• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Good Out of the Box Shooters (PCPs) - Share Your Experiences

@Gerry52 The aim of the post is to compile information for people interested in shooting airguns who are not into tuning or not really familiar with how airguns operate. It’s more specifically focused on budget minded folks who wish to buy a reliable air gun that they take out of the box, setup, and shoot with consistent accuracy.

My first PCP was like this and I think it contributed to me buying more airguns, several of them used. I could talk about them, but it doesn’t help the guy on a budget that probably won’t find the same gun in the same condition for the price I paid. Still there are guns people mentioned in this thread that are out of the stipulated price range. Those suggestions may help someone else. For instance, I’ve been looking at that Boss/Royale platform for a while because of you. Plus it’s AGN. We tend to go all over the place in each other’s threads. The bottom line is simply to help provide good information.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gerry52
Funny how many mentioned guns way over the Grand mark :rolleyes:
@AirArcher66 I stipulated $1200 for PCP rifles to kinda help account for recent inflation. It seems that $1200 will get you what $1000 used last year. You’re pretty knowledgeable on carbines and Korean made guns, especially ones shooting slugs and arrows. The guns I’ve read you discuss are pretty affordable. The best part is that your hunts prove the versatility and reliability of the guns you use. They also speak to the potential of the guns.

Whomever mentioned the Benjamin Cayden, I’ve been contemplating grabbing one of those in .22 cal. It definitely looks good on paper. I’ve read mixed reviews on DAR rifles. I actually saw a super cheap Gamo Urban that I’d like to try. Looking at the reviews, for $315 can I really go wrong here?https://www.pyramydair.com/product/gamo-urban-pcp-air-rifle?m=4100#7820
There are also a couple of Turkish made Krals I’ve had my eye on. Since they work with Crosman I figure it may be worth a shot. Also with @thammer readily available on AGN to answer questions and sometimes work on guns, it’s a big plus in terms of support. Support and parts availability are very important because all of our guns will need maintenance service at some point. The guns mentioned above are very reasonably priced. Then the Marauder is just a gun I believe that’s hard to go wrong with so long as you avoid the SAM variant (semi-automatic platform).

Last edited:
Weihrauch HW 110 22 cal FAC, out of the box great
I have owned this rifle about 5 years now, purchased new from Krale, it is still at the factory settings.
No leaks, still shoots minute of squirrel noggon at 50 yds. With a 200 bar fill pressure it is hand pumpable, but at 69 yrs of age, to heck with that, I got a Coltri to keep my 6 pcps filled. But my HW110 is the only gun I own, that I have not worked on or adjusted--- no need to ;):):cool:

@AirArcher66 I stipulated $1200 for PCP rifles to kinda help account for recent inflation. It seems that $1200 will get you what $1000 used last year. You’re pretty knowledgeable on carbines and Korean made guns, especially ones shooting slugs and arrows. The guns I’ve read you discuss are pretty affordable. The best part is that your hunts prove the versatility and reliability of the guns you use. They also speak to the potential of the guns.

Whomever mentioned the Benjamin Cayden, I’ve been contemplating grabbing one of those in .22 cal. It definitely looks good on paper. I’ve read mixed reviews on DAR rifles. I actually saw a super cheap Gamo Urban that I’d like to try. Looking at the reviews, for $315 can I really go wrong here?https://www.pyramydair.com/product/gamo-urban-pcp-air-rifle?m=4100#7820
There are also a couple of Turkish made Krals I’ve had my eye on. Since they work with Crosman I figure it may be with a shot. Also with @thammer readily available on AGN to answer question and sometimes work on guns, it’s a big plus in terms of support. Support and parts availability at very important because all of our guns will need maintenance service at some ooont. These guns mentioned above are very reasonably priced. Then the Marauder is just a gun I believe that’s hard to go wrong with so long as you avoid the SAM variant (semi-automatic platform).
Yes Kral is a great line in my opinion in that 400-700 range,......remember that Crosman went to work with Turkish guns because they make better guns then them not the opposite way round ;)

And yes I would buy from Troy before Crosman anyday, you will get a gun that you are sure works perfect from day one and future costumer service would also be superior.

I thing I saw an Urban on Amazon Prime for just over 200 bucks recently.

Yes Kral is a great line in my opinion in that 400-700 range,......remember that Crosman went to work with Turkish guns because they make better guns then them not the opposite way round ;)

And yes I would buy from Troy before Crosman anyday, you will get a gun that you are sure works perfect from day one and future costumer service would also be superior.

I thing I saw an Urban on Amazon Prime for just over 200 bucks recently.

The Krale Empire Xs i believe it is? the non bottle bullpup is looking like a good candidate for my buddy who is wanting to stay under the $700 mark for rifle itself.

I know I'll probably get poop for it but I'm going to say the first 357 challenger that aea came out with.. it didn't shoot pellets well but she is a tack driver with slugs. Iv had the gun since it came out switch has been over a year and have had zero issues. That can't be said about a lot of aea guns but I think there challenger line is a built like a tank..🤷. All I've done to this gun is cut the shroud down and a de-pinger.. shes dropped quite a few deer lol
FB_IMG_1660155543116.jpg

The Taipan veteran hands down,

Its a PCP that is good right out of the box. Will shoot a multitude of pellets well. Reliable. And Boring. By boring I mean reliable, and by reliable I mean boring. It will literally do the same thing every single time you pull it out of whatever it is its stored in whether it be the box from new, the gun case, whatever, they just work.
I have to agree completely. Just air it up and shoot. Tomorrow next week, next month etc. it will have the same POI. Hard to beat at aprx.$1000- $1200 used.

Last edited:
Weihrauch HW 110 22 cal FAC, out of the box great
I have owned this rifle about 5 years now, purchased new from Krale, it is still at the factory settings.
No leaks, still shoots minute of squirrel noggon at 50 yds. With a 200 bar fill pressure it is hand pumpable, but at 69 yrs of age, to heck with that, I got a Coltri to keep my 6 pcps filled. But my HW110 is the only gun I own, that I have not worked on or adjusted--- no need to ;):):cool:
@jarmstrong I looked this one up and found the HW100 which also looks great and Weihrach has a great reputation. I’ve read favorable reviews. With a coupon code or holiday sale the HW100 seems to fit the bill as well. Regularly priced $1499.99. https://www.pyramydair.com/product/hw-100-tk-pcp-air-rifle-walnut-thumbhole?m=2263#4539

A 20% off sale or coupon code will take it down to $1200 before taxes. Anyone have any experience with this model out of the box?

Agreed. Air rifles, today, should be accurate and reliable when we receive them from the manufacturer.

Two that have been like that, for me, are the Daystate RedWolf (the first one, in .22) and the Daystate Huntsman Revere-R (in 177)

I have absolutely no desire to "fix" something that was broken before I bought it; especially at the price air rifles are going for, today.

If enough air-gunners demanded the same, we would see the end of the unreliable "cr@p" being sold on the market.

Reactions: rigbymauser
@jarmstrong I looked this one up and found the HW100 which also looks great and Weihrach has a great reputation. I’ve read favorable reviews. With a coupon code or holiday sale the HW100 seems to fit the bill as well. Regularly priced $1499.99. https://www.pyramydair.com/product/hw-100-tk-pcp-air-rifle-walnut-thumbhole?m=2263#4539

A 20% off sale or coupon code will take it down to $1200 before taxes. Anyone have any experience with this model out of the box?

Many of the HW100 are $1200 at AoA without a coupon requirement.

Reactions: Ezana4CE
Ezana4ce - I have a hw100 and recommended it in an earlier post. Also have a Daystate Huntsman Regal XL. Both PCPs shoot great out of the box with no need to tune them to get good, consistent performance over the long term. The new Daystate Huntsman Revere exceeds your $1200 limit so I didn't list it. I have a few over $1000 PCPs and I am the most impressed with the value/performance/quality of the hw100. Like the Daystate, the hw100 has a reputation for maintaining its performance over the years. The only issue I have with it is the weight. But at 75 years old I tend to have that issue with almost all PCPs!

Link to AoA hw100/hw110 listings - https://www.airgunsofarizona.com/precharged-pcp/?filters[7]=19#panel-catalog-products-filters

I just took shipment (a few hours ago) of a Daystate Revere exactly because it has this very reputation. And with the email special sale price I was offered, it meets the criteria stipulated. I have yet to shoot it, so technically, it's not on my list (yet)
I mention it only because it has exactly this reputation of never needing any kind of tweeking. It's a shoot it as is out of the box.

I do however have some others that i can attest to right now were excellent out of the box, albeit all of them also have a reputation of being made better with some tuning.

- Benjamin Kratos. I've done nothing to mine other than swap to a slightly larger, slightly lighter CF bottle. It's superb.
- Kral Puncher Pro 500. I understand that spring and valve work will make these better, but I'm really enjoying this one as is.
- Benjamin Akela. Just like the Kratos, it just shoots great.

Before I got my first PCP, I read a lot, and buy the time that Kratos arrived I had amassed JSB, H&N, etc. you name it. Funny thing is all three of the rifles listed above are doing fantastic with Crosman 14.3 .22 Walmart specials. So well in fact I've yet to open any of the others with the exception of JSB Hades which at the power setting i was at, the Kratos really disliked.

So many good options, and now we have even more affordable regulated rifles available. Shooting out of the box is very accessible right now.