Gonna spring for a springer exclusively for rabbits and Pheasants .177 or.22 ?

Hi Folks,

I am new to AG hunting and I have decided to buy either an Air Arms TX200 HC or a HW97 KT. What I have yet to decide is whether to go for .177 or .22. I don't have a FAC, I am limited to the typical 12ft/lbs, I am wondering if .177 is good enough for cleanly killing rabbits? I would of course, only do head shots on both rabbits/Pheasants, so 177 would be fine for the latter, not 100% sure about rabbits. I have seen video of shooters dropping rabbits at 40/50 years with .177, still it would be good to hear from members who shoot regularly at this end of the power scale. I don't want PCP, because I will be going to very remote locations and I don't want anything to drag along. I am happy with single shot under lever or even BB if I decided on a different rifle. I am swaying towards the AA TX200, nothing between it and the HW97, just kinda prefer the TX finish. 

Any pointers if I can get away with smaller .177 but flatter over distance or I need the extra stopping power of .22?

Best to all

PC

With the 12 fpe restriction, I would opt for the .177 caliber. 

.177 caliber pushing JSB 8.44gr. pellet at 800 fps (12 fpe) has a flatter trajectory than .22 cal pushing JSB 14.89gr. pellet at 602 fps. For me, that would mean greater accuracy for the .177.

Also, the .177 at higher velocity (800 fps) has greater ballistic coefficient than the slower .22 cal . (602 fps).

So I would normally say .22 because you will get better range and knock down power. The problem is that one of the guns you mention is NOT under 12fp. The Air Arms TX200 HC is rated 14 for .177, and 17 for the .22.

The HW97 KT is rated right at 12fp so that is kind of the only option of the 2 you mentioned. And actually you may need to check, because it actually gives 12-13fp.

thanks thumper.

When you say "It will have a nicer shot cycle" what exactly do you mean? speed of Cock/load cycle? Solid Locking under lever on the HW? The TX200 has a similar locking lever? I am not sure what you mean. Please forgive, because I am new to AG hunting/shooting, I have a lot to learn.

So far my research suggests that there is very little between the TX200 and HW97 in terms of shooting accuracy and form, so it's very interesting to hear that you think the HW97 is the better gun sub 12. 

Good to hear that the faster traveling .177 will do the hunting job sub/12.

thanks thumper.

When you say "It will have a nicer shot cycle" what exactly do you mean? speed of Cock/load cycle? Solid Locking under lever on the HW? The TX200 has a similar locking lever? I am not sure what you mean. Please forgive, because I am new to AG hunting/shooting, I have a lot to learn.

So far my research suggests that there is very little between the TX200 and HW97 in terms of shooting accuracy and form, so it's very interesting to hear that you think the HW97 is the better gun sub 12. 

Good to hear that the faster traveling .177 will do the hunting job sub/12.

The TX200 has a longer piston stroke than the HW77/97. And at lower power levels, the shot cycle will feel sluggish and lumpy because of it. Still accurate due to the mass of the gun, but not as nice and crisp and quick as the HW97. Had both, tuned both, and the 77/97 is nicer to shoot at sub12. 

The 77/97 has a solid mechanical latch to keep the underlever closed. The underlever won't release until you push the button on the end to release it. 

The TX on the other hand, has a spring loaded ball that keeps the lever closed, and relies on tension from the breech seals and cocking linkage to keep it "right". So it could pop open with a bump with a sling fitted. 

There are a lots and lots of reasons that I think the 77/97 is a better gun all around, and just two of many reasons that I never kept any of my TXs.

MY understanding is the TX200 has a sliding part that reduces recoil . I do have a HW97k and had it tuned to 11,6 fpe and smoothed out as much as possible, , still it has a jump to it .

The TX200 has nothing involved anywhere to reduce recoil.

The TX200SR "semi recoilless" had a quirky sliding sled system to help reduce recoil. But they weren't very popular or made very long. 

Welcome to the site Posse ! Based on your power restrictions I'd go .177cal as well ! Either of those rifles will do just fine. For rabbits you might want to keep your shots under 50 meters. Personally, 30-40 meters would be my max. I wouldn't hesitate a longer shot on a pheasants control tower with a scoped rifle. You either miss or enjoy a roast pheasant meal.

I have a different suggestion, a hunting air rifle needs to be light enough to carry all day long in the woods, it needs to be easy to cock, have a great trigger, and be minute of dime accurate at 25 yds., it should be compact, and comfortable to mount and shoot accurately, given your air gun power restrictions the hunting air rifle should have sufficient penetration with 7.5 gr. .177 cal. pellets to reach the vitals or pass through the skulls of rabbits, squirrels, or pheasants, the HW-30/Beeman R-7 springer checks all of those boxes, it's light, easy to carry, has a cocking force of 15 pounds, is deadly accurate out to 40 yds., is quiet, has almost no recoil, has the best trigger that can be found in a break barrel air rifle anywhere, it's compact, and it will drive a mid to heavier weight lead pellet about five inches into a block of Ballistic Gel.

I have a vintage Sheridan Blue Streak .20 cal. Pneumatic pumper, those guns were designed specifally as adult small game air rifles, they shoot at about 650 fps with 11.0 gr. pellets for about just under 12 FPE, they weigh about six pounds, are about 36" long, extremely accurate and quiet shooting, todays HW-30/R-7 springers are almost similar enough in size, accuracy, and power that they could be twins, with the R-7 having a slight edge in accuracy and ease of loading.

Homer, good point and I agree that the HW 97 or TX would be fatiguing to carry very far.

But, I'd respectfully suggest you are over-estimating the R7 / HW 30's power - it's nowhere near a 12 FPE rifle. The HW 50 (HW 99 in the UK), bigger/heavier than the R7 but still much more svelte than those two hefty underlevers, would fit very nicely in your Sheridan comparison though.

Homer, good point and I agree that the HW 97 or TX would be fatiguing to carry very far.

But, I'd respectfully suggest you are over-estimating the R7 / HW 30's power - it's nowhere near a 12 FPE rifle. The HW 50 (HW 99 in the UK), bigger/heavier than the R7 but still much more svelte than those two hefty underlevers, would fit very nicely in your Sheridan comparison though.

The HW50 is the Goldie Locks of the Weihrauch line. As light as the HW30 but at 12 fpe. Cocking is heavier of course but still very manageable. I would much rather carry the HW50 than a heavy under lever through the woods.

My scoped HW95L .22 weighs 9lb 3oz. Accurate and easy to cock for this 83 year old redneck.

Full HW95L Photo.1647819932.jpg