• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Good all round scope for an FX Super Swift/Cutlass .22 for PCP newbie

I am getting this .22 rifle soon(my first PCP!) and I still can't make up my mind on a scope. It's a used rifle on AoA and seems to be a good deal. It will be for "pesting",a little hunting , plinking and occasional range time. A lot of the pesting will be at night(I have a rail mounted gun light already) though. I'll be going for a range of animals from rats to raccoon sized pests probably 10-30yards(perhaps more if I become a better shot!). I am thinking 4-12 mag but not sure otherwise. I have a Hawke Sport HD 3-9x 40 on a HW95 and I think it works great. I have been recommended a Vortex Crossfire II and the Hawke Sport HD 4-12 x 50 IR. I would appreciate your feedback and recommendations. 
cheers,

david 

"pheelgood"For Night Vision stuff I'd recommend "Sightmark Photon XT 4.6x42S Digital Night Vision Riflescope"
It also works for day. I find it holds zero really well and is extremely light. The built in illumination is good for up to 100 yards so most pest needs are already there.
If you go beyond 100 yards, I'd recommend reading my review.

Mike
Hey Pheelgood. Thanks for this tip. Been looking for a NV scope for some night time ratting at 30 yards. This is perfectly in my price range. Everything else seems super expensive. Is the clarity good enough for spotting rats at 30-50 yards ? 

"AirNica"Thanks for all the responses. The one issue I can see with a NV scope is getting it to this country. Legality could be an issue here(which reminds me I need to research this!). Otherwise, is there such a noticable difference going from the sub 200usd range to a scope over 400usd for a pcp?
cheers,

david
Here is my take on this. You can make one from scratch using a CCTV camera, 5" monitor a battery etc.. there are kits available online. I would avoid any GEN 1 nightscopes, I can tell you from experience you will not be happy and your rifle will be top heavy. The difference between 200 vs 400 is night and day (forgive the pun).

Take a look at Rolands youtube channel here to learn more about different NV kits etc.. 
Check ebay for deals on those 400 scopes.. 

Pheel

Thanks for the info, Pheel. I'm beginning to lean towards a Hawke Sidewinder(3-12x 50 30 series or 4.5-14x42 tactical). Any other comparably good scopes I should look at? 
Enjoyed the diy nightvision vids. I notice though that a Nitesite Viper isn't a great deal more. For now though I think I will stick to the lamp with red filter that I have now. See how that goes..... further down the road I might start playing with NV. 

david