• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Good Out of the Box Shooters (PCPs) - Share Your Experiences

You might wanna do that...(-:

Meanwhile:

rbCWSoEh.jpg
I really love the look of this rifle and I like the lever that was added to replace the bolt on the Revere Huntsman. I may have to get one eventually. Also, being a Brocock owner, I'm confident in the Daystate build quality. That stock really looks like a piece of art with the stippling. I've read many good things about this rifle.

FX Cown Continuum - one hole stack pellets
Benjamin Akela - Dime size groups
Benjamin P-Rod - Dime Size groups
Daystate Air Wolf - one hole stack pellets
BSA R10 - one hole stack pellets
Caiman x - Dime Size group
Air Arms S510 Carbine - one hole stack pellets
American Air Arms Paradigm - one hole stack pellets
Daystate Huntsman Regal - one hole stack pellets
BSA Scorpion Multi-shot - Dime size groups
Every one of these rifles are legacy walnut stock works of art.

Reactions: Joedirt199
I may look at those daystates at aoa now.
When I first discovered PCP rifles back in Dec 2022, I had no feeling for the Daystate rifles. Electonic air rifles just made zero sense for my 70 years on this earth and my safe full of traditional, walnut stocked centerfire and rim fire works of art. Then I bought a pre-owned Daystate Air Wolf MCT (2011) and I was sold on the Daystate brand. Highest quality! I followed the Electonic Wolf with a mechanical Huntsman Regal (2011) with a new BSA R10 and Air Arms S510 Carbine in between, and was totally sold on the quality and accuracy of the brand. I am not a fan of the newest electronic rifles from Daystate, because it is just not my thing. The Huma Air regulated mechanical Daystate rifles do pique my interest, though with 10 rifles in the collection, I think I am done! I spent 26 years in the Marine Corps and Navy with walnut stock M-14s and black AR Rifles and I will take Walnut over black plastic every time. I have no need to play GI Joe or Jane in my fantasies . . . been there done that. . . . but I fully understand the attraction of black rifles for the younger generations who are still fantasizing, or the Middle East vets with tattooed arms (in the FX ads) who know mostly or only the black rifles. I am just too old for such nonsense, and still covet walnut stocks and accurate barrels. 🍻

Last edited:
When I first discovered PCP rifles back in Dec 2022, I had no feeling for the Daystate rifles. Electonic air rifles just made zero sense for my 70 years on this earth and my safe full of traditional, walnut stocked centerfire and rim fire works of art. Then I bought a pre-owned Daystate Air Wolf MCT (2011) and I was sold on the Daystate brand. Highest quality! I followed the Electonic Wolf with a mechanical Huntsman Regal (2011) with a new BSA R10 and Air Arms S510 Carbine in between, and was totally sold on the quality and accuracy of the brand. I am not a fan of the newest electronic rifles from Daystate, because it is just not my thing. The Huma Air regulated mechanical Daystate rifles do pique my interest, though with 10 rifles in the collection, I think I am done! I spent 26 years in the Marine Corps and Navy with walnut stock M-14s and black AR Rifles and iI will take Walnut over black plastic every time. I have no need to paly GI Joe or Jane in my fantasies . . . been there done that. . . . but I fully understand the attraction of black rifles for the younger generations who are still fantasizing.. I'm am just too old for such non-sense, and still ove walnut stocks and accurate barrels. 🍻

That's a lot of nice PCPs for only having the habit for 5-6 months!! I thought I was bad. ;)

FX Cown Continuum - one hole stack pellets
Benjamin Akela - Dime size groups
Benjamin P-Rod - Dime Size groups
Daystate Air Wolf - one hole stack pellets
BSA R10 - one hole stack pellets
Caiman x - Dime Size group
Air Arms S510 Carbine - one hole stack pellets
American Air Arms Paradigm - one hole stack pellets
Daystate Huntsman Regal - one hole stack pellets
BSA Scorpion Multi-shot - Dime size groups
Every one of these rifles are legacy walnut stock works of art.

@orangeokie Some good guns you listed there. Some of these are way over the stated budget. Take a look at the criteria in the first post.

That's a lot of nice PCPs for only having the habit for 5-6 months!! I thought I was bad. ;)
🍻

My wife just about had a heart attack when she peeked into my safe (which I foolishly left unlocked and open) and counted "four or five new rifles!" When there are 60 gorgeous centerfire an rim fire rifles lined up what does another nine or 10 gorgeous air rifles add up to . . . "four or five!" :ROFLMAO:

• Haha
Reactions: Ranchibi
@orangeokie Some good guns you listed there. Some of these are way over the stated budget. Take a look at the criteria in the first post.
If I could only own one PCP out of the box . . . after everything I have learned over the past five months, this would be it!

Zbroia hortisia know it's not that popular of a brand but it is just something elegant about the guns in the dark stained wood, plus they shoot lights out. Imo very underrated brand in general.

My 5 PCPs were all under $500 and thus well under budget per the spec in the first post. They all shot fine out of the box but I have tinkered with all of them to some degree.

The first was my Prod. I still have not messed with it's trigger and it came with a very usable and accurate tune but I decided it needed more power to reliably stop squirrels with body shots. So it's been re-tuned and I like it with the higher power (about 18 fpe). I am also making it a custom stock. But it shot fine without mods. Crosman is very good about supplying parts but you need to call them, you can't order parts from a website. I just ordered extra transfer ports when I was coming up with the new tune.

Next was an Avenger - back when they were $300. I sent it in for waranty service due to a leak but it has been fine since. I've had it a couple years now. I did not like the idea of the regulator set at 2500 psi or more from the factory so I drained the air and turned it down to about 1800 psi. I've gone up from that and then back down since. I've also messed with the trigger to make it lighter and one stage. It is noisy so I put a Tanto on it and it currently has a pretty effective in shroud moderator on it. It's currently shooting FX 25.4s about 930 fps with a regulator setting of about 2200 psi, about 42 fpe (it;s a 25). I haven't tried ordering parts for my Avenger, it hasn't broken.

My favorites are my 3 P35s. A 177, a 22, and a 25 caliber. They use a printed in shroud moderator to make them all about 85db. They weigh 5 lbs with their home made wood stocks, with their OEM plastic stocks they were about 5.2 lbs. The trigger was too heavy for me but is easy to adjust. I've adjusted the regulator on the 25 to reduce the power some since it likes FTTs which are only 20 grain. It and the 22 are about 32 fpe, the 177 is about 19. The 22 is very accurate, I've shot two 199s at the 30 yard challenge with it. The 177 has several targets over 190 with the best about a 194. The 25 is much less accurate but it routinely drops squirrels with one shot - it is accurate enough. It has taken 18 so far. I've ordered a new barrel for it. Krale sells the P35 and will get parts for you but you have to wait for SPA to ship their next gun order to them for them to get your parts. Not the most convenient path but parts are available.

The 4 guns I tried before I started messing with them shot fine out of the box. The P35-25's first shot velocity was a bit off until I decreased the hammer spring setting some to better match the regulator setting. The other two P35s did not have a great match between the regulator and the hammer spring but it didn't affect their velocity (the hammer spring was stronger than it needed to be on all of them). I think they are more efficient in using air now that they are better balanced. Triggers were somewhat heavy except for the Prod. Other than the Avenger air leak all my guns really needed to shoot at their best was a little screw turning for the trigger, and a little adjusting on the hammer spring and some testing with different pellets to determine what they liked. I did not have to do these things but I think it is reasonable to expect to make adjustments like this at least in this lower price range.

Agreed. Air rifles, today, should be accurate and reliable when we receive them from the manufacturer.

Two that have been like that, for me, are the Daystate RedWolf (the first one, in .22) and the Daystate Huntsman Revere-R (in 177)

I have absolutely no desire to "fix" something that was broken before I bought it; especially at the price air rifles are going for, today.

If enough air-gunners demanded the same, we would see the end of the unreliable "cr@p" being sold on the market.
Ditto on the Daystate Huntsman Revere-R (in 177). The quality is there and it's not that pellet picky. I don't have one but I just watched a video on the Huntsman Revere in .22 that was very impressive! If it's not against any rules, here's the video:

Last edited:
Reactions: Ranchibi
My Artemis regulated M16a from airgunArcheryfun and the vortex scope I got a smoker deal from EuroOptic. With rings, scope and rifle everything was just under $700. This thing shoots AA 18s and H&N 18 HPs like nothing else. Lots of starlings and several crows later, this thing’s a hammer. I tried to turn it back for FT competition but it doesn’t like shooting at 20 ftlbs, 700 fps roughly with 18s. It likes being around 875 or so, then it shoots with several match rimfires at 50 yards. It’s my new truck gun, lol!

IMG_5194.jpeg

Last edited:
I have a Stoeger XM1 Bull Shark (bull pup) . in .22 caliber. It's regulated and you can tune with the hammer spring. Out the box with JSB 18.13 pellets 880 fps. very accurate at forty yards. I haven't shot at a longer distance. 32 fpe, Fills to the 250 bar, 265 cc air tube , about 50 shots, down to the 140 bar, weight - 6.17 pounds, barrel length 19.3 inches, over all length 27.5 inches, Synthetic stock, forward cocking lever, comes with 2 magazines and a load of other extras. 5 year warranty Price 480.00. I mounted a Hawke 4-12 x 40 AO scope. I am very happy with this bull pup. Sorry no picture, I'll work on that.

@BackStop The Nova Freedom that I saw looked similar to a Senaca Aspen. I’d read some good things about it. Would you go that route again despite the rubber breaking down in the pump?
Not a bad price either at around $380 https://www.airgunsofarizona.com/pu...tical-nova-freedom-multi-shot-pcp-airgun-.22/
A .22 Seneca Aspen was one of my very first PCPs. True, they've had a bad bout of pump problems, but when I bought mine, I think the company had it figured out. Anyway, I've still got mine and even though unregulated, it shoots like a dream. Hit a sparrow on a power line at 80yds! I could hardly believe it. So depending on your settings, you have to pump 4-6 times for build up from each shot. But...quite honestly I bought it for a SHTF rifle anyway. The main thing is when pumping it do go 'all in' and pump it like a beast; fast, hard, continuous. Pump it a few times, let it rest and a few minutes later do a few more pumps.