• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Good Scope That Won't Break The Bank?

I have Vortex optics mounted on every air rifle that I have. Their Crossfire II line is inexpensive, has a very useful reticle, really good glass at price point, handles springer recoil with no issue, and has a no BS lifetime warranty. They can be bought on Amazon and nearly any where else.

1.1646099669.jpg

I’ve had my $100 Hawke Vantage 2-7x32 survive a magnum Diana 54 and stock 15ftLb HW98. The glass is OK. It’s been 7 years so far. Ironically my Hawke $500 SideWinder 6.5-20x42 died on my tuned 12FtLb HW97. 

I have a $200 HW brand 4x32 that was included with my HW30 Urban Pro that AEAC said is really good on his springers. I recently got the UrbanPro and haven’t shot it yet. I’m building up the motivation to clean/polish/wax the barrel before I send rounds down range.

If you can spring to $200, do not want a China scope and can deal with a side focus adjustable down to 50 yards then this Burris is a winner. I use it now because I can’t get the Nikon any longer. 
I have many Nikon scopes and some Burris as well. I compared this Burris to a Nikon P5 Prostaff 4-16x42sf. Both MOA reticles. Very comparable scopes. I set the both scopes on 14x power. The results. Brightness: The Burris is bright but the Nikon barely edges it out. I was pleased that the Burris was so close. Turrets: The Nikon is positive and precise. The Burris is positive but a bit mushy. Reticle: The Nikon is fine and well spaced. The Burris is heavier and very busy. Eye Focus: Nikon very firm adjustment and solid with no slop. Burris is easier to adjust and appears solid with no slop. I prefer the extra tightness of the Nikon. This function is where the China scopes fail miserably. When the eye focus lens moves up and down/ sideways “slop” so does the crosshair image. Overall: I like the Burris “especially the looks” and being I can’t get Nikon scopes any longer, the Burris will have to do as I will NOT buy any China Made anything! Burris scopes are made in the Philippines where Nikon were made. “At this price” I know of no other scope made in the Philippines. Vortex Viper is the cheapest model they make that starts in the Philippines. Diamondback, Copperhead made in CHINA. Tried them both and sent back. Not comparable. What does that tell you?

Also the scope is covered by the “Burris Forever” warranty.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B019KDSRBG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_image?ie=UTF8&psc=1

If you can spring to $200, do not want a China scope and can deal with a side focus adjustable down to 50 yards then this Burris is a winner. I use it now because I can’t get the Nikon any longer. 
I have many Nikon scopes and some Burris as well. I compared this Burris to a Nikon P5 Prostaff 4-16x42sf. Both MOA reticles. Very comparable scopes. I set the both scopes on 14x power. The results. Brightness: The Burris is bright but the Nikon barely edges it out. I was pleased that the Burris was so close. Turrets: The Nikon is positive and precise. The Burris is positive but a bit mushy. Reticle: The Nikon is fine and well spaced. The Burris is heavier and very busy. Eye Focus: Nikon very firm adjustment and solid with no slop. Burris is easier to adjust and appears solid with no slop. I prefer the extra tightness of the Nikon. This function is where the China scopes fail miserably. When the eye focus lens moves up and down/ sideways “slop” so does the crosshair image. Overall: I like the Burris “especially the looks” and being I can’t get Nikon scopes any longer, the Burris will have to do as I will NOT buy any China Made anything! Burris scopes are made in the Philippines where Nikon were made. “At this price” I know of no other scope made in the Philippines. Vortex Viper is the cheapest model they make that starts in the Philippines. Diamondback, Copperhead made in CHINA. Tried them both and sent back. Not comparable. What does that tell you?

Also the scope is covered by the “Burris Forever” warranty.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B019KDSRBG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_image?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The Sig Sauer Whiskey3 4-12X44 ASP that came with the ASP20 air rifle as a combo package are made in the Philippines.

Do you have a magnification and price range? Maybe you can get a direct recommendation if people knew what you were looking for?

Bear made some good points about quality points. Yes Hawke is made in China but the one he recommended was under the $200 price point made in his later post preferring the Philippines scopes.

I use the Vantage and Airmax scopes on my all my airguns and some PBs. Generally I try to stay within Hawke's 12fpe springer limits on the Vantages. I have a 3-9x40 AO Vantage that's occasionally been on customer guns all the way upto R1s for testing and it's still alive and well. That said I wouldn't recommend it for that full-time. I'm know I'm pushing my luck with that one and will deal with consequences.

Hawkes in a nutshell 

Vantage springer rated <12fpe, decent glass, simple but effective mildot reticles, tactile but inaudible turrets. Economical 

Airmax 1" springer rated no limit fpe, much better glass (brighter and clearer), audible but mushy turrets, very fine etched glass1/2 mildot reticle that's excellent for ranging and holdovers and windage. Reticle is so fine it's difficult to see in busy dim backgrounds. Not great for squirrel hunting in the woods. Nearly Bulletproof but cost another $100 over the Vantage.

There's other brands of scopes in their price range out there, some better, most worse. I like the Hawke because I'm not a glass junkiy and I'm comfortable with the cost value of the Hawkes. I stay with them because I have found their warranty service Excellent.

Fwiw I'm familiar with better glass. I have Nikon Prostaff5 and Vortex Viper scopes on some of my PBs but their additional range warrants better glass. I find even the Vantages are sufficient my <100 yard rimfire and airgun use but I do like the the Airmax reticles and glass enough to spend the extra 100 bucks.

If you get a Sportsmatch Dampa mount it's cheap insurance for whatever scope you choose. Using one, I ran the afore mentioned 3-9x40 Vantage on my 19 fpe R1 and 23 fpe Rx1 for several thousand rounds without issue. It somewhat diminishes the importance of needing a "springer rated" scope and opens up a lot of other scope options for you. Especially on a Hw97 which isn't terribly tough on scopes in the first place. 

GoldenStateAIRGUNer. I like the look of that Sig scope. Are you saying it is made in the Philippians?

I have also used the Hawke Vantage 3-9x40AO on everything up to the most powerful magnums including the the Hatsan 135. It’s still going fine. The eye focus ring is not real tight and if bumped the impact point will change. I don’t like that about the Hawke and most China scopes. Just another thing to watch.

GoldenStateAIRGUNer. I like the look of that Sig scope. Are you saying it is made in the Philippians?

I have also used the Hawke Vantage 3-9x40AO on everything up to the most powerful magnums including the the Hatsan 135. It’s still going fine. The eye focus ring is not real tight and if bumped the impact point will change. I don’t like that about the Hawke and most China scopes. Just another thing to watch.

It is made in the Philippines. I just sold my RWS 34 with the Sig scope. I still have another one as well.