• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Good Ole China

I dont have any experience with the .5L bottles, but I have purchased a new 9L bottle. Im no expert by any means but I dont see a difference between that chinese bottle and the 60 min fireman bottle as far as function goes. Longevity may be different but I dont know. Im assuming they are good to go as there are only a few places in the world that makes these tanks and sell to others and they put their labels on them. At least thats the conclusion i came to after doing my research.

Reactions: MysticalDragon
When it comes to online stores that sell from china I never buy anything where a point of failure could lead to grave bodily injury.
So no toys for children (they love lead paint) and no parts for airguns that will experience high pressure.
I'm sure most airgun manufacturers order these parts from china but the difference is that that's from vetted (hopefully) manufacturers.
When it comes to the thousands of random sellers that sell air bottles you have no way of knowing where they have sourced them. They might have the labels of a proper brand but a laser engraver is very cheap or they could have been looting a factory garbage bin where product that doesn't meet standards are thrown for recycling.

I have seen some great prices for airbottles on ebay, aliexpress and other sites. Question is if the savings from one of these is worth strapping that 4500psi grenade to your airgun?

I'm on the side of erring in the direction of caution. When it comes to filter housings, you can see the wall thickness and, like the one I bought, it's pretty thick, and I can't imagine it failing. Anything under 2" in diameter is likely not too much of a problems with thick walls.
Now, other than that one item, when it comes to HPA and CF bottles, I'll buy from a US seller with a reputable name on the bottle. Really, it's cheap insurance and piece of mind.

Ok, I took the suggestion, and tried it with a very small filter housing, and it didn't do a whole lot to buffer the gauge. BUT, when I tried the large filter housing, it worked like a charm, the gauge remains perfectly solid. I didn't think to try the flow meter just yet, but I'll give that a try later. For now, I'm good to go. There will be a slight bit of increase in N2 use, but at 5 psi, I can't imagine I'd notice it.
Here's a pic of the current setup.
IMG_7418.JPG

Reactions: rcs9250
Ok, I took the suggestion, and tried it with a very small filter housing, and it didn't do a whole lot to buffer the gauge. BUT, when I tried the large filter housing, it worked like a charm, the gauge remains perfectly solid. I didn't think to try the flow meter just yet, but I'll give that a try later. For now, I'm good to go. There will be a slight bit of increase in N2 use, but at 5 psi, I can't imagine I'd notice it.
Here's a pic of the current setup.
View attachment 402319
What compressor is that?

My Scott airtank was made in the USA. Doesn't prove it is superior to SCBA tanks made in China but I would rather use an expired Scott than a new tank made in China. I use a Chinese compressor and 4 of my 5 PCPs were made in China but my fill set and SCBA tank were not. I tried a Chinese fill set and it was junk - leaked terribly. A lot of things made in China are fine and very good buys. But I am convinced their fill sets are not fine and I am not confident in their SCBA tanks. I have no hard data. But I do think that tanks that go with fire fighters into burning buildings have to be built well.

I spend zero time worrying about SCBA tanks exploding regardless of where they are made. I know there are youtubes out there with exploded tanks but you have to dig to find out they intentionally damaged the tanks and then grossly over filled it. It is not valid data for determining what tank to buy. I am confident that the far more likely failure mode is a leak that would be difficult to find but would result in the loss of tank pressure fairly quickly. So you would know. The best experience data I know of is in a report done for the Navy. Out of tens of thousands of tanks no explosions, only slow leaks and those were in the threads apparently damaged during a hydro test.