Good Out of the Box Shooters (PCPs) - Share Your Experiences

AA s510 xs ultimate sporter - my first and only pcp so far, and out of the box it’s been nothing but perfect for me. Tuned and familiarized with powers 3, 4, 5 - yardages from 15-100 so far.

I like the power settings, gives you flexibility with tuning for your liking, without having to modify anything

The craftsmanship is also amazing for a hunting style rifle

Reactions: meharris3
I have two
A Benjamin Cayden and a Brocock Concept XR.
Both in .22
Both were great out of the box.
I installed scopes and cleaned the barrel.

Zero and neither were pellet fussy.
Triggers were both good.
I did not have to do any tuning.
Brocock was regulated, Cayden was not.
Both had adjustable transfer ports to lower the power and increase shot count.

Both exceeded my expectations as to accuracy and built quality.

My 600 bucks Rainstorm .30 has been sub MOA ( max range shot 80 yards ) since day one, still untouched by a tuner and not a single problem in over 6 years now, not even the slightest leak.

I had several Rainstorms through the years and for the 600 range they used to come in, very good guns.
@AirArcher66 The Rainstorm is made by Evanix right?

The first PCP airguns I bought were the Nova Vista Freedom in .177. Yeah, I bought them for the onboard pump which turned out to be the Achilles heel for them.

However, both of the .177s were sub MOA out to 50-60 yards (pretty much as far as I could safely take shots at pests at the time) until they succumbed to the bits and pieces of the onboard pump clogging it up as the O-sleeve disintegrated. The 2 O-ring solution may work, but I need to take them totally apart and clean out all the little bits first.

The .22 version never worked well enough for me to know if it was the same sort of tack driver. I sent it back and bought the exact same gun back for $100+, but could never fix the leaks nor get any consistency out of it.

I still have all 3 and would like to either revive them in their natural configuration or convert them to bottle guns.

The only real complaint I have (other than the problems with the onboard pump) is that they are pretty heavy and LOUD!

Nothing I could do about the weight, but I did make a couple of noise reducers out of 1 inch PVC that worked VERY WELL! (grin)

The Liberty was the version without the onboard pump (I wish I had bought that one) and the Avenger and a couple of others are descendants of those that people seem to have good results with today.

One note, the barrel bands WILL cause problems because they do not allow the barrel/shroud to float free, so as the pressure tube changes pressure, the POI will change.

I think that may be one of the problems I am having with the DAR I own... see my sig.

p.s.

The .177 Nova Vista Freedoms were accurate "Right Out Of The Box".

Last edited:
Here is my list:

Crosman 1720T
Crosman 1701P
Crosman Challenger
BSA Ultra
AA S200
PP700
PP750
However I've tried to mess with all of them and majority of them don't want to or can't be changed without major surgery so basically they are back to out of box. LOL!

Lastly FX DreamTac Compact, I've changed it more times than I can count but I've always come back to factory form....many times also. So it kind of count as no tune, out of box. Rest of my other FX guns are slug slingers and not really out of box anymore.

I'm sure I've forgotten a few along the way.

Last edited:
Reactions: Headshots
@qball What do the price tags look like on those? I’ve read some good things about BSAs in our forums and couldn’t figure out why Airguns of Arizona had so many on sale.

Crosman 1720T: Paid $300 used but new are $450
Crosman 1701P: $350 new from Crosman when they had discount
Crosman Challenger: $450 from Crosman, now they are $650-850 and new version is $900 I think, keep in mind my version is limited to 5FPE
BSA Ultra: $450 used and $650 new but good luck finding a new one. CLX is the replacement and no dealer here in the US
AA S200: $450 used and $600 new, can still get them
PP700: $250 from Krale.shop
PP750: $280 from Wes @ airgunarcheryfun.ca
DreamTac-Compact: $1150 from Utah air

Forgot to mention I had 3 AEA guns and they were all around $600-700 bucks. Outside of crappy mags the gun has been surprisingly reliable but I don't shoot them much. Honestly if you want trouble free gun then I wouldn't get AEA, not the semi auto at least.

I sold the BSA Ultra, PP700, PP750 and the challenger, in the end I didn't lose much money for trying them so it's a good way to go. I would stay away from anything from UK because support is basically non-existence and parts have to be bought from UK and that is IF they will ship. A set of O-Rings ended up cost me over 20 bucks with shipping which is terrible and major reason I sold my BSA but still have the S200 collecting dust for some reason. Crosman guns are not powerful but very good out of box without any tuning, in fact the factory tunes are VERY GOOD and should be left alone. The OG Crosman guns are made in US and have excellent support plus super easy to fix. My friend had the AA S510 and I would not recommend them plus they cost 1500 bucks now.

DreamTac-Compact is phenomenal, it can be messed with but in factory form it is superb and extremely reliable(over 5000 pellets easy) even though I molested it more time than I can count. However the price got raised to $1250 now but a used one can be found for under $1000, they are fantastic as long as you don't try to shoot 900 fps. It honestly is one of my all time favorite gun and could not recommend it more if you don't shoot pass 60 yards. Ex-neighborhood squirrels certainly don't love my little silent backyard sniper like I do. LOL

The theme is lower power guns are generally really good out of box and inexpensive. High power especially playing with slugs is cost you plus good amount of work. The exception would be the Dreamline classic @ 1100 bucks will be plenty power with great accuracy out of box and flexibility to play around with down the road, it is best value(accuracy, quality, support, reliability, flexibility) in the 1000 dollar price range by a long shot. Just my 2 pennies.

Last edited:
@BackStop The Nova Freedom that I saw looked similar to a Senaca Aspen. I’d read some good things about it. Would you go that route again despite the rubber breaking down in the pump?
Not a bad price either at around $380 https://www.airgunsofarizona.com/pu...tical-nova-freedom-multi-shot-pcp-airgun-.22/
If I had it to do over again, at that time... I would have gone with the Liberty. The onboard pump was what made me go for the Freedom (I thought I was saving money by not having to buy a hand pump), but that O-sleeve (NOT an O-ring) that disintegrated and clogged up everything downstream made it fail. Also, the poppet was made of too soft material and would fail which made even the Liberty something you had to repair eventually... usually sooner than later. As I have said before, I really don't like to tinker or even work on my airguns. I just want them to work... like a hammer.

The Aspen and the Avenger are built on the same platform (probably made at the same place), but seem to have fixed the poppet issue and many people have good luck with them. I still don't like that the barrel band is secured to the shroud and the pressure tube. IMHO, this will always be a problem for consistent accuracy/precision. A floating barrel/shroud as in the Fortitude seems to be better, IMHO, as changes in the pressure tube (flexing) does not affect the barrel/shroud. I have had some people argue that the Fortitude does not have a floating barrel because it is shrouded, but I disagree. The shroud and barrel are co-dependent so that anything affecting one has an effect on the other as to POI. There are many airguns that use a fixed barrel band connected to the pressure tube that seem to be accurate over a number of shots, but I am not sure how they accomplish that without a floating barrel/shroud,

Oh well, hind sight is 20/20. I will may eventually muster up the courage to fix the .177 Freedoms, but I don't know if I will ever fix the .22 Freedom as it never worked right, nor was it ever accurate. I still have about 3 to 6 thousand .22 CPUM pellets. The .177 Freedoms were sub MOA using .177 CPUMs without shooting many pellets to season the barrel. Boxed and tinned. They really didn't seem to care.

Last edited: