Got my Hill EC 3000

All i can say I'm impressed. I have only filled the Leshiy twice, the second time I set the fill pressure for 285 and it shut off at 275, no biggie. 30 seconds to fill the leshiy.

Wish I could try it on my impact, but it's full of air and I have no where to shoot! If there are any airgunners in the Hilton Head SC area with a place to target shoot let me know, I can provide the free air!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Yci9ha28pw&feature=youtu.be

Reactions: likkitysplyt
I was impressed when the Hill EC 3000 was previewed at the Shot Show 2020 by Air Venturi. I would like to understand about how it's built internally to have faith that it will be durable in the long term to justify it's $1,000 price. It appears to have some characteristics similar to the crankcase and piston layout of the Yong Heng compressor. I don't state this as a criticism but a design similarity. Specifically, it appears to use a single piston rod pushing two stages of compression through the same cylinder head with a double piston. I would expect this compression system is more robust than Yong Heng compressors but want to know if they seal using steel rings, synthetic polymer resin, or without rings like an Alpha Carette's high pressure piston. It appears to be well built and durable as it's $1,000 price tag should suggest.

That 20 BAR discrepancy of the Edgun digital gauge and the digital gauge on the EC 3000 is concerning. One of those gauges is substantially inaccurate. I would be displeased if it's the compressor. I would test it using a gauge on a different pcp to find out which gauge is giving incorrect readings. Good luck with your new EC 3000. Please keep us updated on its performance over time. Most of the direct fill pcp compressors do not impress me with their durability. If the EC 3000 is reliable and durable, it could give someone direct fills and eliminate the expense of a $750+ tank set that many vendors are selling. IMO, none of the 12 volt portable direct fill compressors from China seem reliable or durable and break down quickly. Their high short term failure rate means they aren't worth the money when they aren't dependable. The last thing anyone needs is to be afraid that their compressor is about to fail every time it is used.

Watching the video it really seems like both gauges are accurate it might just be an issue with the pressure sensor sampling spot, it could be that it's sampling high temperature air under duty cycle, cuts off, and the blower fan continues which results is pressure drop relative to temperature. I would think this is something that could be fixed in firmware versus something requiring re-engineering?

A German air gunner had one of the and it was recalled. Got it repaired and the firmware updated to version 2.12.

Mike can you confirm which version yours has?

1589116553_6194072275eb7fe893e1f90.03796725.png

From Mike's video 2 minutes, 12 seconds.

The design looks very much like that of Yong Heng except that it's a three-stager instead of two. Different stages are linked up by external tubes in the Yong Heng way except that the tubes are significantly longer and placed right in front of the cooling fan. Perhaps that's part of the reasons why it does not require water cooling. I think the air flow is like this : 

1589125441_806649345eb82141e30850.01088166.JPG

The only thing I don't understand is where the silicone oil goes to. If it goes to the piston rings, they must be O rings or some kind of plastic rings as silicone oil is not good for metal-to-metal contacts.

Airgunfans, I'm assuming it has some kind of metal or durable synthetic resin piston rings. The video of it running tells me they cannot be any sort of o-rings because of the high rpms of the motor. Omega brand compressors do seal with rubber o-rings just like a hand pump. They are lubricated with white lithium grease and the rpms are much slower in order to keep the o-rings from frying from friction and heat. That's why a low rpm Omega makes a chugging sound instead of the buzzing of a faster spinning piston that uses steel or synthetic resin rings. The Hill EC 3000 compressor is intriguing. If it's durability and reliability compare with it's selling price it looks like a winner.

If it is indeed 3 stages then a single piston rod is driving 3 interconnected pistons. Interesting.

It looks to use quality hoses, https://www.intertraco.it/ seems to be the hose maker. Got to admit, if this is Hill's/AVs competitive answer to the LC-110 we're all gonna win on this one as it drives market sale price down. It looks like the condensate tower would function correctly for small bottle top-off or direct-fill. If Hill/AV, Daystate, and others compete in the marketspace for a quality unit that isn't going to self-detonate awesome because the current toss up seems to be take a low cost gamble, take a medium cost gamble, take a high cost gamble, or be lied to -- LOL.

I still scratch my head over output filtering versus input filtering and cylinder head scoring. I guess when or if a brass sintered input filter becomes clogged you just remove it and spray it out instead of changing it with a new paper air filter. I wonder how well a brass sintered filter works for avoiding stage 1 cylinder head scoring or ring wear? Almost reminds me of an internal combustion engine without a proper air filter for the sake of HP?

If you watch near the end of the video, the discrepancy is only 2-3 bar. I wouldn't call it inaccurate unless it was that much off while at a static pressure.

How is the head cooled? I assume liquid cooled, but I didn't see any coolant tubes to the head.

edit - I read more on it, it's air cooled. Huh - I wonder how they're managing heat. My water cooled YH gets warm fast. Even with 3 stages compressing air creates heat.

..... I wonder how they're managing heat. My water cooled YH gets warm fast. Even with 3 stages compressing air creates heat.

If you compare the tubing of your Yong Heng and that of the Hill compressor, you will notice that the tubes coming out from stage 1 and 2 of the Hill are made much longer than necessary. This allows the tubes to go pass the front of the cooling fan twice before entering the next stage so the heat carried by the compressed air can be removed effectively. I haven't tried it but it has been reported that the head temperature of the Yong Heng can be made a lot lower by blowing a fan towards it while it's running. 

airgunfans,

I've been tempted to get some stainless steel tubing and bend it to make a large coil between the 1st and 2nd stages and use a fan on that, same with the 2nd stage output. Either that or wrap copper tubing around the 1st to 2nd stage tubing and water cool it.

If Hill can remove most of the waste heat between stages by cooling the piping, especially with 3 stages, that's actually kinda clever.