult to mess up as the screws head self centers and improvement can be seen very early in the process. IOW it doesn't take much time or finesse.
I found that I have the stuff to do it. Figured I might as well try and if it doesn't work I'll send it out.

Wow , ive never seen a crown like that . Good thing you caught it and didn't lose your cool .
Lol I was losing my cool yesterday cause I thought the bent shroud was my only problem. And when I was still chasing my tail to figure it out yeah I was stressed. Figured I'd pull the barrel and see how a pellet felt. Once I found that I felt way better ironically cause then i know i wasnt crazy lol annoying yes but a fixable problem. As a Taipan fan for years I'm shocked and find it unacceptable that this gun was sold. If this was new I wouldn't stop until I got a full refund. But being used and at a great price so be it I'll make it work cause I know how great they can be.

Reactions: Headshots
So I just gotta say thanks to those who pushed me just to try it. I saved myself alot of time and some money, on top of learning a new skill that I thought would be too hard but ended up being stupid easy albeit time consuming. Anyways here's my before picture.
20240421_203612.jpg

Here's my after
20240422_165011.jpg

Here's my "shot groups" yesterday
20240422_172217.jpg

Here's they are today
20240422_172226.jpg

Had some wind again today so can see the horizontal spread. Anyways first 2 groups I did 10 shots and could tell the barrel was "settling" after the crown job. These were the top left and middle. The top right and bottom row were 5 shots each of 18gr JTS. Then the E group is 5 with the 22.07gr JTS and the one above the m is 5 with the 21.53gr. I definitely need to visit these heavier pellets more as they seem to really like it. I'm amazed at what a crown job can do.