• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Goodwill Hunting

My wife and I visited a local country tree nursery and while we were looking at the trees I was checking out the multiple Purple Martin nesting sites they had up and noticed starlings and house sparrows flying in and out of all of the sites, along with the martins. Before we left I mentioned to the owner that I’d be happy to come out and thin the non-natives out, and he said to stop out anytime. I asked him what time they stopped taking customers so no one would be bothered and off we went on our other errands. Well after we had all our running around done and got home I told the wife I was heading out to the nursery and loaded up a folding bench and my .25 Crown. When I got there the owner was getting ready to leave and basically said have fun, so I set my bench up covering the site that had the most starlings, shot one, then just walked from one site to another, hitting birds as they calmed down and came back to roost. Birds that dropped on the property got picked up for disposal, but some that flew off and were subsequently picked off lines and fences stayed in the pastures. The owner came back about an hour later and saw the bucket and was really happy to see these birds gone. All in all a great way to spend an hour or so on a nice late afternoon. 

These were the ones that fell within the nursery. 2 nesting pairs of house sparrows and a gaggle of nesting starlings. That Crown is an absolute laser...

1590196150_8448277145ec877b6f34c94.57604090.jpeg

What a great opportunity Chuck! A.25? That's a lot of popping power for those birdies. What ranges were you shooting at? Great shooting too!

Yeah, I was thinking about that too but at the same time I didn’t want to have any of them flopping around. The ranges varied from 20 to 60 yards based on the shooting positions, but I did have some nice long ones out on the lines over the pasture. I was using a laser rangefinder and there wasn’t much wind today so it really made it a joy to be out. But yeah, those 20 yard shots were a bit loud on impact!