Got another Springer ! R7

Picked up a brand new Beeman R7 on Ebay for a total of $302. I think I will "sort of" give it
to my wife as she couldn't cock the RWS 34 that I use to own. What pellets shoot well in
these ? From what I've read the lighter JSB's are the pellet of choice. I have some 7.33 and
7.87 gr to try out. Also have some AA's 7.87gr as well. Probably will scope it but I don't want
a large bulky scope for such a tiny rifle. I'm thinking a 1" tube 4X (maybe 6X) strait power
scope under one foot long. Any suggestions? What about rings ? I'll post some pics and
out of the box chronograph results when I get it.

Congrats on your new purchase! :D
Mine is not pellet picky - you'll get acceptable accuracy with just about any pellet (including CPHPs); mine shoot JSB 7.33 and 8.44's extremely accurately. For the backyard (~25ish yard) plinking that I do, I normally take off the 3-9 that I normally have on there for open sight practice.
You'll have loads of fun regardless of scope option.

Have fun and stay safe!

Hi, Wayne, I hope she enjoys it as much as my wife has hers for the last 35 years.
I recommend a Hawke 2-7 x32. Not the Airmax you don’t need the added weight. Light is right. I used Burris blued steel rings on my scoped R7 because they’re pretty. I don’t want big blocky rings on my sweet little R7. Aren’t they?
Susie’s R7 has a Beeman sport aperture sight. She likes that for killing cans offhand. Set it and forget it. Very satisfying for her.
28183270-6D80-4688-A7B4-90E58B72AC0F.jpeg

Hi, Wayne, I hope she enjoys it as much as my wife has hers for the last 35 years.
I recommend a Hawke 2-7 x32. Not the Airmax you don’t need the added weight. Light is right. I used Burris blued steel rings on my scoped R7 because they’re pretty. I don’t want big blocky rings on my sweet little R7. Aren’t they?
Susie’s R7 has a Beeman sport aperture sight. She likes that for killing cans offhand. Set it and forget it. Very satisfying for her.
View attachment 295494
This is all excellent advice. If you can't find the Burris rings go for the T02C. Here's my wife with he Hw30 with a Vantage 2-7 on the T02C rings.

The only other thing I'll add is that the JSB /AA 7.33 pellets always work great in the Hw30s. I have three of them and tuned a bunch of others. Other pellets work great in some of them but I haven't found a Hw30 (R7) that doesn't like them.

20210425_125525.jpg

Reactions: Sqwirl57
This is all excellent advice. If you can't find the Burris rings go for the T02C. Here's my wife with he Hw30 with a Vantage 2-7 on the T02C rings.

The only other thing I'll add is that the JSB /AA 7.33 pellets always work great in the Hw30s. I have three of them and tuned a bunch of others. Other pellets work great in some of them but I haven't found a Hw30 (R7) that doesn't like them.

View attachment 295518
Thanks for the input !

View attachment 295494
Thanks Karl ! Does hers have problems with barrel droop ?

Last edited:
I have some of the AA's. I get better velocity and good accuracy with the AA's
in my FWB 124D than I do with the JSB 7.33 gr. Be interesting to see if that holds
true with the R7.
That's typical the AA are usually more consistently sized within the tin and typically fit better. I've had plenty tins of the JSBs that shot as well as the AAs but it's the minority of them.

I buy the JSBs because they are within 95 % of the AA performance, cheaper and easier to find. I go through these like water. I buy them frequently at ten tins at a time. The cost to value becomes an issue.

The JSBs 7.33s usually perform great in all my Hw30s. Once in a while I'll get a sleeve of an undersized lot and regret not getting the AAs. As this is rare and they never shoot bad I always seem to keep ordering them.

Congrats on your new purchase! :D
Mine is not pellet picky - you'll get acceptable accuracy with just about any pellet (including CPHPs); mine shoot JSB 7.33 and 8.44's extremely accurately. For the backyard (~25ish yard) plinking that I do, I normally take off the 3-9 that I normally have on there for open sight practice.
You'll have loads of fun regardless of scope option.

Have fun and stay safe!
Thanks! I know the gun has a rated velocity of 700 fps (light lead pellets) but I'm curious
what people are actually getting ?

That's typical the AA are usually more consistently sized within the tin and typically fit better. I've had plenty tins of the JSBs that shot as well as the AAs but it's the minority of them.

I buy the JSBs because they are within 95 % of the AA performance, cheaper and easier to find. I go through these like water. I buy them frequently at ten tins at a time. The cost to value becomes an issue.

The JSBs 7.33s usually perform great in all my Hw30s. Once in a while I'll get a sleeve of an undersized lot and regret not getting the AAs. As this is rare and they never shoot bad I always seem to keep ordering them.
Sounds like you do alot of shooting ! I also have some AA 8.44 gr I will try.