• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Tuning Good Accuracy/Bad Std dev./Spread

Had the gun out for some shooting/tuning. Accuracy was dead on, even in wind. Consistently hit the squirrel target wherever i wanted. Shot string numbers however were not amazing compared to what i see in the interweb.

Screenshot_20220112-152950_FX Radar.1642020444.jpg

Is that a sign of further tuning needed? or a problem with the gun? I haven't changed anything but the hammer wheel adjuster and that by only one click.

20220112_145806.1642020481.jpg

45y 5 shot groups.

Hard to be disappointed at those groups though. 12mph wind quartering from behind.

20220112_150854.1642020622.jpg

Killed my first squirrel. Cant say i recommend the Walmart re settable targets. lol

Gun is a M3 compact. I want to tune it for slugs but dont know if id have enough power to get em going as the power wheel is maxed.

I have yet to play with regs. 2nd reg is set rnd 100. I need to get some allen keys before i start mucking around with the regs.

Any rate if there's nothing wrong with the gun, no reason to not go squirrel hunting as is with the 18.2 gr jsbs?

YES THATS TERRIBLE SORRY TO SAY SHOULD BE SINGLE DIGITS FOR M3 REGS TO HIGH IN THE REAR 80 BAR OR SO . LOTTA TUNES OUT THERE FOR THAT GUN TRY SHOOT FOR 900 FPS SEE HOW THAT DOES

Go dwn to 80 bar? I have seen several tunes and tuning guides. There is a split. factory specs go low reg and high hammer. A lot of fx gurus however go high reg mid hammer. over simplification for sure.

i am averaging 880 on power wheel 16. but only 18 gr projectiles. And with equally bad ext.spread and stn dev. if i lower the reg my power will lessen? Unless they passed the apex on the hammer that starts a decline?

I fear i will have to do a complete reset to be where i want, Ill have to start at power wheel 1 and work it up.

I was hoping to push 24 to 27 gr slugs into the 50 fpe realm?

WHATS VALVE SET AT SHOULD BE FASTER AND MORE OF THE SAME NUMBERS HOPE ITS GETTING BETTER

Valve looks to be bout 4 or 4 in a lil more.

I just hope there is nothing internal going on. I shot a tin before i crony ed it. Now when i fill it it goes to 200bar and stops. i have to unhook and reattach and it finishes to 250bar. slower than before tho.

The compressor will go straight to 250bar like normal with the cap on the whip.

Probably going to take the 18 jsbs hunting as is and when i get the time do a reset on the regs after.

I have a heavy liner coming tho. might just wait for that to do the reset.

Thanks for your input by the way!

If those are your typical 5 shot groups at 45 yards, I suggest not to change anything - those groups are really nice. Guns with lots of adjustments wind up being favored by those who like to tinker…and measure… and adjust…and measure some more. They become consumed with measuring a “perfect shot string” and may lose sight of the objective of placing lead accurately on target. Hajimoto posted a video a year or so back where he was shooting at 50 yards, and a 25fps velocity spread had a negligible effect on PoI. Trying to tune to a 5fps spread may or may not achieve better accuracy results. Not to mention…just how accurate are the measuring devices, lol. If that was my rifle shooting that well, I’d move the target out to 60 yards - and not touch a single setting- just shoot.

If those are your typical 5 shot groups at 45 yards, I suggest not to change anything - those groups are really nice. Guns with lots of adjustments wind up being favored by those who like to tinker…and measure… and adjust…and measure some more. They become consumed with measuring a “perfect shot string” and may lose sight of the objective of placing lead accurately on target. Hajimoto posted a video a year or so back where he was shooting at 50 yards, and a 25fps velocity spread had a negligible effect on PoI. Trying to tune to a 5fps spread may or may not achieve better accuracy results. Not to mention…just how accurate are the measuring devices, lol. If that was my rifle shooting that well, I’d move the target out to 60 yards - and not touch a single setting- just shoot.

Thanks for the encouragement.

Going to kill some squirrels this weekend as it is.

The squirrel target was just under 60. it was over to my left. the paper target was to my right. same day/time just different angles. 4 moa hold on the squirrel and just half inch drift on the paper target. I was practicing my windage with the squirrel, poor thing...lol

I will have/have 5 different slugs to try out. Along with the heavy liner. So i will have some tweaking to do.

Having a blast right now, hitting everything i aim at in the backyard! :)

31 FPE is plenty of juice for squirrels. I would not change a thing. Just go huntin'

Roger That. will do.

Just worried about future setups and tunes.

The whole reason to get the m3 was the ability to change calibers and tune for specific projectiles. If i just wanted to shot 18 gr jsb id got a cheaper gun...lol

I think i can do better tune wise and definitely want to get some slugs slinging...but for now just having fun!

If you drop your reg pressure to 80 bar valve will open easier and have more dwell which can give you same speed other school of thought is shorter burst of high pressure air to give you your speed higher pressure speeds the pellet / slug up faster before it exits the barrel you want the valve closed low pressure leaves the valve open longer I like the shorter high pressure burst of air better my self 

If you drop your reg pressure to 80 bar valve will open easier and have more dwell which can give you same speed other school of thought is shorter burst of high pressure air to give you your speed higher pressure speeds the pellet / slug up faster before it exits the barrel you want the valve closed low pressure leaves the valve open longer I like the shorter high pressure burst of air better my self

Going to drop the 2nd reg tomorrow just to see what happens. I have to get the proper allen key first. also going to run through the hammer spring from setting 1 on up with current settings to see if im past the sweet spot.

I was under the impression from my research that for my shorter barrel i should go with a high pressure short burst. I haven't really done much tuning as of yet. its still as it came from utah air.

I think your reg two low for a compact. My m2 getting 52 fpe without slug kit.redesign are Accurate at 50fpe my heavy liner likes knockouts.too 

I hope thats what it is as id like to shoot slugs.

I ran some 24.8 nsa today. 700fps at current tune. grouped as good as the pellets. the slugs blew through an old barrel where the pellets didnt even at over 150fps faster.

I have a heavy liner coming. Does the heavy liner still shoot the lighter pellets ok?

Going to drop the 2nd reg tomorrow just to see what happens. I have to get the proper allen key first. also going to run through the hammer spring from setting 1 on up with current settings to see if im past the sweet spot.

I was under the impression from my research that for my shorter barrel i should go with a high pressure short burst. I haven't really done much tuning as of yet. its still as it came from utah air.

Your thoughts are close to where they need to be, please do what you are thinking process wise before you change the reg! 
That will be good for you to know, and I mean adjust the hammer all the way down and work up slowly, your higher reg mentality is absolutely true on the shorter barreled Fx guns! Max hammer and low pressure is the polar opposite of harmony, just think about it🤔 good luck

Reactions: WVHillBilly76
I think u need to stretch it out…hard to make a call with that group. Unless you are’t planning on shooting past 50y

You can’t really take other ppl setting and believe that they will do the same thing In your gun. Doesn’t work. No two gun are identical. 

I personally wouldn’t adjust the reg till I know what max fps is at said reg pressure. Here are the steps I would take.
Open valve.
Increase HS till fps no longer goes up.
Adjust reg till you 5-7% higher than your desired speed. Back of hammer will your just a couple fps faster than you desired speed.

close valve till you hit desired speed, this takes really really fine adjustments. 

I think u need to stretch it out…hard to make a call with that group. Unless you are’t planning on shooting past 50y

You can’t really take other ppl setting and believe that they will do the same thing In your gun. Doesn’t work. No two gun are identical. 

I personally wouldn’t adjust the reg till I know what max fps is at said reg pressure. Here are the steps I would take.
Open valve.
Increase HS till fps no longer goes up.
Adjust reg till you 5-7% higher than your desired speed. Back of hammer will your just a couple fps faster than you desired speed.

close valve till you hit desired speed, this takes really really fine adjustments.

while I haven't shot groups at 100y i have shot out to 120y. Things were repeatable and predictable enough that i wouldn't hesitate to take a shot on small game at those distances.I do however have plans to further dial in at 100y. Just need some time to do it. my back yard is 60y max.

I am going to run through my hs adjustments at current reg before i go mucking about the settings. It came from Utah Air on power wheel setting 16. So i plan on dialing to 1 and running it on the crony setting by setting to see if there is a sweet spot before max.

My valve is on 4th line. Id have to back my shroud out before i can get it to open any more as it leaves no room. Probably going to try and adjust in from where its at if i find a power wheel setting that ups my fps from where im at.

I dont really need more fps for the jsbs but would like to find a more efficient tune. I will need more power for slugs once i get the heavy liner however. Thats probably when i go on a deep dive with the settings.

from my research there is definitely more than one way to skin this cat.

My understanding is the tunes people share are to get you in the ball park. Then its up to you to make adjustments. The problem is. There is way less compact tunes. Everyone on the interweb has a 700mm barrel it seems...lol

Air Tac did a couple interesting vids with the compact. shared his tunes too.

Any Rate. I'm having fun and going out and droping some tree rats this weekend! :)