• The AGN App is ready! To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Got my first deer, now I can get back to squirrelin'

Got my first ever deer today! It was with a crossbow, no airguns allowed for deer here in Illinoyed.
I was just about to pack it in because I was getting cold and the rain was starting to seep through my layers, but out of the corner of my eye I saw movement 150yds away, out in the field next to my house. It was 3 deer heading my direction. I silently pleaded with them to keep coming my direction.
There's a bit of woods between the field and where they would end up popping out into my field of view. I realized they might not even show up.
Realizing that I just needed to get my first deer under my belt I waited patiently.
This was not the first deer I was going to take a shot at, in fact it was the third. The first two were misses. With the first two I was a hot mess when I took the shot. Both times before I was amped up on adrenaline and I missed.
well, I guess the third time is the charm after all.
This time I was crazy calm. I wasn't even trying to stay calm I just somehow managed to remain steady. I sat and waited for a couple of minutes hoping the deer would actually pop out of the woods into my range.
And then there was a head, then a shoulder, and then there was all of her, a perfect distance away.
I was about to kill Bambi!
I knew she was probably the fawn I watched grow all summer and fall but I didn't care! I love deer meat and was about to get my own for the first time!
I took a breath, let it half way out and pulled the trigger. I didn't see the bolt fly but I saw her mule kick and run off. I knew I hit the mark this time because I saw the hole in her side.
I got up off the ground and stretched after 3hrs of sitting mostly motionless. Then Bambi's mom stepped out and we had a staring contest for a few minutes. Finally I moved and she gave me the classic white tail and bounced off into the woods.
I knew it was time to wait just in case the shot wasn't perfect so I walked back to my house and went inside and let my wife know happened. We had our morning cup of tea and then I went out to look for a blood trail.
First I found the arrow thanks to the lighted nock twinkling away on the ground.
I knew she ran straight across my driveway into the woods so I headed across the driveway expecting to need to search a bit for a blood trail. Boy was I wrong.
I got my first indication that my shot was perfect on the edge of the driveway. A huge blood trail that got wider as it went just 12' from the spot I shot her. I headed into the woods and realized that no amount of rain would keep me from following the trail!
About 40' into the woods I saw a pile of brown fur. I had my crossbow ready in case somehow she wasn't dead but when I saw the cloudy eye I knew.
We were having deer for dinner!
Finally I could sleep in a bit!
More importantly I can get back to squirrel and rabbit hunting with my airguns!

I got a double lung shot, more importantly I severed an artery above the heart.

2648D5CD-50AC-443B-8CBD-0810DE35CE85_1_105_c.jpeg

Man" thats great" ya did,nt even have to call Door Dash" for dinner" Ya might want to let i hang for a few days to let the mussels relax a bit. Beautiful place"
Door Dash? Hahaha, not around here! I drove 1/2hr to the butcher's and didn't even see a fast food restaurant.
She's hanging at the butcher's for a week before getting processed, well except for the tenderloins...yum.

Got my first ever deer today! It was with a crossbow, no airguns allowed for deer here in Illinoyed.
I was just about to pack it in because I was getting cold and the rain was starting to seep through my layers, but out of the corner of my eye I saw movement 150yds away, out in the field next to my house. It was 3 deer heading my direction. I silently pleaded with them to keep coming my direction.
There's a bit of woods between the field and where they would end up popping out into my field of view. I realized they might not even show up.
Realizing that I just needed to get my first deer under my belt I waited patiently.
This was not the first deer I was going to take a shot at, in fact it was the third. The first two were misses. With the first two I was a hot mess when I took the shot. Both times before I was amped up on adrenaline and I missed.
well, I guess the third time is the charm after all.
This time I was crazy calm. I wasn't even trying to stay calm I just somehow managed to remain steady. I sat and waited for a couple of minutes hoping the deer would actually pop out of the woods into my range.
And then there was a head, then a shoulder, and then there was all of her, a perfect distance away.
I was about to kill Bambi!
I knew she was probably the fawn I watched grow all summer and fall but I didn't care! I love deer meat and was about to get my own for the first time!
I took a breath, let it half way out and pulled the trigger. I didn't see the bolt fly but I saw her mule kick and run off. I knew I hit the mark this time because I saw the hole in her side.
I got up off the ground and stretched after 3hrs of sitting mostly motionless. Then Bambi's mom stepped out and we had a staring contest for a few minutes. Finally I moved and she gave me the classic white tail and bounced off into the woods.
I knew it was time to wait just in case the shot wasn't perfect so I walked back to my house and went inside and let my wife know happened. We had our morning cup of tea and then I went out to look for a blood trail.
First I found the arrow thanks to the lighted nock twinkling away on the ground.
I knew she ran straight across my driveway into the woods so I headed across the driveway expecting to need to search a bit for a blood trail. Boy was I wrong.
I got my first indication that my shot was perfect on the edge of the driveway. A huge blood trail that got wider as it went just 12' from the spot I shot her. I headed into the woods and realized that no amount of rain would keep me from following the trail!
About 40' into the woods I saw a pile of brown fur. I had my crossbow ready in case somehow she wasn't dead but when I saw the cloudy eye I knew.
We were having deer for dinner!
Finally I could sleep in a bit!
More importantly I can get back to squirrel and rabbit hunting with my airguns!

I got a double lung shot, more importantly I severed an artery above the heart.

View attachment 419524
I’m very happy for you, great story and thank you for sharing your experience.

Reactions: AmosBurton
Had the tenderloins last night with some clarified butter and bread. Soooo goooood, OMG!
Good fuel for the tank and this mornings sit in my tree stand waiting for the little wood ninjas to show up.

However, it's like the squirrels knew I was now out there for them this time. What was squirrelapalooza while deer hunting was like a deserted town this morning.
It didn't stop this big boy from coming out for a morning constitutional.
Unfortunately for him the Sniper XR ended his day early. I caught him right under the ear and the pellet exited just above his opposite shoulder. He rolled off the log he was on DRT.
I took a shot at 2 others but apparently missed and just scared the bejeezus out of them. I think one of them is in MO by now it ran so fast and far away!
My early success had me feeling cocky and I was rushing my shots thinking I could hit anything.
Yeah, I'm not even close to being that good, lol.

I can only get 2 more unless the wife starts cooking some up for dinner. Luckily she loves me enough to cook a few before I get the limit and keep me in the game until the season is over. Dishes on the menu soon are sure to include squirrel chili and squirrel pot pie. She'll use at least 2 and maybe 3 or 4 per dish depending on how much she wants to make at the time. I usually push for extra to freeze for easy dinners later but mostly so I can go out and get more!

Happy New Years everyone!

707FC263-3366-4B54-9CA6-65C70DDCBD3C_1_105_c.jpeg

EA1D715E-C988-41C6-8CFB-F0FD45B0127D_1_105_c.jpeg