• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Got my new Impact (Not Great)!!!

Hey Doc,

This is great feedback and it is very much appreciated. I have I an addiction to varmint rifles (powder burners) and I’m looking to get a high quality all around small varmint gun (mainly prairie dogs, etc), shooting prone, standing, walking, from stick, bags...you get it. If you could have just one PCP for this purpose, what would it be and what caliber and barrel length would you have? Primarily, Pellets or slugs, or both? I am an Engineer and I love mechanics and precision.

Any thoughts you could share would be greatly appreciated. I’m certainly a buy once cry once kind of guy.

Thanks in advance!

Ryan

Hi Ryan,

Man that is a tough one....I would say .25 would serve you well and with slugs you want to get them going at least 900 fps based on my experience (I am not a huge slug guy but some of the smaller ones are nice from Nielson and varmint knockers as well as FX hybrids....

If your a bullpup guy a Veteran Long .25 with power adjuster would be a great choice or the new MK3 Wildcat 700mm. The advantage if the Wildcat is you will have the ability to swap barrels and calibers to go up to .30 or down to .22 depending on your prey and distances....

For a rifle man I LOVE my Crown!!! Can swap calibers etc. and it has a telescoping shroud so can shorten or lengthen the barrel and even can get an arrow barrel for it!!

If you don't want to go FX or spend that much the Hatsan BT65 is a good one ( a bit long and heavy but great power and adjustable trigger). 

The Sumatra .25 is a power house and can be adjusted for less power and more shots or full power and HUGE FPE....

Really can't go wrong but I would say stick with 50 fpe and up (gives you punch for longer shots and more forgivable shot placement).

Add a decent scope and your off!!

Shoot me your short list and can give you some more details if you like!!

Thanks,

Dr. Mike 

So I have both a FX Crown in .30 Caliber and FX Impact MKII in .30 Caliber 

The crown is way to long for woods work, the impact with 700mm is perfect. I use these daily for nuisance Wildlife work, weight is dependent on scope as well. I find the impact with a Saber Tactical extended rail is fine off hand and amazing when using Bi-pod.

The Crown is a bench gun in my mind it's freaking LONG.. . 

Well went to the cabin over the weekend and got some R&R and shot my buddies Impact and well I ordered another one...

Was a bit more picky in my selection...Went with 700mm .25 but got the 600mm .25 and 700mm .30 as well as one of them fancy adjustable butt plates....

Just can't get over how damn accurate they are....

More to come!!

lol I hope it works out for you this go around 👊 I love mine for sure as well . 

Scott in NC😁