• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Glock Gen 3 red dot

Have you read this section lately ?
All kinds of info on red dot sights.
Let me say that after trying cheaper dot sights years back on various weapons, I will not use, cheap dot sights, for a few reasons.
Read the following carefully...

I've used, brands, in order of preference (pistol size only) -

1 - Holosun, various
2 - SeeAll Sights, various. No battery required
3 - Trijicon, MRO, RMR (I don't own an RMR)
4 - Vortex, various
5 - Burris, various
6 - Leupold, Deltapoint Pro. The version that I have isn't made any longer, unfortunately
7 - Sig Sauer, don't make this version any longer

There are others, but for many reasons, I haven't bought.

Yeah, I have a few guns... As you can see, I much prefer the Holosun brand of sights. They seem to continue to innovate, change, and move forward in design and capabilities. Many of their sights have solar cells on the tops to aid with their 50,000 hour battery life. These solar cells do not charge the battery's, but act to keep the sight working, if/when the battery does die !

As general info -
There are a few "dot" sizes, or diameters. From 1moa to 8moa. There may be others , but the largest I've seen is the 8moa.
The cheaper sights tend to use the 5, 6 and 8moa diameters. This as you might guess, takes up (hides) a LOT of the target. In most cases, a 2moa dot is my preference. The only 1moa dot size in on a sight, is larger and more for rifles.
The 2moa dot size, is plenty large enough for both close up (best) and farther out, even to 50 yards (still very good).

Another use hint -
Do NOT turn the brightness way up. Keep the dots brightness down so it's JUST visible, for the ambient light that you are shooting in, for the best target acquisition.

Your eyes -
IF...you have astigmatism in your eyes, some/many of the sights, the dot will not appear "round". It can end up looking like many shapes, but are all still small, and usable.
Remember...you are NOT...trying to track the..."dot", you should be tracking the "target" ! Many people complain about this, and think that it's the sights problem, when actually...it's their...problem.
The note about the dots brightness...will go a long way in helping your eye problem, and keeping the dot looking...more...round !
How do I know all this...yeah, I have an astigmatism in both eyes !

A note about cheap sights -
Something to remember. As careful as we are, occasionally, crap happens. Things fall on the ground ! If you go into YouTube, there are a few guys that do torture tests to various sights. It's pretty hard to damage a Holosun sight ! The sights with light weight shrouds (Sig Sauer, Burris !) around the lens, will damage VERY easily, and you'll likely be buying another sight after a short drop onto a hard surface !
Also, the battery life is normally abysmal. Keep spare battery's handy when using...cheap sights !

Your mount question -
ONLY...the Trijicon and Holosun...use the "RMR" mount pattern (currently). So you can use either the Trijicon, RMR or the many Holosun sights with that mount. All others are proprietary, to that brand.
Actually, Trijicon has a couple of pistol sized, dot sights. I've not used any of them for various reasons.

Have fun choosing.
YouTube is a great place for doing your "homework", in helping you choose a sight. The above info is an accumulation of watching MANY... YouTube videos, my own first hand experience and learning, and...good ol common sense.

A couple of mine -

Both Holosun
1672473323138.jpeg

SeeAll
1672473363982.jpeg

Burris
1672473438507.jpeg

Another Holosun
1672473491911.jpeg

Sig Sauer
1672473548074.jpeg

Vortex
1672474732098.jpeg

Mike

Liking the red dot on the FAS there.…and agreeing with your comments.

The Trijicon RMR comes with an optional base plate…actually intended for the Glock 17…
I am planning on modding this base plate so i can remove the 20mm dovetail and my Piccy rail to mount it much lower, directly onto the breech block….but you would not need to do that.
Simply unscrewing the fitted dovetail clamp section, and fitting the optional mount plate with the same screws..
When i have done that ill add pic of it here for you.

E94FEDEB-39E3-483E-8D1B-3FFB55B8B7D1.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: Sublimemoon0000
Liking the red dot on the FAS there.…and agreeing with your comments.

The Trijicon RMR comes with an optional base plate…actually intended for the Glock 17…
I am planning on modding this base plate so i can remove the 20mm dovetail and my Piccy rail to mount it much lower, directly onto the breech block….but you would not need to do that.
Simply unscrewing the fitted dovetail clamp section, and fitting the optional mount plate with the same screws..
When i have done that ill add pic of it here for you.
Steve -

You missed how I mounted the Vortex on my 6004 FAS !

It's a 3M VHB tape. It's an acrylic material that...is...the tape Extremely strong, VERY difficult to remove. Only heat will aid in it's removal and hopefully, the heat won't hurt your part(s).
I was very careful in the mounting, so the sight was as straight as possible so the aiming was still within the sights capability. I was lucky and got it right !

Mike

Reactions: Steveoo
Have you read this section lately ?
All kinds of info on red dot sights.
Let me say that after trying cheaper dot sights years back on various weapons, I will not use, cheap dot sights, for a few reasons.
Read the following carefully...

I've used, brands, in order of preference (pistol size only) -

1 - Holosun, various
2 - SeeAll Sights, various. No battery required
3 - Trijicon, MRO, RMR (I don't own an RMR)
4 - Vortex, various
5 - Burris, various
6 - Leupold, Deltapoint Pro. The version that I have isn't made any longer, unfortunately
7 - Sig Sauer, don't make this version any longer

There are others, but for many reasons, I haven't bought.

Yeah, I have a few guns... As you can see, I much prefer the Holosun brand of sights. They seem to continue to innovate, change, and move forward in design and capabilities. Many of their sights have solar cells on the tops to aid with their 50,000 hour battery life. These solar cells do not charge the battery's, but act to keep the sight working, if/when the battery does die !

As general info -
There are a few "dot" sizes, or diameters. From 1moa to 8moa. There may be others , but the largest I've seen is the 8moa.
The cheaper sights tend to use the 5, 6 and 8moa diameters. This as you might guess, takes up (hides) a LOT of the target. In most cases, a 2moa dot is my preference. The only 1moa dot size in on a sight, is larger and more for rifles.
The 2moa dot size, is plenty large enough for both close up (best) and farther out, even to 50 yards (still very good).

Another use hint -
Do NOT turn the brightness way up. Keep the dots brightness down so it's JUST visible, for the ambient light that you are shooting in, for the best target acquisition.

Your eyes -
IF...you have astigmatism in your eyes, some/many of the sights, the dot will not appear "round". It can end up looking like many shapes, but are all still small, and usable.
Remember...you are NOT...trying to track the..."dot", you should be tracking the "target" ! Many people complain about this, and think that it's the sights problem, when actually...it's their...problem.
The note about the dots brightness...will go a long way in helping your eye problem, and keeping the dot looking...more...round !
How do I know all this...yeah, I have an astigmatism in both eyes !

A note about cheap sights -
Something to remember. As careful as we are, occasionally, crap happens. Things fall on the ground ! If you go into YouTube, there are a few guys that do torture tests to various sights. It's pretty hard to damage a Holosun sight ! The sights with light weight shrouds (Sig Sauer, Burris !) around the lens, will damage VERY easily, and you'll likely be buying another sight after a short drop onto a hard surface !
Also, the battery life is normally abysmal. Keep spare battery's handy when using...cheap sights !

Your mount question -
ONLY...the Trijicon and Holosun...use the "RMR" mount pattern (currently). So you can use either the Trijicon, RMR or the many Holosun sights with that mount. All others are proprietary, to that brand.
Actually, Trijicon has a couple of pistol sized, dot sights. I've not used any of them for various reasons.

Have fun choosing.
YouTube is a great place for doing your "homework", in helping you choose a sight. The above info is an accumulation of watching MANY... YouTube videos, my own first hand experience and learning, and...good ol common sense.

A couple of mine -

Both Holosun
View attachment 318580

SeeAll
View attachment 318581

Burris
View attachment 318582

Another Holosun
View attachment 318583

Sig Sauer
View attachment 318584

Vortex
View attachment 318586

Mike
Very Informative thank you 👍 that satisfies my questions , your pistols are awesome as well. I'm really liking the 1911 with the Burris optic 😁😁