Gold Filter For Yong Heng

Opening the moisture bleed valves on a compressor more frequently than every 10 minutes is overkill and results in the compressor running much longer than necessary without benefit. The compressor must repressurize each time the bleed valve is opened. A quick one or two second blast every 10 minutes from the bleed valves is all that is needed. If you have an aftermaket large gold water separator tower like the one shown in this thread then you only need to drain the valve on it once every 15-20 minutes. The moisture holding capacity of these water separators is HUGE.

Another unnecessary practice is changing compressor oil every 5 hours or less. After an initial oil change to remove metal shavings, etc. it's only necessary to change the oil in a small compressor every 10-20 hours or annually, whichever is less. A commercial grade dive compressor only requires annual oil changes or after 100 hours. It is more important to use quality high pressure compressor oil and change it less often than to use petroleum based motor oils with detergent additives or #46 hydraulic fluid and change it more often.

Unfortunately, a few often repeated off base “rules” get reposted and people start believing they are facts rather than fiction.

Put a check valve inline after the last filter. This will hold pressure in tank. From there I just open the drain valve on the oil-water separator. Do this every 10min or so and adjust frequency to suit your local humidity. When I'm done filling, I open valve on separator and then the two on the compressor while still running to ensure any residual mosure is blown out. 

Thank you for the valuable input guys.I did purchase the Mobil 827, seemed a little pricey but in the world of $2000 airguns what the heck plus if it increases the life and reliability of the compressor then it will pay dividends down the road.I also purchased the tank connector with the check valve to hold pressure in the tank.I plan to fire the fill station up soon so will probably be seeking more advice after it is up and running,Regards,Jay

Jschwartzlow,

Great set up and really nice woodwork!! Can you share how the combo of the water separater and gold Tuxing filter have worked with your Yong Heng compressor? Do you feel that they both have provided really clean air to your tank and /or guns? Any dirt ,grime, oil or moisture getting past your system so to speak? 

Also how has the Yong Heng worked for you? Have you had it long? Any problems? 

thanks, ksblank

Here is my setup. I definitely wanted an oil water separator after I saw the standard Yong Heng inline filter after topping off a Daystate Huntsman. I found this one on eBay. I see they also make a double with oil water separator followed by a charcoal filter. If the charcoal can be swapped for molecular swivel, that might be the easiest and most compact solution. I had already ordered the Tuxing 3 stage gold filter so decided to build this rack and hold my SCBA bottle as well. It seems to catch a good amount of water even here in Arizona <20% humidity. Has anyone tested the air after a similar filter setup to know how well it works? I'm also curious if anyone has tested any of the $750-$1000 compressors? None of the manufacturers or resellers seem to say anything about filtration.
PXL_20201226_210411554.1609095200.jpg

This is really a nice setup.

ksblank:

I have not had any problems with the compressor or filters. It is less than a year old so probably too soon to say. I expect the compressor will develop issues with time. I also expect I can fix it with spare parts. No issues with the tanks or rifle, but I have not depressurized and disassembled to inspect air cylinders. The media in the 3 stage filter looks the same as it did new. No humidity or discoloring. I can say that even in Arizona at 10% humidity, the oil water separator always sprays water vapor when I open the valve. So I know it is removing water. I do this a couple times when filling a 30min SCBA bottle from empty or once if topping off. I probably would need to do this more often if I lived in high humidity. So far so good.

John

Thanks John,

Had heard some comment about the small YH pushing air through the various filters and wanted to dig a little deeper before purchase ! Sounds like it's working well for you . Will likely follow suit soon. Just wish I could duplicate that nice woodwork of yours!! If your gold filter looks like new I can't imagine that anything bad has gotten into your tank. I appreciate your follow up reply.

Best,

Kurt / ksblank