Google Blocking AGN

I tried to download a simple jpg from an AGN post just now. (It's a picture of a Benjamin Marauder posted in a classified ad a couple of years ago.) Chrome would not let me download it. When I click "Learn More" next to the message saying it is "unsafe," I get this (I enlarged the last point myself). More woke-ism from the tech world? 

Why the download was blocked

Your file download may be blocked for one of a few reasons:

• We think it might be a malicious, unwanted, uncommon, or insecure file.
    • Malicious: You tried to download malware.
    • Unwanted: You tried to download a deceptive piece of software. This program, disguised as a helpful download, may actually make unexpected changes to your computer or device.
    • Uncommon: You tried to download an unfamiliar and potentially dangerous piece of software.
    • Insecure: You tried to download a file or program that wasn't secure but was started on a secure page. In some cases, you can choose to download anyway.
  • We've found that the website you tried to download the file from has been known to distribute malware.

Post the link to the picture/jpg that you tried to download. The exact link that blocked you. That way, it can be tested to see if others can download the pic without the *warning* or if they get the same warning. It may be some setting in your browser or something else you are unaware of. At least it could be tested by others.

Not saying that is the case, but this would start the process of elimination of causes.

Here's the link. First pic.

https://www.airgunnation.com/topic/wts-benjamin-marauder-22-cal-gen-1/

Here's the picture I was trying to download. FWIW, I went in and changed my Chrome browser settings to the lowest "security" level, and it still gave me the same message, "jpg can't be downloaded securely". No option to bypass. I tried it in Firefox and had no problem. Here's the picture. So far, it hasn't killed me.

1565118488_7487803995d49d018b15ec4.27149937_untitled-100.1651056887.jpg

It is probably not google, but some AV like bit defender on your PC. "Google" doesn't "block downloads", that is not how that works.

Not so sure that's correct. The language quoted in my first post is from a google page, which was linked on the little box refusing the download. It appears to explain why google blocks downloads.

I don't have Bit Defender (or any similar AV).

I ran into the same issue at that particular page. Not sure why Chrome doesn't like that particular jpg, or any of the jpgs in that message, Chrome doesn't have a problem with the jpg in this thread, and doesn't have a problem with other jpgs in Forums > Member Classified. It will let me open the problematic jpg in another tab and download it. It just doesn't like those jpgs in that message.

There are a bunch of ways around it. Right click on the jpg and "Open image in new tab". Or right click, "Copy image" and paste it in an email. Or use Windows Snipping Tool (under Windows Accessories).

Thanks, guys, responses much appreciated. I do realize of course that there are other browsers and search engines (that's how I got the image to download), and other work-arounds. It just concerned me that google even has this feature (I was not aware of it, and I'm usually pretty good with knowing the functions of a browser), and that there is no way to disable it. With all the war on guns going on, I wondered if this was another example. Maybe it's not, I certainly hope it's not.

Booder98, yeah, it is encouraging that other images from AGN don't seem to get blocked. Weird that the ones in that ad do. [shrug]

I think the reason you are having issues trying to download this image has to do with the file name itself. The name has more than one "." in the name before the ".jpg". This prevents the file from being properly handled because the name should only have a single "." before the "jpg". When you go to download it change the name to eliminate the extra period and you should be good.

It is probably not google, but some AV like bit defender on your PC. "Google" doesn't "block downloads", that is not how that works.

Not so sure that's correct. The language quoted in my first post is from a google page, which was linked on the little box refusing the download. It appears to explain why google blocks downloads.

I don't have Bit Defender (or any similar AV).

https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/6261569?hl=en

FWIW, when I try to download that picture using Chrome on Linux I don't have any problems.

Another site somewhere says to bypass it you have to turn security to the lowest level AND disable safe browsing. Maybe a Windoz thing? Not sure what OS you're using.

Here's the link. First pic.

https://www.airgunnation.com/topic/wts-benjamin-marauder-22-cal-gen-1/

Here's the picture I was trying to download. FWIW, I went in and changed my Chrome browser settings to the lowest "security" level, and it still gave me the same message, "jpg can't be downloaded securely". No option to bypass. I tried it in Firefox and had no problem. Here's the picture. So far, it hasn't killed me.

1565118488_7487803995d49d018b15ec4.27149937_untitled-100.1651056887.jpg

Well, looks like the problem is solved. I can see the image(s) you posted just fine.

Of course, I could be wrong! (chuckle)