Going to try coyote

Father in law has been seeing coyotes on the driveway cam pretty early so thinking of setting up the predator call and proning out in the bed of the truck to see if I can call one in. Got the Prophet tuned up with 23 gr NSA slugs shooting 880 fps literal one hole groups in my basement range. Can go hotter but the groups open up slightly. I size them down to .2157 with my NOE bullet sizers. They have chickens on their small farm and I am sure that is what the coyotes are sniffing out. Probably be 50 yard shot.

If they have an established route already, just sit in a blind, out of site and see if they will give you a good shot.

Coyotes that kill livestock get shot, head, gut, neck, dont care, they can die slowly in pain for all I care. If they have not killed livestock, Get a good heart and lung shot, dont stress over a good headshot on the first Yote.

It's SO easy to get a neck shot with no real damage done or do a cape shot that also will not even leave a lasting wound. You can also hit the eye orbs forward with no visible results for several days.

Yote shot.jpg

Yote shot 2.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: N2 Shooter
We are trying to get more deer and turkeys established in the area and you can hear the yotes yipping in the evenings. I have seen them on deer hunts but they have been 300 hundred yards away in thick woods and all I had was my 300 BO. Need to thin the coons down also so may use some of them as bait for a yote and see if I can ambush some that way.

Yotes are amazingly smart, they may be fooled by calls but I have never seen it. Establishing routes, leave some 'chum' like a coon to gnaw on sounds like a good bet.

50y is very rare, a good LED light that is instant on/off will range you at night with eye spacing about 4 inches across. Letting them pass without taking a shot as you see their run will pay off in future runs.