Good timing or bad timing to buy an air gun

Hello everyone

finally got my wildcat and afterwords even finally managed to find a few pellets. I won’t name where I purchased it from I’ll just say that they were no help in trying to acquire some just apologetic that there weren’t any. I get it if you don’t have them you can’t sell them. But it got me looking back in hindsight saying well maybe I bought my air gun and got into it a little bad timing. Took a while to get my gun, had a hard time finding pellets but finally did, and the air sources which were intended, the local dive shops have shut down because of the Covid economy.
Just seems as though everything is short I ordered an extra magazine for my wildcat they can’t even tell me when it might come. So just wondering if things are so good everything is short or things are so bad that everything is short.

I’ve been working so hard haven’t even had much of a chance to shoot my wildcat but the few times I have it’s been a joy so far.
Took out a couple of squirrels in the birdfeeder dropped one and the other one didn’t know what was going on so it just kind a looked around so I took him out also. When I did that with my 1022, everything ran for the hills. So the sniper is working as intended it’s not as often as intended LOL

Stay safe and here’s to full shelves in the future

You what is really funny the way I laugh when I saw a few youtubers a few years back..telling and showing their big stack of shelves full of all kinds of jsb ..I never thought on stacking the because they were always available and like you never had a lot of time to shoot.....a pandemic later.. who laughing now...lesson learned to have a stack of what you rifle likes just in case... and a compressor to .. that's next.

I guess that I would say that these times are just a bit more challenging for getting into airguns. Of course there are the supply chain disruptions and manufacturing disruptions which have been attributed to COVID. And all of that is compounded by the lack of ammo for firearms, and other reasons (something to do at home while COVID constrained) which have lead to lots more folks getting into air gunning for the first time.

Things will ultimately improve, but in the shorter term nothing is really going to get more available or less expensive. One has to have the mindset of getting what they want/need when it is available at a reasonable price (no, I still won't purchase pellets at least one shop is selling for $30 a tin, when I can still find them for $18 a tin and buy-4-get-1-free if I keep an eye on various other store inventories and strike when they get stock).

I guess that I was fortunate to have gotten more seriously into air gunning just over a year ago, when we were still pretty much locked down at home. Air guns (and electric bicycles) were still pretty much available at that time until a lot more folks caught on to their fun and sanity saving capabilities, and everything went out of stock. I have really been able to get whatever I was looking for, although I am retired so I can take the time to search various sites to find who has what.

Best guidance in getting what you need is to broaden your scope of vendors. Yes, there are some out there which are less than stellar in their service, and since air guns have become so popular there are rather many scam sites popping up which are just out to steal your money (when in doubt about a site ASK FOR OPINIONS HERE ON AGN! Many scam sites look pretty professional).

As far as an air source, with your Wildcat your air cylinder is not too large and its working pressure is not that high (when shooting at home I normally charge my guns to about 20 bar less than their listed working pressure, since I am close to a fill source). So you can get by with a smaller compressor. One buddy who I got into air gunning bought this (instead of a big bottle) little compressor on Amazon and uses it to fill his and his wife's Crowns when out at the range:

https://www.amazon.com/GX-Portable-Compressor-Oil-Free-Paintball/dp/B07XYRS15R

Watch for it to go on sale (I think that it had a 'coupon' for something like 7% off when he bought his). Also look for small compressors for which a reasonable 3-year warranty can be purchased. Chinese products are always hit-or-miss on quality - many trending more towards the 'miss' side of the equation. I think when my buddy bought his little compressor he also bought the extended warranty for 30-some dollars extra.

Good luck in finding what you need, but most importantly have fun with your new air gun.

You what is really funny the way I laugh when I saw a few youtubers a few years back..telling and showing their big stack of shelves full of all kinds of jsb ..I never thought on stacking the because they were always available and like you never had a lot of time to shoot.....a pandemic later.. who laughing now...lesson learned to have a stack of what you rifle likes just in case... and a compressor to .. that's next.

I don't want to be labeled a hoarder, but I just had to purchase an extra wire shelving rack as all of my pellet backorders started coming in at once. Fortunately for my needs all of the JSB variants (FX, AA, Daystate) work equally well for me.

IMG_1982.1629820228.JPG

While it’s harder to get pellets thanks to people like @TMH but I find more fun shooting cheap pellets through cheap guns even. I have a ton of fun shooting crosman pellets through my crosman guns, love my PP700 too. I have well over 20,000 crosman 177 pellets and 10,000 CPHP in .22 that cost me just over 300 dollars total so anytime is good time to get into airgun and shoot airgun if you ask me. I have compressor and scba tank but still use my hand pump on al my lower powered gun because it’s actually easier. 

THEN if you ask those crazy springer fanatics and they will roll on the floor laughing at your dive shop problem. 😂

Patience is the key. Buy the rifle when you can find one you want. In mean while get on wait list (preorder) as many times as you can. Find a vendor that has a preorder list and order. You may have to pay up front or not, depending on when they ship (for instance Pyramid Air doesn't charge your CC until order ships). I have an adequate supply of my favored pellets because I preordered back in June and July. They shipped to me this month. Just be patient and buy where and when you can. Beware price gougers and don't be tempted by fraud sites that seem to claim everything is in stock - it won't be. In short, if you like shooting air guns and want to buy one (or another) then do so. Just my opinion.

Good timing or bad timing to buy an air gun?

Bad timing to be wanting to buy ANYTHING. 

Mostly wrapping up an extensive house remodel (past 10 months) and you can't believe some of the material delays we dealt with. New siding was a 10 week wait. Replaced the shingles early on without any hassle, but took 4 months to get a couple extra bundles of matching shingles for the roof that was added over the deck and wasn't done yet when they first replaced shingles. 2 months for some of the bathroom tile. 10 weeks for countertops. 14 weeks for new garage door (still waiting on that one). Couple months for some of the kitchen appliances. And on and on and on. 

Global supply chain basically had a leg and its right hand amputated. 

While it’s harder to get pellets thanks to people like @TMH ...

Guilty as charged! (And unfortunately for all y'all, that goes for guns too...)

TMH I have about a quarter of the pellet stash that you do and I feel lucky to have that much. Just got another twenty tins from PA when they had the JSBs in stock for a bit. I will burn through them pretty fast once I get out to the range a bit more often. I seldom shoot less then 500 rounds when I actually get out to shoot.

Speaking of electric bikes I built a few. My 100lb 30+ year old daughter, with three daughters of her own, took this one up to 53mph on a nearby street. Evil daughter! Best I did was 42mph cuz I weigh more. Good thing I built it well.

Yes I found the JSB’s for over twice what I can get them for it AN or pyramid & some of the others. I’m not desperate enough to spend that kind of money on it. I saved my play money to buy my gun I will do the same to buy my pellets, compressor, and whatever else but I won’t waste it.
Thanks to all for the tips was kind of figuring some of these things out. I shoot 22s & they had some Hades in stock and before I could complete the order they were already back ordered LOL. I did get some others while they still have them in stock that shoot well in my gun. What I have will hold me over based on how much time I have to shoot versus supply I should be good for a little while. I work in the healthcare field soon so I don’t see me having much time tween work and regular home maintenance duties, I won’t be putting a big dent in my stash but I will try to get more in case I get more time.
Well as far as compressors go I just want to make sure that when I turn it on it works now and two years from now without a lot of extra rigmarole. I’ve seen a lot of “an expensive compressors” that people made all kind of adaptations to in order to make them work better cleaner increase their longevity etc. I’ll save my money up and try to buy a compressor that just works as it comes gives me good clean air will work now will word five years from now. Not sure which one that is yet but I have my eyes on a couple. Who knows by the time I save up enough for it they may reopen my local dog shop.
I’ve been looking high and low and usually I over analyze to the point I’m paralyzed paralysis by analysis is how I live usually.
I did finally find a dive shop to fill my tank actually I found three only one of them will take it up to 4400 psi the rest only wanna go to around 39 to 4000 psi. Also they’re 30+ miles away versus five which is what we had before Covid. Another topic for another day. I’m going to try not to hoard but I probably will be putting in an order every couple of months or in current situation back order/pre-order/wish list. LOL.
Thanks for all the tips and suggestions.

May your O-rings never go bad!

Live healthy

Stay healthy

I think Franklink said it good " Bad timing to be wanting to buy ANYTHING" The China virus has taken it's tole on whole world. I have a hard time believing it sometimes but I come to my senses whenever I try to buy the things I used to be able to get easy as so many of them are just no longer available. I feel blessed just to get most of the food items I want these days.

with the advancements in air rifles, and the increasing lethality of the more recent options, i think it is just a matter of time before more states (like NJ) start to restrict access or power levels, as well as the moderators (like canada)...

this is one reason i fell into the deep end of pcp, after thinking about it for over 5 years..i live in california where no rights are safe.

The fit and function of CARM mags is excellent. This performance is achieved based on excellent design, as well as manufacturing controls (based on my personal experience using CARM mags).

They generally hold 1-2 fewer pellets as compared to the comparable OEM magazines.

The biggest issue with CARM mags is that the buyer as well as the seller (Darko) really have no visibility of their transit, as they are being handled by 2 different postal services. The buyer needs to understand patience when ordering from CARM - not for them to be shipped out (Darko typically ships next day after order is received), but for ultimate delivery.

Yes, he sells to US customers, and all of my transactions with him have been safe and secure. And all ordered product has ultimately showed up. Sometimes as fast as 2 weeks. Mostly a little slower than that. Occasionally slower yet (4-6 weeks)

its a good time to get a mid to low range gun and (for now) just about unlimited supply of 17 and 22 premeirs and enjoy the heck out of it ... i really want an sk19 in 30, but as things are thats just not viable .. long wait just to get one and finding the ammo id want at a realistic enough price point that i can actually enjoy shooting it isnt going to happen ...