Good match for Taipan Veteran: rabbits, teaching kids, walking woods ~$650

I like Athlon scopes because the warranty is as good as it gets and you get a lot of scope for your money. I have a 6-24x50 Argos BTR Gen2 that I really like and they can be easily found for under $400 to your door. The Midas Tac has better glass but the reticle isn’t illuminated like on the Argos. Amazon currently has the Midas Tac priced at $490.95 which is a good price on that scope. These are both First Focal Plane scopes and I prefer them over Second Focal Plane, but everyone has a different preference here. The Athlon scopes I mentioned aren’t small and are heavy but built like a tank so keep that in mind if you’re looking for something lighter. 

I would not have any reservation buying a Athlon scope . I use one on my air rifle and on my bench rest Anschutz rifle .

True story : i bought a broken Athlon at a gun show , the turrets did not work , $30 for a spotting scope was a good price .

i did not know anything about Athlon scopes . i used it as a spotting scope until a friend told me about the guarantee . "no receipt no anything , any thing but abuse. . So i sent it in for repair. 

6 days later i had a new $500 scope . I actually felt guilty .

I like Athlon scopes because the warranty is as good as it gets and you get a lot of scope for your money. I have a 6-24x50 Argos BTR Gen2 that I really like and they can be easily found for under $400 to your door. The Midas Tac has better glass but the reticle isn’t illuminated like on the Argos. Amazon currently has the Midas Tac priced at $490.95 which is a good price on that scope. These are both First Focal Plane scopes and I prefer them over Second Focal Plane, but everyone has a different preference here. The Athlon scopes I mentioned aren’t small and are heavy but built like a tank so keep that in mind if you’re looking for something lighter.

Do you have a link to the $490 Midas Tac? Can seem to find it myself.

If you want to appreciate quality then perhaps a Japan made scope with German Scott glass might make you happier and appreciate a scope that punches way above its price point. You are likely going to want to compare it to a Zeiss or Night Force or upper end Leupold to get to know it's true value.

Have a Military or Law Enforcement relative or buddy order ot for you if you want to save 15% off.

https://tractoptics.com/riflescopes/tekoa-hd-4-16x44-bdc

Reason for suggesting a Japan made 4-16x44 with 15 yard minimum side focus and 1 inch tube? This kit includes sun shade and zero stop.

You hunting rabbits so magnification under 5x you preferably 3x or 4x to start won't lose or have difficulty acquiring your rabbit targets in the field.

Not sure how easy for kids to acquire targets starting above 5x so lower may be better.

Second focal plane because you don't want the center of the reticle to disappear at lower magnification during hunting situations as first focal plane scopes tend to do.

Ballistic hold over reticle to get to know your gun well and see what the reticle substensions become with at various distances at multiple power levels.

1 inch tube to lower the weight since you want your kids to learn to shoot it and hunt don't make it too heavy I would have suggested a Leupold Freedom EFR for light weight but it's only a 3-9x and not enough for 100 yard target shooting.

Japan made scope with German Scott glass zero stop and sun shade for under $700 and with a 15% off option as mentioned earlier. 

If you don't like made in JAPAN stuff then this European company made scopes for Zeiss in the past.

The only negative is no zero stop but the glass is superb punches way above its price point. SFP with a BDC reticle for hinting hold over 1 inch tube keeps the weight down another 4x start magnification this one goes down to 10 yards. Compare it to Zeiss V4 series at a much affordable price.

It's 16% off with promo code at check out.

https://www.sportoptics.com/meopta-optika5-4-20-44-1032577.html

If you don't like side focus and prefer old school JAPAN made front AO with 10 yard focus that is exceptionally bright and clear with excellent tracking but no zero stop for an un believeable price.

5-15x40 AO mil dot. Made in Japan. This is a scope of you probably never heard of. It's the final iteration of the Bushnell Elite 3200 Tactical.

.https://www.ebay.com/itm/174632875405?

If you prefer Chinese made then choose an Athlon with under 5x magnification with 1 inch tube to save weight with second focal plane and zero stop. Unfortunately there is no great discount for Athlon brand at this time and DVOR sale had ended on their Athlon brand scopes only the Midas and above have HD glass but they are heavy due to their 30mm tubes. Camera Land NY sale till Feb 22 small discounts only.

Athlon warranty is known to be fantastic just like Vortex but you can take that either way positive or negative.

If the Midas Tac came with a 1 inch tube and SFP reticle it would be perfect for your needs.

You have a Taipan Veteran it deserves way better than average quality optics.

I would have recommended trying the Hawke Frontier 1 inch tube SFP due to its light werght but had multiple warranty issues with that brand.

Runner up Japan made SFP mil dot 25 yard minimum side focus selling for atleast $120 less than every place else. No zero stop. Same factory in Japan who made reliable Weaver and Bushnells. Message him you might get it for cheaper if you do.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/265351406090

Can your kids actually shoulder the Veteran as is with no scope on it?

If the scope is too heavy over 20 oz added weight it's probably not going to be fun to carry around hunting with all day.

If not then I'd consider buying this for them. It's negotiable additional $50 off with the seller. Weighs only 5.5 pounds $350 German made bull pup 22 caliber regular $599 to $699.

Oh never mind it's already ended and must have sold them all.

There's the Benjamin Fortitude Gen 2 only just over 5 pounds needs a Baker trigger upgrade several places to price shop Air Gun depot or Pyramid Air or Sportsmans guide. Which ever gets you the best price including shipping to your door and dont fkrget to use discount codes. Best in 177.

Last time I saw then at Sportsmans guide for only $159 few months ago now it's $100 more.

Add a light weight scope 20 oz or under then all set. With this light weight gun you can afford to use the heavier 30 mm Chinese scopes go SFP for hunting reasons stay under 5x minimum. Teach them cock it all the way back or else it might double load.

P Rod from PA with 10% discount code and the $50 AR stock from Buck Rail added on would be very light too.

Reactions: PG