Got some chronograph numbers for my new Crosman 1322 pistols.

Hi all. I bought two .22 cal Crosman 1322 pistols and shot one of them through my Caldwell Precision Chronograph. I bought two so I could cut and shorten one's add-on shoulder stock for my 7-year old grandson. I used my Dremel to cut and epoxy to put it back together. The short stock worked out good for him. We enjoy busting gallon milk jugs (they're easier for him to hit), the sound of the pellet striking is pleasant.

The manual said no more than 10 pumps, but out of curiosity I went to 12, here's what I got with my chronograph. I was shooting JSB Match Jumbo Diabolo, 15.89 gr pellets.

5 pumps (done twice - shot 2 pellets) gave me an average of 362 fps,

10 pumps (done twice) gave me an average of 468 fps and

12 pumps (done twice) gave me an average of 489 fps. 

Some time has passed since I collected this data, so I don't know how the numbers may have changed.

The more pumps, the louder it gets. I shoot it in my yard and no one has complained.

14.5" LW barrel 14.3gr @460fps and 10 pumps and 530fps and 15 pumps. LW barrels have tight chokes that I believe have a large effect on velocity. My gun has a flat top valve and piston, as well as port work on the valve, transfer port, barrel, and probe. From what I understand there is really no need for flat top valves and pistons anymore as the current seal design in the piston is very effective.

My other 1322 with 7.6" LW barrel will shoot a 21 gr projectile at 770fps, but is a pcp, lol

I oil both seldomly. 

14.5" LW barrel 14.3gr @460fps and 10 pumps and 530fps and 15 pumps. LW barrels have tight chokes that I believe have a large effect on velocity. My gun has a flat top valve and piston, as well as port work on the valve, transfer port, barrel, and probe. From what I understand there is really no need for flat top valves and pistons anymore as the current seal design in the piston is very effective.

My other 1322 with 7.6" LW barrel will shoot a 21 gr projectile at 770fps, but is a pcp, lol

I oil both seldomly.

Thanks, i seems that your gun is far more advanced than mine, mine is still factory. Yours is very impressive!

I have the American Classic Black with buttstock in the 1322 recently.

My sights are off which makes me not like it--not enough windage adjustment to get the pellet to hit POA at 25d yards.

However, using the Peep Sight Feature and compensating for windage by estimation I found it to be extremely accurate for 8 pumps.

In the 1970's I had a Crossman Medalist .22 Pump Handgun which is basically the same design today; and THAT handgun with 10 strokes was powerful and accurate enough for me to believe it is one of the best handguns for air I've ever seen!

My sights are off which makes me not like it--not enough windage adjustment to get the pellet to hit POA at 25d yards.

However, using the Peep Sight Feature and compensating for windage by estimation I found it to be extremely accurate for 8 pumps.

In the 1970's I had a Crossman Medalist .22 Pump Handgun which is basically the same design today; and THAT handgun with 10 strokes was powerful and accurate enough for me to believe it is one of the best handguns for air I've ever seen!

8 pumps sounds good to me.

It's never good to over pump.

The limit is always in the manual and that's the way it's been my entire life to date on Terra Firma!

But now I want to look for a place that customizes American Classic 1322s and see if I can go BACK through talent and workmanship to that 1973 Crossman Medalist 1322!

I really haven't seen a pump handgun like that as accurate or powerful; and I am reporting from 1973 on that Crossman.

I wore it out. Every shot was on target at the range I sighted, 20 yards.

The other handgun I had at the time was the .22 SW 78G.

https://www.pyramydair.com/blog/2019/05/smith-wesson-78g-and-79g-target-pistols-part-1/

The Crossman .22 1974 Medalist and the SW 78 G .22 where the absolute best air handguns I have ever had to own. I have neither now but a Walmart Crossman 1322 .22 "American Classic".

It is not the same one I had in 1974 and no CO2 handgun today is perfectly sealed and accurate as the SW 78G also the same weight and balance as the SW 41 .22 Match Pistol.

I know, I rambled you fine folks and this pistol had so much history for me memories and experiences appeared instantly I had forgotten.

Thank you,

Reactions: Chief10Beers
If you have one, have you chronied it? And if you have, how do my numbers compare to yours? Also, do you add silicon oil to yours every so often?

Silicon oil is for the compression chamber of springer's. Crosman Pellgun oil is for pneumatics (like the 1322). Or, you can use non detergent 30 weight oil which is what pellgun oil is anyway.

This AGN thread might be of use to you.

1322 Out of windage adjustment

https://www.airgunnation.com/topic/1322-out-of-windage-adjustment/

I just watched a YouTube video yesterday where a guy did this exact test with that particular pistol he did 5, 10, 15, 20, & 25 pumps moral of the story is anything past 15 pumps is a waste. His chronograph data showed that with each additional five pumps he gained less and less so if you need to increase power 15 would give you the max return for your efforts.

I just watched a YouTube video yesterday where a guy did this exact test with that particular pistol he did 5, 10, 15, 20, & 25 pumps moral of the story is anything past 15 pumps is a waste. His chronograph data showed that with each additional five pumps he gained less and less so if you need to increase power 15 would give you the max return for your efforts.

The same is true if one mods their 1322 w/ a flat top piston and valve. 15 pumps tends to be the 'sweet spot' before the valve starts to retain air. This can be remedied though by installing a stronger hammer spring. Disco hammer springs are popular for this fix. But then, the trigger pull increases necessitating getting an adjustable sear spring from alchemy airwerks.

OTOH, 15 pumps w/ a flat top piston & valve will increase the velocity to a minimum of 515 fps / 8 fpe w/ 14.3 gr ... or more, up to 550 fps. 

This AGN thread might be of use to you.

1322 Out of windage adjustment

https://www.airgunnation.com/topic/1322-out-of-windage-adjustment/

Thanks for this.

I will figure that out but to find a real real Crossman 1322 from 1973 or 1974!

About overpumping pneumatics again it's not worth it. To me it is just like dry firing a spring air rifle--never ever do it at any time for any reason and if you do consider your rifle partially ruined for longevity and accuracy.

Thanks for this.

I will figure that out but to find a real real Crossman 1322 from 1973 or 1974!

About overpumping pneumatics again it's not worth it. To me it is just like dry firing a spring air rifle--never ever do it at any time for any reason and if you do consider your rifle partially ruined for longevity and accuracy.

Worse thing that will happen is that you can wear out the pump linkage prematurely ... which is easily replaced.

EW Crosman FORE ARM LEVER LINK ASSEMBLY for 1322 1377 PC77 BACKPACKER 760 1389 - $11.48
https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Crosman-FORE-ARM-LEVER-LINK-ASSEMBLY-for-1322-1377-PC77-BACKPACKER-760-1389/291014318864

You'll also want to get at least one of these.

http://www.alchemyairwerks.com/store/p1/Stainless_Steel_Roll_Pin_Replacement%C2%A0_for_Crosman_1322_1377_%2F_PC77_Backpacker_760.html

Or, one of these. (I use them in all of mine).

https://onlinestore.magnumairpower.com/products/custom-pivot-pin

With stock valve with 18 inch barrel

Screenshot 2023-02-22 202920.png