• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!
  • The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Golf Ball at 300 Meters with Hatsan AT-44 in 177 Cal

Last October I posted about my adventures in hitting a golf ball at 200 meters. I had just started using NSA 12.5 gn slugs as a replacement for H&N Piledrivers in 177 cal. I was really excited at the time but I wanted to see how far I could push things. My new goal became to hit a golf ball at 300 meters. The range I shoot at is set up for silhouette competitions so the lines are set up in meters (200, 300, 385 and 500).

It was a pretty easy jump to go from 200 to 250 meters. I set up a target in between to 200 and 300 by pacing it off to make sure I was an equal distance from both lines so it was probably 250 +/- 2 meters. I was able to get onto a 6 inch round plate in about 5 shots. This is where a ballistics calculator comes in handy. I had the gun zeroed for 200 meters and that pretty much maxed out all of the elevation I had but my reticle is set up for range finding so holdover is not a big deal. This was at the end of the day in late October so I figured I would make hitting a golf ball at 300 meters my goal for 2021.

The spring was not very cooperative around here as the wind always seemed to be up whenever I had free time. Finally at the end of May I caught a break and there was a relatively calm(ish) day with ~ 5mph winds. I figured as long as the wind was somewhat consistent I could at least have a go at 300. I set up 4 targets at 300. A 12x12 square steel plate, a 6 inch round steel plate, a 2 ½ X 5 inch mini torso, and a golf ball.

It took me some time to get things figured out. My scope is 6-24x and at 24x there simply wasn’t enough field of view to provide me with the necessary hold over. I moved the magnification down to 6X and was finally able to have enough FOV. With a 200 meter zero, the calculator said I needed approximately 14 feet of holdover at 300 meters. The wind was mostly a head wind so my holdover that day was approximately 17 ft by my estimation.

After getting the holdover figured out I was able to finally get on the 12x12 plate. After getting many hits on that, I moved on to the six inch round, then the mini torso. All of those went fairly well. I then took a stab at the golf ball. I kept missing by what looked like less than an inch. The splashes were all around it and I was getting very frustrated. After about 30-40 tries I gave up. The wind was simply not cooperating. A 1 MPH crosswind will move the slug 7 inches at 300 meters according to my calculator so any variation in the wind basically means a miss.

I was able to get back to the range just a few days later and armed with good ballistics information I set out a 6 inch round and a golf ball at 300 meters. This time getting on target was a much easier process. It took me about 3-4 shots to get onto the 6 inch plate. The golf ball however was not so cooperative. After about 20-30 shots I finally made contact. The only issue was that I could not say with 100% certainty that I hit the golf ball or I knocked it off the tee with the sand splash. I’m pretty sure I hit it, but I’m the type that has to have definitive evidence or I don’t count it.

I came back one more time on 6/20 and finally I got what I was looking for. I set out a brand new golf ball so that I could clearly see the mark and everything cooperated that day. I had light and consistent winds and scored a very solid hit. The golf ball has a very clear mark on it. It’s actually pretty cool, the mark is cog shaped so you can see how the slug started to petal out.

I took a picture of both the golf ball close up and of the area where the tee was set up. You can see a distinct trail where the golf ball flew off the tee, landed, and then rolled down the berm.

Here is a picture of the golf ball. Note the cog shape of the mark. I thought that was pretty cool.

Ball.1624462483.JPG

Your point is well taken, however at 300 meters, 70% of the energy has ben expended. There is zero chance of it coming back to me even assuming a 100% redirection of the remaining energy. There is nothing around for 100s of yards in any direction so there is zero chance of a ricochet hitting anyone else. I am speaking strictly to my situation of using a 12.5 gn slug with a muzzle velocity of 892 FPS shooting at a golf ball on a tee at 300 meters.at a specific gun range. 

No guts no glory, you succeeded!

I was shooting slugs yesterday out of my Uragan King 25 and hit our 191Y 5" steel many times in somewhat windy conditions then went for the 250Y 4"popper and hit it on the first try. This was the first time I've tried slugs that far so I thought it was pretty neat. 

Huge difference between slugs and pellets at those distances!

Amazing !!!!

I own a Hatsan AT-44 .177 with three extra air cylinders and all regulated. That is the most un-pellet picky air rifle I own !!! It will shoot ANYTHING perfectly. I love it. I have the Hawk Airmax 30 6-24x50 scope on it, too. Well, I did, until I put that scope on my Hatsan NeutronStar, but I might change it back because the AT-44 is a better rifle. Well, more accurate. The NeutronStar is the prettiest rifle I own (Can I call a rifle pretty ?) 

Anyway, I've never shot past 25 yards, so 300 meters is unimaginable to me. 20-30 tries sounds realistic and it's nice to hear the reality of it. I'm sure so many people exaggerate like the fish that got away, etc. It takes me a while to zero in my rifle, so I'm glad to hear I'm normal.