• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Gold Filter For Yong Heng

I guess it might also depend on your weather conditions. I live in the desert so water isn't much of a problem here. I use this one:

PCP Air Filter Compressor Oil-Water Separator High Pressure 40Mpa 300bar Pump | eBay

Because the filter is in smaller pieces, I only change the front part of the filter. While vertical is probably better, I lay on its side all the time. Never had any water problems in the filter, no accumulated water anywhere. The little filter on the Yong Heng seems to catch most of the oil and water so if you watch it, very little gets into a second filter.

Best thing is to try your choice of filters, check the filters after every couple fills until you get a cadence of what the compressor likes in your conditions.

Your filter must work extremely well. Mine gets bled off through the drain valve 2-4x during a fill, and a LOT of water comes out. I use the factory cotton filter after the separator as well, and it has always been bone dry. Have changed the factory cotton element 1 time in about 2 years of hard use, and it was just the tiniest bit dirty.

Anyone considering a Yong Heng type compressor should buy a water separator tower instead of a gold filter just like Long_Gun_Dallas'. One of the compromises of the Yong Heng is the tiny water separator that is built in which doesn't catch much moisture generated during compression. . A dive compressor's water separator works identically to the aftermarket separator he purchased. They remove 99% of the moisture and any brand desiccant filter is only intended to remove the remainder. That's why LGD's small cotton filter stays dry. This is the route to take if you set up a small compressor like this. The only other recommendations are to use high pressure compressor oil and to keep runs to 30 minutes or less. A 2 minute warm up under no load and a 2 minute cool down with open valves is also a good idea.

One frequently mentioned but bogus recommendation often repeated is to shut down compressors well short of their pressure rating. That's a wives tale. It's like telling you your car will last longer if you only drive it 50 mph or less. Sounds authoritative but it's a made up fantasy. There are two locally owned LC-110's with auto shutoff at 4500 psi which are always is run to the factory shutoff pressure. Annual oil changes and 30 minute runs for 2 plus years and they both run like new. Believe a manutfacturer, not what people say who have no basis of proof to back up their claim.

Here is my setup. I definitely wanted an oil water separator after I saw the standard Yong Heng inline filter after topping off a Daystate Huntsman. I found this one on eBay. I see they also make a double with oil water separator followed by a charcoal filter. If the charcoal can be swapped for molecular swivel, that might be the easiest and most compact solution. I had already ordered the Tuxing 3 stage gold filter so decided to build this rack and hold my SCBA bottle as well. It seems to catch a good amount of water even here in Arizona <20% humidity. Has anyone tested the air after a similar filter setup to know how well it works? I'm also curious if anyone has tested any of the $750-$1000 compressors? None of the manufacturers or resellers seem to say anything about filtration.
PXL_20201226_210411554.1609095200.jpg

Here is my setup. I definitely wanted an oil water separator after I saw the standard Yong Heng inline filter after topping off a Daystate Huntsman. I found this one on eBay. I see they also make a double with oil water separator followed by a charcoal filter. If the charcoal can be swapped for molecular swivel, that might be the easiest and most compact solution. I had already ordered the Tuxing 3 stage gold filter so decided to build this rack and hold my SCBA bottle as well. It seems to catch a good amount of water even here in Arizona <20% humidity. Has anyone tested the air after a similar filter setup to know how well it works? I'm also curious if anyone has tested any of the $750-$1000 compressors? None of the manufacturers or resellers seem to say anything about filtration.

Wow! Very nice set up. In the process of building a new workbench just for this set up. Thanks for posting!!

A beautiful set up. As you requested feedback on $1000 compressors, I have just received my Hill EC3000 compressor. I originally purchased my first pcp airgun and gxgs3 compressor this year after many years of powder burning use and sales. I got into to rid myself of many years of home damage due to squirrels in my attic. My disgust with springers got me to purchase the first round of pcp. The first rifle and compressor where both defective so i purchased a better rifle and while sufficing with a scuba tank and a 70 mile round trip through Dallas traffic to the scuba shop to fill my tank I decided to purchase an alkin w31 but then decided that was way too much over kill and I can spend that on a better rifle so I now have the Hill and have used it only three times and it was actually so easy and quick that I failed to time it. My rifle tank is 300 and it cannot take over a minute to go from 160 to 250 bars which of course is 3625 psi. Its max is only 300 bar so filling bing tanks is beyond its capability and that's fine with me. I purchased a filtration system 30mpa scuba dual cylinder with dual drains etc, but do not need it since there is only a single tiny spot on my filter after 3 short fills. If you can operate a smart phone it will take about 3 minutes from start to finish to use this Hill.

Thank you all for your input. Wish I could have found info on the water separator tower prior to my purchase.

Heat kills tolerances, so I get why you are suggesting the 2min pre and post no load run. Im not sure its beneficial however to run the unit like that in terms of its design. Its designed to see heavy load on the piston/rod/crank and by running with no load, its like throwing a punch and not hitting anything. If as you said this is suggested from manufacturer then I'll do it. 

Not sure why I couldn't add text to the picture above. It's not perfect but it's working for me. The top shelf is where I set my tank or rifle when filling. The last black filter has a plug of cigarette filter at each end and a molecular sieve in between. Have never seen any water in my rifles or my tank. It's run indoors in a cooled or heated environment. Changes, since this picture was taken, are a plastic tote with a sealed lid for the water, and an additional fan that clamps on the shelf providing additional cooling air. Temps filling tanks never reaches 60c.

All: thanks for the complements on the setup. Woodworking is another of my many hobbies.

I built the setup to fill 30min SCBA bottles. There is a sink nearby that drains into my small citrus grove. I put the pump in the sink and let it run down the drain to water the trees. Pump stabilized about 60C. When I just fill one airgun, I can recirulate from a 1 quart container. I suggest this as a Yong Heng can be portable and direct fill without 5 gallons of icy water. 

@Grandadmorgan - I saw that dual stage filter and really like the design. I believe the second stage is a charcoal filter which is intended to take taste and smell out of air for breathing. Is it possible to swap the cartridge or refill the cartridge with a molecular sieve? I would think that would be preferred for filtering any residual moisture.

I am in the process of setting up my newly acquired YH compressor and want to do it right the first time.I noticed that opinions differ in many aspects of maintenance and operation of these compressors.Apparently there are a number of ways to skin the cat. After sorting through a lot of good information on the forum here I decided to add the water separator in addition to the gold filter I already have.I particularly like jschwartlows setup.My question is with the purge valve on the water separator is it still necessary to periodically bleed the valves on the compressor when filling a tank?