• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Good Out of the Box Shooters (PCPs) - Share Your Experiences

I have three FX rifles. A Wildcat MKIII .22, a Crown Continuum MKII .22 and an Impact MKII in .22. They came from UA, UA and PA respectively. Each had their companies in house tune before shipping with JSB 18.13’s and all work outstanding. Now it’s my turn to screw them up.
Not even close to $1200

Reactions: Stan’s boy John
The one, dirt cheap pcp, that I bought refurbed for $225, that I thought would never last, was the Hatsan Vectis in .177. I did nothing to the action, or trigger, but I did cut off the stupid muzzlebrake and screwed on a Tanto. It truly still shoots amazingly well and I have never had one problem with it. It likes CPD 10.5gr, JSB 13.xRDs and NSA 12.5gr slugs. It shoots around .75" groups at 75 yards with the NSA slugs. I am quite happy with that, the starlings are not. For those that want to know this is all at the same hs setting and they do 950, 850, 880fps respectively. I fill to 2600psi and only shoot one mag to keep it shooting exact. The starlings usually all take off after I drop one anyway. Nobody is more surpised by this guns performance than me.

Reactions: MOhunter
I really like my Weihrauch HW100S .22 cal. It works flawlessly with excellent accuracy. I haven't touched any adjustments. As it came, 38 ft lbs with JSB 128.13 and H&N 21.1 Baracuda Match; it will average very close to 1/2" for five shot groups at fifty yards, beating my Kimber Hunter 22 with all but very expensive match ammunition. It fills to 200 Bar and gets 28 shots per fill out of a fairly small reservoir. Not a modular tactical style gun for tinkerers, a classic with a nice walnut stock.

All four of my Brococks… just unboxed, few patches down the barrel, mount scope, go shooting. Never tinkered with any of them other than lightening the triggers. All very accurate and solidly reliable from day one.
@L.Leon Good guns, they're just beyond the stated limit of a $1200 budget.

Reactions: L.Leon
Daystate Huntsman
177 "NON-REGULATED" in Regal or Revere configuration...AOA has brand new Reveres non-reg for 1099.00 with 5 year warrenty...Been shooting one (Regal) for years...For a beginner or ANYONE looking for preminum preformance at a "fair" price this is the way to go...don't get cought up in worring about "no reg" I did a test YEARS ago with mine, 90 shots off my knee at 25 yards could be covered with a quarter(I did have the sling shot turned down a little but not necessary out of box)...that picture is posted somewhere...I killed that phone and lost all my pixs. I will post, again, a target boards I shot years ago, (and it hasn't lost a thing) with Air Arms 10.34 pellets at 25 and 55 yards 10 shot groups (ALL TEN SHOTS!!!)
Screenshot_20230309_084018_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20230309_084119_Chrome.jpg
...with my 3rd hand un-regulated Regal...I have some of the best airguns on earth in my collection and NON OF 'EM CAN OUT SHOT THIS UNREGULATED REGAL!!! I dispached many pests with it and mine shoots CPHP very well and easy to hand pump...great trigger and you couldn't shoots one anymore than I have with no issues...I believe in this platform...I have two Regals...I can't imagain anyone not being satisified with one of these...I post this for the benfit of others in this hobby cause I'm a believer!

Almost any PCP that you buy from the cheapest on up will shoot fairly well right out of the box following a good barrel clean and finding a compatible pellet. This is for hunting purposes where precision accuracy is not necessary. Once the discussion turns into tuning, slugs, barrels, and various parts changes, fuggetaboutit! Leave the tinkering out of this equation. For your criteria, my vote goes for the Daystate Revere (regulated or unregulated) or any of the Air Arms rifles that falls within your price limits. An FX Dreamline would work too, but stay away from the tools.

Daystate Huntsman
177 "NON-REGULATED" in Regal or Revere configuration...AOA has brand new Reveres non-reg for 1099.00 with 5 year warrenty...Been shooting one (Regal) for years...For a beginner or ANYONE looking for preminum preformance at a "fair" price this is the way to go...don't get cought up in worring about "no reg" I did a test YEARS ago with mine, 90 shots off my knee at 25 yards could be covered with a quarter(I did have the sling shot turned down a little but not necessary out of box)...that picture is posted somewhere...I killed that phone and lost all my pixs. I will post, again, a target boards I shot years ago, (and it hasn't lost a thing) with Air Arms 10.34 pellets at 25 and 55 yards 10 shot groups (ALL TEN SHOTS!!!)View attachment 343635View attachment 343636...with my 3rd hand un-regulated Regal...I have some of the best airguns on earth in my collection and NON OF 'EM CAN OUT SHOT THIS UNREGULATED REGAL!!! I dispached many pests with it and mine shoots CPHP very well and easy to hand pump...great trigger and you couldn't shoots one anymore than I have with no issues...I believe in this platform...I have two Regals...I can't imagain anyone not being satisified with one of these...I post this for the benfit of others in this hobby cause I'm a believer!
I agree 100 percent.

Daystate Huntsman
177 "NON-REGULATED" in Regal or Revere configuration...AOA has brand new Reveres non-reg for 1099.00 with 5 year warrenty...Been shooting one (Regal) for years...For a beginner or ANYONE looking for preminum preformance at a "fair" price this is the way to go...don't get cought up in worring about "no reg" I did a test YEARS ago with mine, 90 shots off my knee at 25 yards could be covered with a quarter(I did have the sling shot turned down a little but not necessary out of box)...that picture is posted somewhere...I killed that phone and lost all my pixs. I will post, again, a target boards I shot years ago, (and it hasn't lost a thing) with Air Arms 10.34 pellets at 25 and 55 yards 10 shot groups (ALL TEN SHOTS!!!)View attachment 343635View attachment 343636...with my 3rd hand un-regulated Regal...I have some of the best airguns on earth in my collection and NON OF 'EM CAN OUT SHOT THIS UNREGULATED REGAL!!! I dispached many pests with it and mine shoots CPHP very well and easy to hand pump...great trigger and you couldn't shoots one anymore than I have with no issues...I believe in this platform...I have two Regals...I can't imagain anyone not being satisified with one of these...I post this for the benfit of others in this hobby cause I'm a believer!
I like those, but they aren't left hand friendly

I like those, but they aren't left hand friendly
yes, lefty here also , i bit the bullet and went custom stocks , yeah $$$$ but i enjoy the rifles so much more and even better ,they fit better than lefty factory stocks but again lot of $$$ i could just keep repeating this over and over .
P.S. really i only have 2 custom stocks AA S510 in .22 and HW97 , 177

Reactions: orangeokie
After reading many threads where members ask questions seeking advice concerning which gun to purchase for hunting/pesting, a first PCP for backyard plinking, or wanting to tryout benchrest styled shooting I saw several posts where tinkerers, competitors, and mechanically inclined members are advising Rick Fat Thumb, Mr. Cubicle, and Joe Hammerfist to purchase their favorite first tinkerers’ toy. So it dawned on me this morning to search for a thread listing and detailing members’ experiences with good “out of the box shooters.” I didn’t find much in a quick search, so I felt compelled to create a thread for it.

In the context of this thread a good “out of the box shooter” should be a gun that is relatively easy to setup for a person completely new to PCP airguns, shoots with consistent accuracy, and maintains the potential for relatively reliable precision once the shooter learns what it takes to shoot more precisely. Considering that this is a thread that will likely benefit more people new to air gunning, let’s aim to keep the cost for rifles under $1200 and air pistols under $600. The suggested guns should meet the following criteria:

1. The guns must be PCP airguns.
  2. After unboxing, affixing an optic or sights, maybe giving the barrel a decent cleaning to remove most of the manufacturer’s grease, gassing up, and sighting in your scope (if applicable), the gun should shoot accurately and relatively consistently within a reasonable distance for its build out of the box. This entails something like 10 yards for pistols, 25 -35 yards for low-powered compact carbines and bullpups (maybe < 20-25fpe), and 50 yards for moderately priced entry level and budget rifles on up into up into the lower middle-tiered PCPs. It should do this without having to be tuned by a distributor or gunsmith.
  3. It may be regulated or unregulated.
  4. It should be a gun built to last more than a year without the accuracy being compromised. Maybe share with us how it has held up after a year or two.
Other things that may be helpful-
  • Guns you’ve had your eye on for a while are great, but guns you have experience with are preferred.
  • Specify what the gun’s strengths and weaknesses are. Are there known issues or problematic parts?
  • Suggest what you believe good primary and secondary uses are (e.g. a good pesting tool for animals “xxx” size to “zzz” size, good basement paper target puncher, etc).
  • Be sure to discuss the sound level and weight.
  • Finally, parts and diagrams should be relatively easy to access.
and still your asking an opinion , " this gun is truly wonderful out of the box and first shot "hit my steel target @ 75 yards !" turns out his target was 18 inch diameter steel saw blade . But what else is there ? Luckly this is AGN and most people have an idea of what your asking .

Reactions: Stan’s boy John