• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Going from MOA to MIL scope

So the other day I was able to look through a Burris XTRiii, and man it was nice. Super thin lines and crystal clear. Was able to compare it to the NF NX8, I personally did not like the thick lines in the NF. I do not remember the reticle, but it was a Christmas tree version in the Burris. The problem is that reticle only comes in MIL. All my other scopes are MOA reticle’s. 2 Aztec’s and Vortex Tactical.

What im wondering is, how painful will it be to switch to the MIL scope after using the MOA scopes on my Airguns for hold over and holding windage? I don’t dial. 90 percent of my shooting is from 30 to 150 yards.

Am I over thinking It?

Thanks 

10th's, that's mils.

Ten pennies in a dime, the dime is a pretend mil.

What's 23 clicks ? It's 2.3 mils. Use the whole number and add 3 more clicks. Instead of 23 pennies, it's 2 dimes plus 3 pennies. 

You use a ballistic app for a solution and you don't neccesarily think in inches anymore. 

I like. 2 mil reticles in FFP scopes. You can bracket if needed to see 1 click "in" the reticle. 

In FFP you use the reticle to measure POI against POA. You can do that with SFP but the scope needs to be on the correct magnification for a mil to be true. 

Some reticles are devided into .5 mil. That's 5 clicks or half a mil.

It's so simple my daughter learned mils in minutes during a match. 

Thanks for the information. I will have to decide which way to go. The Burris or Athlon Ares.....

I just bought and returned an Ares. I liked the scope but there was very noticeable darkening of the image beyond 15x and a somewhat tight eye box compared to some others. I can live with those small issues at that price point but what sealed the deal for me was a tracking issue out of the box. My scope would wander a full mill after the first shot. If i dialed 5 mil, the first shot would hit at 5 and any other shots would wander up to 6 mil or more after the scope settled down. I'm sure I got a defective one but it left a sour taste after my first impression with them.