Got my Crown Power kit- very disappointed

BDX, that's a good call. He could transcribe the conversation for all of us that just bought the power tune kit and post it here! LOL I'm really not that worried about it that much though. As most of us know from posts over the past few days, after ordering the 2018 power tune kit, I found out there's going to be a 2019 power tune kit and all of these parts are going to be available individually. Since the 2018 kits aren't going to ship for a few weeks, I'm probably going to order the additional 2019 parts at the beginning of the year and install them all at the same time. If Ernest says the kits will produce 985+ FPS in .25 cal. with a 600mm barrel and a 33.95 JSB, I believe him. As evident from his posts here, he's more than willing to help anyone who buys the kit achieve max. power with their gun! I'm sure there are some super knowledgeable tuners that frequent this board but as far as I'm concerned, when it comes to the FX, Ernest is the go to guy! I'm so excited to get my power tune kit and slug barrel that I can't hardly stand it! 

Stoti

So looks like I need to go back to the UK tuner and get them to adjust, plus replace the now recessed part?

On new mob I no longer recessed the HSTA, now 1/4” spring guide with added weight with spring guide.

your from UK trying to power mod a 12fpe Crown??

No LOL! I have a license as I run a shooting club here, the AIRFECTIVE guys Liam and Elliot did the mod for me, my .30 Crown is doing about 74FPE with the 44g JSB.

BDX, that's a good call. He could transcribe the conversation for all of us that just bought the power tune kit and post it here! LOL I'm really not that worried about it that much though. As most of us know from posts over the past few days, after ordering the 2018 power tune kit, I found out there's going to be a 2019 power tune kit and all of these parts are going to be available individually. Since the 2018 kits aren't going to ship for a few weeks, I'm probably going to order the additional 2019 parts at the beginning of the year and install them all at the same time. If Ernest says the kits will produce 985+ FPS in .25 cal. with a 600mm barrel and a 33.95 JSB, I believe him. As evident from his posts here, he's more than willing to help anyone who buys the kit achieve max. power with their gun! I'm sure there are some super knowledgeable tuners that frequent this board but as far as I'm concerned, when it comes to the FX, Ernest is the go to guy! I'm so excited to get my power tune kit and slug barrel that I can't hardly stand it! 

Stoti

Most Excellent Stoti, in more ways than one. I need to let a couple of thoughts percolate. However I can say with absolute certainty that folks, (me included if I’m honest with myself), will readily jump on new ideas and spend money on modifications in search of that absolute ripper of a tune.

The operative word there is “search”, because it takes some time, dedication, and a thorough understanding of the theorey of a modification to achieve the intended results. Sure one can hand off the rifle and have it tuned to a given performance but I say “Where’s the fun in that? As one of the members posted on your Crown Velocity thread, and I paraphrase here, The Joy is in the Journey to the Destination

I would put this on the the table, and it is not intended to be criticism, simply an observation Many folks will catch fire on a tuning mod, spend the money, drop in the kit, and then expect “magic” (for lack of a better word). I readily confess ownership of such fantasies. 

It’s obvious when I reflect on Ernest’s replies in this thread that I have some homework to do. A lot in fact. Building a background that not only educates me to a better, more complete understanding of the physics and theory behind power tuning, but also the physical adjustments necessary to put those principles in play. Creating my own personal Masterclass: The Whys and How To’s of Power Tuning if you will. We are all indeed very fortunate to have access to Ernest’s, and other’s, graciously shared insights as we make the Journey.

The Crown has so many tuning options and features. I’m constantly seeing/learning there is more than one way to skin a cat, but It’s an iterative process that takes... no,...demands time. However I’m also beginning to understand the Crown’s limitations. I suspect that as I learn more I’m going to find that in power tuning one must be willing to accept certain performance compromises and that subsequent to physical alteration some broader scope of adjustability may be sacrificed. I don’t find that to be a bad thing, just a firmer reality in place of the fantasy. 

PK Adjustment Procedure:

1. Back off power adjustment screw D5 about 2-3 threads protruding, best to adjust when D4 is remove.

2. Reinstall HSTA and power wheel without stock on

3. Read speed on min on power wheel, adjuster power one setting at a time till speed level out if speed max out before max on the power wheel adjust D5 CW till max speed is on max on the wheel from there you can twick the speed more if not increase reg 10b and adjust D5.

Thank you Ernest, I’ll need to contemplate it all but then considering how many recent PK orders you got in the last week I have plenty of time to fully comprehend the whys and how’s Before mines even built. Have a great Christmas!

I totally agree 100%. I've got mine up to an average of 875fps with the 33.95's, accuracy is impressive but It's been raining here ever since I adjusted things, so I haven't been able to really shoot some good shot strings and dial it in to perfection. I've been busy building my shooting bench too. I've got high hopes for the power tune kit(s) and am willing to spend $100 to possibly get an extra 40-100FPS. If it happens, great, if not, no big deal. I'm just hoping to get the velocity up to the velocities Ernest talked about with the 600mm barrel so when my slug liner gets here I can try slinging some heavier lead and take advantage of the .090-.094 BC. It's all for fun, I love messing with this stuff more than my long range powder burner and load combinations. I've really been enjoying the back and forth on all of these AGN threads. I'm not only learning, it's also making me consider things I haven't and giving me many new ideas. Have a Merry Christmas! Stoti

I had to chime in here..

I have had the mods done..

Its damned simple..

Once intstalled..Power knob was set at max by putting knob in place by hand and adjusting setscrew until you have a couple of thousands clearence on the high side of the cam of the Power knob.. Done..

With the Regulator also modified, you now adjust that pressure and ignore that gauge for up and down pressure changes.. Adjust for speed..

Using the Power knob to fine tune..

Now I shoot my .25 Crown using those 34gr. Mk2s. and they are deadly acurate at 950fps. Setup all at max and adjusted by regulator while ignoring the regulator gauge..

Shooting the JSB 25.4gr. Pellets? I set things this way... Set my cal knob to .177/.22... Power knob set to one or two.. Now adjust Regulator to speed..Fine tune using power knob. These Pellets get unstable when pushed to hard or to fast.. I like them at

840fps..

Please feel free to add more if anyone has more...

I had to chime in here..

Its damned simple..

Once intstalled..Power knob was set at max by putting knob in place by hand and adjusting setscrew until you have a couple of thousands clearence on the high side of the cam of the Power knob.. Done..

With the Regulator also modified, you now adjust that pressure and ignore that gauge for up and down pressure changes.. Adjust for speed..

Now I shoot my .25 Crown using those 34gr. Mk2s. and they are deadly acurate at 950fps. Setup all at max and adjusted by regulator while ignoring the regulator gauge..

Shooting the JSB 25.4gr. Pellets? I set things this way... Set my cal knob to .177/.22... Power knob set to one or two.. Now adjust Regulator to speed..Fine tune using power knob. These Pellets get unstable when pushed to hard or to fast.. I like them at

840fps..

You mean the other way around for pellets/velocity? I was shooting them those same speeds, but higher for the 25gr and lower for the 34gr.

I had to chime in here..

Its damned simple..

840fps..

You mean the other way around for pellets/velocity? I was shooting them those same speeds, but higher for the 25gr and lower for the 34gr.

No, they're re-tuning for the 25.4's because for them they are unstable when shot too fast so 840~ is preferred for that particular pellet.

I did a little experimenting on my Crown today with a 93gr hammer weight that I machined out of steel. With my regulator set at 148-150bar (as it was) according to the gauge (for what it is) the highest velocity I could achieve was on my #4 setting was 886fps, any lower setting the velocity was lower and any higher it was lower so I was on the plateau with this regulator setting. Let me also say that once I installed the hammer I readjusted the HS adjuster so that I had a little play in it, just like it was without a hammer weight installed and I'm talking just a "smidge".

The next step was to bump up the regulator to 160bar, my #5 setting was now my highest velocity at 923fps. I followed this setting up with a 180bar regulator setting and my maximum velocity came in on the #5 setting at 957fps. Heck, why not try 190bar.... my max velocity came in on my "Max" setting at 976fps!.

I concluded the test here and took the regulator back to the 145-150 range and left it on my #2 setting shooting the heavies at 885-886 with a very flat string. The highest velocity showing up now was on setting #4 at 894fps. This again was with the HW still installed. Overall it's good to know that if I want to, with my current hardware installed that I can go to a higher velocity (maybe for shooting slugs etc.) but the air usage as is would probably be something to consider.

I'm hoping that possibly a larger ported valve seat will give me a good bump in velocity without having to go to the higher regulator pressures (on my particular gun, your mileage may vary).

Just thought I'd share what I found.

Jking

I did a little experimenting on my Crown today with a 93gr hammer weight that I machined out of steel. With my regulator set at 148-150bar (as it was) according to the gauge (for what it is) the highest velocity I could achieve was on my #4 setting was 886fps, any lower setting the velocity was lower and any higher it was lower so I was on the plateau with this regulator setting. Let me also say that once I installed the hammer I readjusted the HS adjuster so that I had a little play in it, just like it was without a hammer weight installed and I'm talking just a "smidge".

The next step was to bump up the regulator to 160bar, my #5 setting was now my highest velocity at 923fps. I followed this setting up with a 180bar regulator setting and my maximum velocity came in on the #5 setting at 957fps. Heck, why not try 190bar.... my max velocity came in on my "Max" setting at 976fps!.

I concluded the test here and took the regulator back to the 145-150 range and left it on my #2 setting shooting the heavies at 885-886 with a very flat string. The highest velocity showing up now was on setting #4 at 894fps. This again was with the HW still installed. Overall it's good to know that if I want to, with my current hardware installed that I can go to a higher velocity (maybe for shooting slugs etc.) but the air usage as is would probably be something to consider.

I'm hoping that possibly a larger ported valve seat will give me a good bump in velocity without having to go to the higher regulator pressures (on my particular gun, your mileage may vary).

Just thought I'd share what I found.

Jking

Unreal, thats a crazy high reg pressure but still amazing looking forward to you getting the modified VS. I bet if you put in a EunJin at that 190 you'd break 80fpe, 72fpe isn't easy to do with even the Heavies.

jking. Here are my calculations for the following real world tests you ran at several pressures.

.25 cal 33.95 gr 500mm barrel / stock ports for FX

59.3 FPE / 886 FPS @ 150 bar (150 bar on the mark)

65.1 / 929 FPS @ 165 bar (A Tad over 160..)

71.6 FPE / 974 FPS @ 200 bar (your reg reading was definitely off here and likely NOT 190 bar...jmo though)

Same shot taken with a Eunjin @ 43 gr

80 FPE / 915 FPS @ 200 bar

jking. Here are my calculations for the following real world tests you ran at several pressures.

.25 cal 33.95 gr 500mm barrel / stock ports for FX

59.3 FPE / 886 FPS @ 150 bar (150 bar on the mark)

65.1 / 929 FPS @ 165 bar (A Tad over 160..)

71.6 FPE / 974 FPS @ 200 bar (your reg reading was definitely off here and likely NOT 190 bar...jmo though)

Same shot taken with a Eunjin @ 43 gr

80 FPE / 915 FPS @ 200 bar

The .25s are 600mm