• The AGN App is ready! To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Going to extremes with balanced valves

IMG_20230507_070838556.jpg

This one weighed 12 gr which was a 1:1 copy of the stock but made in Nylon MDS

Instead of preload or shaving more off the hammer just a idea

I require preload on the spring due to limited spacing and my ssg build which allows my current .04" gap, and I am lightening the hammer because I want to run the lightest possible hammer that will plateau my valve with said preload on my 7lb spring. A preloaded spring + free flight is the goal of an SSG. Thanks for the idea but again I already run a gap/free flight.

Matt

Reactions: Airgunmann
I require preload on the spring due to limited spacing and my ssg build which allows my current .04" gap, and I am lightening the hammer because I want to run the lightest possible hammer that will plateau my valve with said preload on my 7lb spring. A preloaded spring + free flight is the goal of an SSG. Thanks for the idea but again I already run a gap/free flight.

Matt
My bad didn't read that you had a ssg that's basically the same thing I ment free flighting the hammer I must of read it wrong thought you were preloading off the hammer oops

My bad didn't read that you had a ssg that's basically the same thing I ment free flighting the hammer I must of read it wrong thought you were preloading off the hammer oops

No problemo, was good advice if I hadn't been using free flight already. I'm not so much solving a problem as exploring how light I can take the marauders hammer design (with my ssg and longer throw that requires a hammer of 1.2" in length opposed to the 1" stock). I am hoping to hit 7-8 grams dressed with striker/cocking lug.

Matt

I know many marauder modders are long gone but, figure I update what a balanced valve CAN do when taken to an extreme, while some guns already boast similar, this was a complete DIY approach on a dated platform. Who says turds can't be polished?

I never updated the thread since I went sub 8 gram hammer a month+ ago when I made one at 6.9 grams, since then I decided to try another design that is even lighter for a giggle.

Newest hammer made from UHMW, only 5.91 grams. Shot cycle is incredible, I am in the sub 2 ms hammer locktime even with a 3# spring.

That'll close this chapter for myself and going to extremes with 'balanced valves', as I feel there I can't go much more extreme without diminishing returns, and this is an end goal I set for myself on hammer weight.

The offset on the face for the sear is so I can run a fairly flush striker while still utilizing my lift limiter, plus it shaved a tad more weight.

-Matt

IMG_20230817_135834023_MF_PORTRAIT.jpg

Last edited:
Nice work, thank you for sharing. Light hammers are cool, especially when not hard to cock.

Dressed with the peek lug and striker its at 6.6 grams right now, gonna shave another hair off but this is where it'll be! I still plateau on just 5 lbs of spring.

IMG_20230817_200612027.jpg

Once I hit sub 10 grs the strike became imperceptible, so little momentum anymore.

-Matt

Last edited:
Some hammer data to compare to. Note the massive drop in hammer locktime, momentum and hammer FPE, resulting in a much quicker shot cycle with less frame resonance.

Hammer weight (gr)Hammer Spring lbs/inHammer Locktime (ms)Hammer MomentumHammer FPE
Standard Valve 58 gr58 7.77.52,186.582
Balanced Valve 25 gr w/ .125 stem closing force257.75.231.361.523
Balanced valve 6.6 gr w/ .061 stem closing force6.651.94.474.241

-Matt

Reactions: mackeral5
What can I say...I can't help myself...this is the fully loaded weight with striker and cocking lug.

I am also running only .53" hammer travel currently and plateauing on just 5 lbs of hammer spring with about 0.05 preload or so, so around 3 lbs to cock the gun, alternatively a 3# spring with .45" preload also plateaus the gun currently, the 4.8 lbs weight of the gun easily cocks the bolt itself if you let gravity take hold while gripping the bolt alone..

-Matt

IMG_20230820_112116152_MF_PORTRAIT.jpg

Last edited:
If you want to tinker with ever lighter designs, consider working up a 3D model and have someone print it with a carbon fiber-impregnated resin like Onyx. A honeycomb infill of varying percentages would give a lot of control over the finished weight.

Granted, a sub-6g hammer for a tube that size is excellent as is so it would be hard to justify starting over with CAD but maybe it’s something to consider for other projects.