Gopher hunting in Montana highlights

Hi,

I decided to make a little highlight video of my 2023 gopher hunting in Montana. This is from all of my hunting trips gathered material and hopefully there is some entertainment value on this! Enjoy!

wonderful video and great wind reading on holdovers , hand picked shots but still nice quick judgment calls .

Reactions: Montana_Airgun
Hi,

I decided to make a little highlight video of my 2023 gopher hunting in Montana. This is from all of my hunting trips gathered material and hopefully there is some entertainment value on this! Enjoy!

Uhhhhhh, aren't those ground squirrels or prairie dogs, can't quite tell. But nice shooting.

Uhhhhhh, aren't those ground squirrels or prairie dogs, can't quite tell. But nice shooting.
People in MT are a little different. They call ground squirrels gophers. When I first moved to MT people would ask if I wanted to go shoot gophers. I thought they were crazy until I found out it was ground squirrels not gophers. I was picturing people standing in a field all day waiting for a pocket gopher to back fill a hole and give them a quick chance at a shot.

People in MT are a little different. They call ground squirrels gophers. When I first moved to MT people would ask if I wanted to go shoot gophers. I thought they were crazy until I found out it was ground squirrels not gophers. I was picturing people standing in a field all day waiting for a pocket gopher to back fill a hole and give them a quick chance at a shot.
Now it makes sense, people in Montana don't have a clue what a gopher is, must be that miles and miles and miles of,.........that makes them different. :cool:

• Haha
Reactions: Montana_Airgun
wonderful video and great wind reading on holdovers , hand picked shots but still nice quick judgment calls .
Yeah I had to go on hand picked shots due to lack of continuous footage unfortunately. Those winds are wicked here man and when your shooting pellets it is very intresting to go hunting.

Reactions: beerthief
Great video. Consider yourself fortunate to have beautiful open country like that to hunt.

Also, what product are you using to get your shooting video?
I am using eaglevision goPro mount with goPro 7 and a special lens on the goPro. It was a pain in the ass to setup and get aligned, but footage is pretty good on it with the minimum amount of budget. Its not like I am rocking NBC news money here, so I have to be very frugal.

I think those are Belding's ground squirrels. Lord willing in July I'll be shooting bunches of them. Man you should see what a 32gr vmax going 3760 fps does to them.
I can offer graphic evidence what a 17gr .177 at 2650fps Hornaday does to them. A lesson in squirrel anatomy.

When I first moved up to kalispell area and heard them talking about gophers, I thought the same thing😂 the species is a Richardsons ground squirrel, to anyone wondering they are not a prarie dog or any version of a "squeak" or "whistlepig" like the ones just west in Idaho. Ton of fun walking the woods popping them, just gotta remember your in grizz country at the same time😁
20220522_130916_copy_1209x1612.jpg
great video OP! You got a new subscriber.