Got a FFP Meopta Optika 6 5-30×56 in MIL coming in next week.

I've been curious about this scope since it came out three years ago. These are on sale at Scopelist for $699 so a great time to try one.
From what I've read the top attribute is supposed to be the IQ/ Image quality??

In the last few years I've ordered two non Athlon scopes which turned out to be very disappointing experiences.
One $900 scope doesn't always come back to zero which has cost myself or my daughter a few potential match high scores in FT. The other has blah build quality for a $1999 retail scope. Neither have what I consider IQ appropriate to the price.

Recently I was using my FFP SWFA 3-15 and decided there are times I'd like a simpler reticle instead of the tree reticles in most of my scopes.
Though a nice small scope I'm not enthusiastic with the IQ in my SWFA so I think I'm getting to the point I'll go ahead and sell it.

I ordered the Mildot 3 in the Meopta which is a half Mil reticle that doesn't have line numbers in it which I prefer over simpler reticles that have the line marking numbers present.

I'll give my thoughts in a few weeks.

Hey this scope does have good glass!

I mounted the Meopta on my Uragan King in 25 caliber and spent a couple hours plinking with slugs out to 250Y on Wednesday but looked through the scope for about 45 minutes on Tuesday right after putting it on my King and then comparing it to my Cronus and March Genesis HM 4-40.
I'd put the IQ/Image Quality slightly above my Athlon Cronus G2 4.5-29's but not as nice as my Athlon Ares ETR 10-60 in the SFP. The March was the winner.

I have little to comment on except the few aspects I like and don't like so far.

The odd things;
#1 There is no 2nd rev indicator and/or NO revolution indicator lines on the turret stem. IMHO this is a major fail on a modern FFP long range scope.
#2 The windage turret has a coin slot to remove the turret which is different than the elevation turret.
#3 Both turrets have a lighter tension when the knob is turned which I don't prefer but the elevation turret locks and there is a zero stop system. I'd be a little worried about the windage turret being bumped or turning in a drag bag.
#4 The elevation turret click lines are slightly off of the line on the housing.
Other than those it's a pretty nice scope.

The good;
#1 All the rest of the controls are fine.
#2 I like the little lever that helps turn the magnification ring, it's a sort of a switchview, and has 4 holes in different locations on the magnification ring that the lever screws into.
#3 The IQ is the standout and I'm glad it is so.
#4 Usually I opt for a Tree reticle but I decided this time I'd try the Mildot 3. It's thicker than most FFP reticles which I prefer and also doesn't have Mil line numbers in it which I also prefer in a reticle like this.
#5 I like the system of a wide nut on top of the elevation turret, "which doesn't require a tool" to remove the turret to zero it! Nice.

Comparing this scope to my Vector Continental 5-30 the Meopta is a little better built with superior IQ by a lot.
Definitely superior in IQ to my Vortex Razor LHT 4.5-22 also.

I'll come back here if there is anything I want to report on later and also edit as necessary.

Also check out my fancy new bipod.
20231020_093751.jpg
20231020_093927.jpg
20231020_094046.jpg
20231020_094136.jpg

Thanks guys.

This scope was a good deal price wise so I'm pretty happy with it generally. In spite of my opinion of its downsides I like it better than the other non Athlon scopes I've been around including some March optics. This Meopta doesn't have the optical compromises annoying me like they did but also don't have the build quality those Marches have.

I think if the Athlon ETR 4.5-30x56 had the IQ this Meopta has we'd really have something! It'd seriously be a "why spend more money" on a scope situation.
Actually the Helos G2 has perfectly fine turrets which I like better than this Meopta with the exception of the way Meopta designed the tool less elevation turret removal cap.

I'm hoping the G3 Cronus scopes coming in 2024 will have glass this nice!

Some friends looked through the Meopta yesterday afternoon and felt the same as I do.

Reactions: Centercut
Hey this scope does have good glass!

I mounted the Meopta on my Uragan King in 25 caliber and spent a couple hours plinking with slugs out to 250Y on Wednesday but looked through the scope for about 45 minutes on Tuesday right after putting it on my King and then comparing it to my Cronus and March Genesis HM 4-40.
I'd put the IQ/Image Quality slightly above my Athlon Cronus G2 4.5-29's but not as nice as my Athlon Ares ETR 10-60 in the SFP. The March was the winner.

I have little to comment on except the few aspects I like and don't like so far.

The odd things;
#1 There is no 2nd rev indicator and/or NO revolution indicator lines on the turret stem. IMHO this is a major fail on a modern FFP long range scope.
#2 The windage turret has a coin slot to remove the turret which is different than the elevation turret.
#3 Both turrets have a lighter tension when the knob is turned which I don't prefer but the elevation turret locks and there is a zero stop system. I'd be a little worried about the windage turret being bumped or turning in a drag bag.
#4 The elevation turret click lines are slightly off of the line on the housing.
Other than those it's a pretty nice scope.

The good;
#1 All the rest of the controls are fine.
#2 I like the little lever that helps turn the magnification ring, it's a sort of a switchview, and has 4 holes in different locations on the magnification ring that the lever screws into.
#3 The IQ is the standout and I'm glad it is so.
#4 Usually I opt for a Tree reticle but I decided this time I'd try the Mildot 3. It's thicker than most FFP reticles which I prefer and also doesn't have Mil line numbers in it which I also prefer in a reticle like this.
#5 I like the system of a wide nut on top of the elevation turret, "which doesn't require a tool" to remove the turret to zero it! Nice.

Comparing this scope to my Vector Continental 5-30 the Meopta is a little better built with superior IQ by a lot.
Definitely superior in IQ to my Vortex Razor LHT 4.5-22 also.

I'll come back here if there is anything I want to report on later and also edit as necessary.

Also check out my fancy new bipod.
View attachment 398499View attachment 398500View attachment 398501View attachment 398502
Thanks for taking the time for the detailed review as usual. This is good info, and considering we agree on things a lot, I always enjoy your perspective.

I was shocked you said the IQ was better than the Cronus and also slightly behind the ETR 10-60. I didn’t expect the 10-60 to have the best image quality!

The Cronus has been one of my favorites scopes since its inception and Athlon, in general, has become my main go to. I want to try that SFP version, but can’t bring myself to it just yet.

The Meopta has tempted me. Even the Vectors have tempted me as a low priced option.

Reactions: steve123
Thanks for taking the time for the detailed review as usual. This is good info, and considering we agree on things a lot, I always enjoy your perspective.

I was shocked you said the IQ was better than the Cronus and also slightly behind the ETR 10-60. I didn’t expect the 10-60 to have the best image quality!

The Cronus has been one of my favorites scopes since its inception and Athlon, in general, has become my main go to. I want to try that SFP version, but can’t bring myself to it just yet.

The Meopta has tempted me. Even the Vectors have tempted me as a low priced option.

You're welcome Smok3y.

This SFP ETR 10-60 has really good glass to me and I like it a lot. The FFP ETR's and the Cronus G2 I can't hardly tell a difference in glass against each other but I can definitely tell a difference in IQ compared to the SFP ETR and this Meopta compared to them. It is what it is regardless of price.
But IMO build quality wise all the ETR's, and especially the Cronus G2, win out against this Meopta.
If the IQ wasn't so good I'd probably sell the Meopta.

I doubt I'll buy a Vector again though I love the Mil reticle in mine. I like the Helos G2's much better than my Vector.

I have the new Heras 15-60 sfp and it's nice and ranges well. My only dislike is the thin reticle but I knew this when I got it. I am wanting to use it for Open class next year but I might sell it to find the Eres with the illuminated dot for FT. Or get the falcon which I know isn't illuminated. Have you compared to the falcon or sightron FT.

Thanks
Jon

I have the new Heras 15-60 sfp and it's nice and ranges well. My only dislike is the thin reticle but I knew this when I got it. I am wanting to use it for Open class next year but I might sell it to find the Eres with the illuminated dot for FT. Or get the falcon which I know isn't illuminated. Have you compared to the falcon or sightron FT.

Thanks
Jon

The Falcon no but there is little difference between the ETR 10-16 and Sightron 10-50 in IQ. I like the reticle a lot more on the ETR in spite of it being thin. And to be honest I don't know if the Sightron was the FT version or not.

I wanted Cole who has a Falcon to look through the ETR but he was at the tail end of the flue and didn't want to contaminate my stuff. Maybe later this year or next we can compare.

Reactions: drsquall
The Falcon no but there is little difference between the ETR 10-16 and Sightron 10-50 in IQ. I like the reticle a lot more on the ETR in spite of it being thin. And to be honest I don't know if the Sightron was the FT version or not.

I wanted Cole who has a Falcon to look through the ETR but he was at the tail end of the flue and didn't want to contaminate my stuff. Maybe later this year or next we can compare.
Ok great. Thanks

Thought I would pick up on this thread instead of starting a new one as it already has good info in it.

As several people said, these scopes have caught my eye a few times, and after seeing Steve’s comments and getting a recommendation from another friend, I went back and read the reviews… again, to remember why they caught my eye in the first place a while back. I like nice scopes, but I also like trying low and mid range scopes to possibly save money and get a good scope. There are a lot of very good reviews on them, so with the current sales, I thought I should try one befor buying my next $1500 scope. At less than half price of my current considerations, $700 looks tempting enough.

Every review I found said the same thing about the optical quality… well above its price range. That is good, because his price range usually leaves some to be desired. Not bad scopes, but scopes like the Athlon Ares, Vortex PSTII, etc. Scopes that are good for the price.

I always prefer FFP, but have had several high mag SFP scopes in a row, so it was good to get back to FFP. I really want a 30x as well, so again… fits the bill.

I received it this week and was able to quickly sight it in and shoot for about an hour. So far, I am digging it!

Out of the box…
  • Cheap cardboard box, but I am ok with that, because I hate paying more for packaging. Saves everyone money!
  • No sun shade or scope caps (bikini included) , but many scopes in this range don’t. Not a deal breaker, but these are the things I wish would be included. Can’t find the Sun shade in stock anywhere at all, but turns out that the Athlon ETR shade supposedly fits.
  • I like the knurling on the knobs. Not harsh but big allowing for a good grip. The mag ring has a built in hump that I like as well, so I may not use the included screw in assist knob for it.
  • I love a big beefy scope and this fits that bill! I kinda like the blue ring around it as well.
Using the scope…
  • Turrets - People always ask about turrets.
    • They have an oddity as many have said. Why locking on elevation instead of windage? I bet that gets swapped in the next generation! I keep trying to turn the elevation without unlocking it and I keep trying to unlock the windage!
    • No idea while they went “mostly toolless” on the elevation, but then have the coin screw slot on the windage. Again… another change sure to come.
    • I personally like the clicks. They aren’t so firm that it is hard to move, and they aren’t mushy so you can’t tell when they click. I think it is a good firmness that is right in the middle. They tracked exactly as I expected up/down left/right and were spot on.
  • Reticle - I went with the tree MIL reticle that Ilya designed. I am very happy with this reticle.
    • I prefer Mil, because 10s just make more sense and are easier to keep track of when counting clicks.
    • The reticle is thick, and I love it!!! I always prefer a thicker reticle, as it makes it so easy to see.
    • Not overly busy and I like the 0.2 markings. I usually prefer a plainer reticle (no tree), but didn’t really want the mil dots.
    • Limited illumination. This is ok for me. Just the center dot and surrounding cross.
  • Optical quality is nice. I was shooting from 4-5pm in the woods, so low light performance is important to me. This scope was doing great even at 5 when the sun was almost down. I’ll know more with more testing on this, so more to come.
Seems like there was more I wanted to say, but this has turned into a long post, so I hope it helped if you made it that far!

Last edited: