Taipan Gotta problem...

Turns out I have an issue....50yds 10 shots with shroud. There's one extra flier in there from a different pellet.

20240419_180925.jpg

10 shots right after without shroud

20240419_180919.jpg

Upon inspection the shroud is bent. How that happened I have no idea as there are no marks on the gun anywhere. Could have been from factory?? Thought to drill out the end cap for the clipping but the shroud is putting pressure on the barrel so I'm sure in different temps will cause POI shifts. Ideally I'd love to find a shroud from someone who removed there's or I just get a 30mm OD moderator. Thoughts?

Reactions: Hornclayton
30mm ID carbon fiber is easy to get ahold of. I have a 10" piece left over I'm making a hush puppy with. I've got the hook up for baffles to fit them too.

The guy has made me some 357 caliber baffles and some for 25 that fit the 30MM ID of my tube.

Whoops, you need OD of 30, not ID. Still easy to find and the guy I mentioned will make them in whatever size you need. 3D printed and about $20-$25 for a set of ten.

That's a sorta large diameter piece of tubing. Pretty difficult to bend short little piece of tube, without leaving marks.

How...do you know it's bent ?

Mike
Rolling on a flat surface shows it bent. And when screwing on shroud can watch gap increase and decrease as it's screwed on towards the muzzle end.

30mm ID carbon fiber is easy to get ahold of. I have a 10" piece left over I'm making a hush puppy with. I've got the hook up for baffles to fit them too.

The guy has made me some 357 caliber baffles and some for 25 that fit the 30MM ID of my tube.

Whoops, you need OD of 30, not ID. Still easy to find and the guy I mentioned will make them in whatever size you need. 3D printed and about $20-$25 for a set of ten.
That's an idea. I guess I can try and remove all the guts of my shroud and fit it in a CF tube.

Turns out I have an issue....50yds 10 shots with shroud. There's one extra flier in there from a different pellet.

View attachment 457450

10 shots right after without shroud

View attachment 457451

Upon inspection the shroud is bent. How that happened I have no idea as there are no marks on the gun anywhere. Could have been from factory?? Thought to drill out the end cap for the clipping but the shroud is putting pressure on the barrel so I'm sure in different temps will cause POI shifts. Ideally I'd love to find a shroud from someone who removed there's or I just get a 30mm OD moderator. Thoughts?
i had a bent shroud system from the factory on a Daystate product... never determined if it was a machining issue or shipping issue... it was NOT visually damaged but like yours was clipping

So I used a chop saw and cut it off behind the snap ring enough to fit the end cap. Cleaned up the sharp edges with some 600 grit sand paper. End cap I chucked up in a drill with a bolt in it and bent washer to center it. Used a flat file to take the threads off. Fit snug into the end but able to remove easily as well. Put it on and screwed the mod on all the way then tightened the end cap against it with the set screw. No noticeable bend when rolling on a flat surface now. Noise wise seems very quiet, no significant difference vs the full shroud that i can tell. Not too bad for about 15min in a rednecks hands. Will need to test accuracy tomorrow. Dont think ill keep it like this but for the time being it should at least allow me to shoot it until i decide on a permanent fix.
20240420_211411.jpg
20240420_211400.jpg
20240420_211944.jpg
20240420_211940.jpg

So I used a chop saw and cut it off behind the snap ring enough to fit the end cap. Cleaned up the sharp edges with some 600 grit sand paper. End cap I chucked up in a drill with a bolt in it and bent washer to center it. Used a flat file to take the threads off. Fit snug into the end but able to remove easily as well. Put it on and screwed the mod on all the way then tightened the end cap against it with the set screw. No noticeable bend when rolling on a flat surface now. Noise wise seems very quiet, no significant difference vs the full shroud that i can tell. Not too bad for about 15min in a rednecks hands. Will need to test accuracy tomorrow. Dont think ill keep it like this but for the time being it should at least allow me to shoot it until i decide on a permanent fix.
I'm trying to picture what was actually bent. Was it the shroud itself or the mod? I know the shroud on these things is pretty short.

The shroud itself was bent. On the long it's about 360mm long but yes it was bent slightly in the middle. I need to do more testing, was quite windy this morning but accuracy wasn't anything special with or without shroud. Could just simply be the wind which was variable and kind of swirly. Now I can't say there was any noticeable difference between the 2 so hoping that means I got it figured out.

Reactions: MACTEN
Congrats on the new Taipan . I've never heard of a bent shroud but it looks like found a good fix . Great looking setup. You'll be popping pests at 100y+ in no time .

I was testing out some different pellets yesterday and my .22 standard was shooting lights out with JTS 22.07gr DC pellets.

Was yours having problems with different ammo types ? I was testing some 16g Norma pellets and it looked like I was having clipping problems but switched to the JTS ammo and no more fliers . No more Normas in the Vet .

Reactions: TimeRabbit
The plot thickens! The crown on this barrel is full of burs. Hard to get on picture but here's what I can see. And these 2 pellets also, one pushed through all the way and one stopped at the crown as one can see its very drastic. Barrel is nice and smooth then hit the crown and is very hard to push through. It's almost as if the crown got folded back over it self.
20240421_203524.jpg
20240421_203612.jpg
20240421_203717.jpg