Good day for mongoose

Dingfelder How many have you seen in Oregon?

I was speaking of coyotes there -- I have never seen one. But we have packs of them come out at night quite close to us. They run through a gully just up the hill from my mother's house so are shielded from view; never come closer, maybe because she had four dogs. But from the number of crazy howls, there must be a sizeable pack. And I am staying at a neighbor's house where they get really close too, from the sound of it. 

If you are thinking I meant mongoose, I've only ever seen one.

Aloha,

Good shooting, nasty little buggers. We have them running all over here, I take them out and will be good for a couple of months, then they start to appear again. Them most I shot is 23 in 1 day, I use canned tuna for bait.

Aloha, 

Keone

What caliber are you using? I'm thinking of going to a .177 because it is so quiet. .177 at 14fpe for head shots on mongoose, what do you think?

Mahalo,

Ross

Aloha Ross,

I use .22 and .25, you can use .177 but will be limited to the distance. My 10 year old son shoots my Edgun Leshiy .177 but is limited to under 20 yards, head shots drops them right there but a body shot will require follow up shot. As for the loudness of my guns, the Edgun .177 and Taipan .22 with a sumo are about the same loudness. My Brocock .25 with a Hugget snipe is much quieter.

Aloha, 

Keone

The Mongoose that I have seen are in Hawaii and I didn't know there were ticks there. I know Possum eat ticks. The Mongoose are hell on wheels on birds and eggs.

Oh yeah, I lived there for years. There are definitely ticks. Though fleas were the bigger problem. But ticks are awful and worth hating wherever you find them.

And I went back and edited my original reply -- you're right, it's possums I was thinking of, not mongoose! D'oh! Thanks for the heads up.