Good slug shooters that AREN'T FX?

Our RAW shoots slugs great, no need to swap a barrel! It has a Lothar Walther polygonal barrel

I know lots of people with Red Wolves that shoot slugs. It has a Lothar Walter polygonal, choked barrel. 

All of the Air force guns shoot slugs well. Lothar Walther barrels.

Evol, Uragan, Veteran, Cricket, Prophet, Raptor, almost any gun will shoot slugs well if you have the right diameter slug, with the right design, that’s the right weight for your gun’s power level. It’s getting easier and easier every day, lots of phenomenal slugs these days. You don’t pop in a slug and get great results like with pellets…Unless you get lucky which does happen from time to time.

There is no “magic slug” you just have to find the right one for your gun and set it up right. Part of the reason FX Impacts are so popular for slugs is because they have plenty of power and are very adjustable which is a huge advantage when tuning for slugs.

The majority of guys shooting slugs use choked barrels, they’re the most common in factory guns by far…Almost all are choked. Typically, people looked to non choked barrels for slugs in custom builds, TJ’s is a favorite, but you can definitely shoot slugs out of a choked barrel, you just need the right slug and tune. There are people who shoot slugs at slower speeds but generally, they work better faster because of the air gun barrel twist rates and because they’re spin stabilized whereas slow twist rates work awesome for drag stabilized Diabolo pellets.

Anyhoo, I’m gettin a little off topic, sorry. Almost any gun will shoot slugs if you find the right slug, tune and have the power to push it at the right velocity. It takes time to dial in a gun for a particular slug many people give up or chase their tail and never get it. Start with two or three recommended slugs to start with, if you get too many to start, you can drive yourself crazy. Just go slow and take good notes. There are plenty of people here who would be happy to help you if you need it.

If I was going to buy a new air gun just for slugs it would be the Impact, Evol or maybe the Raptor but they’ve had some issues. I already have an Impact and you don’t like them so if I were you, I’d buy an Evol, They’re awesome! 

Have a good one!

Good luck, Stoti

Not sure what "real world experience" is but the EVOL platform is one to look at in high end. My Redwolf Safari in .30 shoots slugs really well, only drawback is it's long.The nice thing about the EVOL platform is it doesn't make power from barrel length so it doesn't have the same harmonic difficulties other guns do so no poi shifts.

I absolutely love the AAA rifles, but I can’t spend that kind of money. Lol. 

Our RAW shoots slugs great, no need to swap a barrel! It has a Lothar Walther polygonal, choked barrel

I know lots of people with Red Wolves that shoot slugs. It has a Lothar Walter polygonal, choked barrel. 

Evol, Uragan, Veteran, Cricket, Prophet, Raptor, almost any gun will shoot slugs well if you have the right diameter slug, with the right design, that’s the right weight for your gun’s power level. It’s getting easier and easier every day, lots of phenomenal slugs these days. You don’t pop in a slug and get great results like with pellets…Unless you get lucky which does happen from time to time.

There is no “magic slug” you just have to find the right one for your gun and set it up right. Part of the reason FX Impacts are so popular for slugs is because they have plenty of power and are very adjustable which is a huge advantage when tuning for slugs.

The majority of guys shooting slugs use choked barrels, they’re the most common in factory guns by far…Almost all are choked. Typically, people looked to non choked barrels for slugs in custom builds, TJ’s is a favorite, but you can definitely shoot slugs out of a choked barrel, you just need the right slug and tune. There are people who shoot slugs at slower speeds but generally, they work better faster because of the air gun barrel twist rates and because they’re spin stabilized whereas slow twist rates work awesome for drag stabilized Diabolo pellets.

Anyhoo, I’m gettin a little off topic, sorry. Almost any gun will shoot slugs if you find the right slug, tune and have the power to push it at the right velocity. It takes time to dial in a gun for a particular slug many people give up or chase their tail and never get it. Start with two or three recommended slugs to start with, if you get too many to start, you can drive yourself crazy. Just go slow and take good notes. There are plenty of people here who would be happy to help you if you need it.

If I was going to buy a new air gun just for slugs it would be the Impact, Evol or maybe the Raptor but they’ve had some issues. I already have an Impact and you don’t like them so if I were you, I’d buy an Evol, They’re awesome! 

Have a good one!

Good luck, Stoti

My 25cal hm1000x has a no choke poly. 
tested three slugs yesterday with the factory tune for jsb king heavies.

tested jsb KO, mk2 KO and nsa 36.2

all three were around 1.25” at 50y 

with the mk2 ko being slightly better just under an inch 

Our RAW shoots slugs great, no need to swap a barrel! It has a Lothar Walther polygonal, choked barrel

Have a good one!

Good luck, Stoti

My 25cal hm1000x has a no choke poly. 
tested three slugs yesterday with the factory tune for jsb king heavies.

tested jsb KO, mk2 KO and nsa 36.2

all three were around 1.25” at 50y 

with the mk2 ko being slightly better just under an inch 

Our RAW shoots the NSA 36.2gr very well, most of the NSA slugs over 33.5gr(.250”). My mistake, I did say the RAW was choked, it’s not just the Red Wolf’s Poly barrel. That’s a good thing for shooting slugs though. Like I was saying, you can’t just pop them in and expect them to shoot great. You might have to adjust the hammer spring, the regulator or both. If I remember correctly, our RAW shoots them best around 945FPS. Of course, that would just be a starting point, you’ll have to dial in your gun. 

Stoti

Not sure what "real world experience" is but the EVOL platform is one to look at in high end. My Redwolf Safari in .30 shoots slugs really well, only drawback is it's long.The nice thing about the EVOL platform is it doesn't make power from barrel length so it doesn't have the same harmonic difficulties other guns do so no poi shifts.

I absolutely love the AAA rifles, but I can’t spend that kind of money. Lol. 

im planning to sell my AAA .30 evol, im going different route now... i pre order the M3 in .22 caliber and if i sell the evol im planning to buy a daystate wolverine on .25 or maybe a different .25 cal. rifle, i will list the evol on classifieds one of this days but, if you want, throw me an offer, what is the worst i can say? :)

.25 Uragán. Sending 36gr H&N at 945 fps, 37gr ZANs at 930 fps. MOA accuracy.

Totally agree with the uragan as an options, but I fear it’s so close to my wildcat, that I might as well use my wild cat instead. All it lacks is the big uragan bottle.

Sorry, the Wildcat is no where near the build quality of the Uragan. I keep seeing these threads. You might be interested to know that many of us have been shooting slugs long-Long before FX even thought of entering the game. They are the Jonny come Lately to the game. And still have a LOT to learn!

Knife

.25 Uragan shooting my hand cast .2514 dia. 47.2 gr slugs just at 100 fpe with more to go. 

DSC02823.1635746436.JPG
DSC02844.1635746511.JPG
 80 yards, 5 in one hole! Not cherry picked!!!

Totally agree with the uragan as an options, but I fear it’s so close to my wildcat, that I might as well use my wild cat instead. All it lacks is the big uragan bottle.

Sorry, the Wildcat is no where near the build quality of the Uragan. I keep seeing these threads. You might be interested to know that many of us have been shooting slugs long-Long before FX even thought of entering the game. They are the Jonny come Lately to the game. And still have a LOT to learn!

Knife

.25 Uragan shooting my hand cast .2514 dia. 47.2 gr slugs just at 100 fpe with more to go. 

DSC02823.1635746436.JPG
DSC02844.1635746511.JPG

While I’ve never held a Uragan before, I strongly disagree in quality. My wildcat is the only FX I’ve owned that I’ve kept. Why? Because it’s built better than the others I’ve owned, and it’s reliable to me. Every time I pull it out of the box, it just shoots. Those are great shots with the Uragan, and while I’m not an FX fanboy by far, I don’t see spending the money on an Uragan, when I’ve got something so similar in the Wildcat, I’d feel im wasting money. 

that being sad, from all of the responses here for slug shooters, the only “budget” high end slug shooter In the responses is the Uragan. All others are $3k plus. Makes me understand why FX are so popular. I know this is an FX driven forum, but it seems they have a lot more options for shooting slugs accurately compared to any other brand out there!

Air force texan 257 or 308

I should have specified I need a repeater. Sorry. Great choices though. I really like the air force lineup in general. If I am ever in the market for a big bore, I will look no further.

In keeping with the bullpup vibe, that shoot slugs well, and don't need much tuning , The HUBEN K1 , doesn't have a bottle , grouped well with slugs, good shot count, adjustable trigger, hammerless semi auto , air transfer port adjustability , ED GUN matador R5M ( up to .30 cal ) no bottle, but great shot count in .22 ,grouped well with slugs, forward duel side cocking lever , awesome consistent shot string, RTI PROPHET, HAS A BOTTLE! I don.t know a lot about this gun, My friend has one, and says it shoots slugs well. prefers it to his FX impact , I trust his opinion, on boutique guns, as he has several hi end ones. AGT URAGAN , HAS A BOTTLE ! Another of my friend's guns, I have shot this with slugs, and it did great! grouped well, great shot count , accurate and well made. With the exception of the RTI, ( I trust the owner's opinion, on it.) I have shot these guns for quite some time, and found them to be awesome. BUT I don't own them, to be clear. I have only borrowed and used for a extended time .. The Ed gun R5M .22 is my favorite , but these would be a good starting point. Good luck in your choice , 

Knife

DSC02823.1635746436.JPG
DSC02844.1635746511.JPG

While I’ve never held a Uragan before, I strongly disagree in quality. My wildcat is the only FX I’ve owned that I’ve kept. Why? Because it’s built better than the others I’ve owned, and it’s reliable to me. Every time I pull it out of the box, it just shoots. Those are great shots with the Uragan, and while I’m not an FX fanboy by far, I don’t see spending the money on an Uragan, when I’ve got something so similar in the Wildcat, I’d feel im wasting money. 

that being sad, from all of the responses here for slug shooters, the only “budget” high end slug shooter In the responses is the Uragan. All others are $3k plus. Makes me understand why FX are so popular. I know this is an FX driven forum, but it seems they have a lot more options for shooting slugs accurately compared to any other brand out there!

I’ve owned a wildcat…feels like a lightweight Hatsan compared to raw hmx 

Well that doesn't make sense whatsoever. How can you strongly disagree on the quality statement when you admittedly state that you've never held one. A strong statement considering it is based on emotion rather then actual experience. 

Knife

Because I have an opinion, and it’s my own. Everyone is entitled to an opinion. But keep on going, I’m all ears!

Excluding FX is making your path to slug happiness more difficult. No other gun has the number of EXTERNAL adjustments available to the end user as the FX Impact does, and it easily generates more than enough power to shoot slugs The Maverick is close. I'm not saying some other guns don't shoot slugs well, or cannot be made to shoot slugs well. I had a .30 Uragan that shot great. It was big and heavy, so I sold it. I was recently considering adding another slug shooter to one other that I have. After looking at the adjustability, available aftermarket products, in a reasonable form factor (to me), I bought another Impact. There's a good reason owners of the Leshiy 2 and Taipan Veterans are jumping for joy now that they can fit the FX Smooth Twist X barrels to their guns.

I have a compact FX Impact 2 30 cal power plenum and am thinking of a 700mm 22 barrel assy just for slugs. How difficult is it to go back and forth from Compact .30 to long barreled 22?? What twist barrel is optimum for 22 slugs? Do you just write down the settings to go back and forth or…….? I do realize that a larger bottle would be optimal also and have read here that 700 bottles are available. Where does one purchase the complete barrel kit from? Or is it more cost efficient to put an FX barrel or a custom barrel with the correct twist on a non-FX airgun??