• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Good Out of the Box Shooters (PCPs) - Share Your Experiences

My first 'real' airgun was a Hatsan Factor RC. It was incredible out of the box and it still is. It sucked me in to this community and made me realize that this was going to wind up becoming a very expensive hobby. So.... I bought an FX Impact M3 (600mm). Also incredible out of the box but twice as incredible as the Factor? No. It was $1000 more and probably "cooler" but until my adjustable butt stock and adjustable cheek riser come in (add another $300+ to the price of the Impact) the Hatsan is a far more comfortable rifle to shoot.

It doesn't seem like Hatsan gets too much love and I don't know their backstory, but the Factor is pretty impressive. So is the Impact...

AGT and Daystate normally out of the box are pin point...... BUT:

No rifle I own or know is as easy to use and adjust as the Sidewinders, just dim in and you have less power, dim out and you have more power, both in a wide range not achievable that easy by any other old system (spring and hammer) rifles.

If the sidewinder would have an excellent trigger (now is not bad, but you need to learn how to pull it), must of other air rifles manufacturers would need to change their business to make and sell pup corn (FX included).

For what it does, my Crosman 1701P comes as close to perfect out of the box as I've encountered. It is a target gun and it does that very well. It gets 40-50 shots in the sweet spot and shoots lights-out. Now, I did end up making a minor trigger adjustment and I put some custom target grips on it, but I shoot it with the factory tune for 3.5FPE.
I realize high power is alluring and seductive, but this low-powered gem does what it was made for with virtually no adjustment out of the box.

Daystate huntsman revere .177 nonregulated. Showed up shooting 10.3 grs at 900 fps. Just needed to shoot a string to see where the start and finish of the curve is. 200 bar down to 150 bar give me about 60 shots and only swings 20 fps up then down. Pretty consistent and the cocking motion is buttery smooth. Add scope, air, pellets, mod and go.

I may look at those daystates at aoa now.
You might wanna do that...(-:

Meanwhile:

rbCWSoEh.jpg

Crosman 1720T: Paid $300 used but new are $450
Crosman 1701P: $350 new from Crosman when they had discount
Crosman Challenger: $450 from Crosman, now they are $650-850 and new version is $900 I think, keep in mind my version is limited to 5FPE
BSA Ultra: $450 used and $650 new but good luck finding a new one. CLX is the replacement and no dealer here in the US
AA S200: $450 used and $600 new, can still get them
PP700: $250 from Krale.shop
PP750: $280 from Wes @ airgunarcheryfun.ca
DreamTac-Compact: $1150 from Utah air

Forgot to mention I had 3 AEA guns and they were all around $600-700 bucks. Outside of crappy mags the gun has been surprisingly reliable but I don't shoot them much. Honestly if you want trouble free gun then I wouldn't get AEA, not the semi auto at least.

I sold the BSA Ultra, PP700, PP750 and the challenger, in the end I didn't lose much money for trying them so it's a good way to go. I would stay away from anything from UK because support is basically non-existence and parts have to be bought from UK and that is IF they will ship. A set of O-Rings ended up cost me over 20 bucks with shipping which is terrible and major reason I sold my BSA but still have the S200 collecting dust for some reason. Crosman guns are not powerful but very good out of box without any tuning, in fact the factory tunes are VERY GOOD and should be left alone. The OG Crosman guns are made in US and have excellent support plus super easy to fix. My friend had the AA S510 and I would not recommend them plus they cost 1500 bucks now.

DreamTac-Compact is phenomenal, it can be messed with but in factory form it is superb and extremely reliable(over 5000 pellets easy) even though I molested it more time than I can count. However the price got raised to $1250 now but a used one can be found for under $1000, they are fantastic as long as you don't try to shoot 900 fps. It honestly is one of my all time favorite gun and could not recommend it more if you don't shoot pass 60 yards. Ex-neighborhood squirrels certainly doesn't love my little silent backyard sniper like I do. LOL

The theme is lower power guns are generally really good out of box and inexpensive. High power especially playing with slugs is cost you plus good amount of work. The exception would be the Dreamline classic @ 1100 bucks will be plenty power with great accuracy out of box and flexibility to play around with down the road, it is best value(accuracy, quality, support, reliability, flexibility) in the 1000 dollar price range by a long shot. Just my 2 pennies.
What is up with CLX not being available here, I for 1 would be all over it!

Reactions: qball