Huben GK1, Thoughts on the good and the not so good.

Load the magazine correctly with ammunition that fits and your jamming will go away. Don't blame this superb gun for you

Load the magazine correctly with ammunition that fits and your jamming will go away. Don't blame this superb gun for your errors.
This gun is overly priced junk, not superb by a long shot.

The GK1 does NOT jam if you load pellets correctly. I have shot so many rounds with no issues at all. The only problem with the GK1 is that is has blown away the rest of the pistol competitors with the accuracy, power, and reliable semi-auto design. This is so true that you can see on the forum that there are so many threads on the GK1 with so many positive confirmations on all of the above. Oh the other so so good aspect is that it shoots so well and so fast in semi-auto that you have to buy more ammo sooner than your old pistols :)

The GK1 does NOT jam if you load pellets correctly. I have shot so many rounds with no issues at all. The only problem with the GK1 is that is has blown away the rest of the pistol competitors with the accuracy, power, and reliable semi-auto design. This is so true that you can see on the forum that there are so many threads on the GK1 with so many positive confirmations on all of the above. Oh the other so so good aspect is that it shoots so well and so fast in semi-auto that you have to buy more ammo sooner than your old pistols :)
Well I guess not everything mechanical can work perfectly. At first I turned the power up to copy the reviews I saw on YouTube. It worked without issue for a while then started to jam and depressure. I have tried different settings on the power adjuster and also varied pellets. It may run through 2 to 3 mags and I think I have it figured out then it jams again. I tend to believe it is probably something I am doing wrong. Even tried .254 pellets because they were suggested and seating them slightly in the mag.

Well I guess not everything mechanical can work perfectly. At first I turned the power up to copy the reviews I saw on YouTube. It worked without issue for a while then started to jam and depressure. I have tried different settings on the power adjuster and also varied pellets. It may run through 2 to 3 mags and I think I have it figured out then it jams again. I tend to believe it is probably something I am doing wrong. Even tried .254 pellets because they were suggested and seating them slightly in the mag.
Just buy some JTS 18.1gr pellets and simply push them through the gate NO seating. Turn the power adjuster down some, and start enjoying this game changing PCP Pistol.
Have fun!

Just reread this post, and noticed the OP's reference to .254 pellets. DUH, my response for .22 cal pellets was,,,well, you already know.
My apologies to jland48.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wauzoo
What I use are the JSB Match Diablo King .25 pellets https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07KPHLR8T/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I have gone thru 2800 rounds with no jams. I have always washed my pellets and lubed them with FP10. I just insert them but I do lightly press them to make sure they are seated but I do not push much at all. Everyone I have read that had issues were when they were shooting slugs not pellets.

Reactions: Barri_40
Steve-I provided this very informative post on GK1 and slugs which may help others understand,

"You folks have to do some arithmetic. No slugs that I am aware of fit correctly in a GK1. This is because the magazzine has no way of securing them in position and they usually have too much bore resistance for the available pressure. Simply, the gun is designed for pellets. Now, I have stated this in other threads and I will do this here one more time. The GK1 barrel diameters are Land = .247", Groove = .253". The magazine bore size is exactly .250".The magazine at the rear of each bore has a small chamfer. This chamfer is designed to capture the tail end of a Diabolo pellet skirt, which just happens to be .260".It is that chamfer that retain the pellet in position while in the magazine. Slugs do not have .260 skirt. Slugs also have a much longer bearing surface that must be pressed, forged or swaged into the barrel, where a pellet head just touches the barrel lands for stability and the skirt is swaged first in the magazine at firing time to .250" and then as it enters the barrel, the skirt is then swaged from .250" down to .247" to conform to the rifling lands. Remember that you have only 300 bar to achieve this swaging, whereas in a powder burner you have somewhere between 25,000 CUP (copper units of pressure)in a pistol to just over 50,000 CUP in rifle cartridges."

To me for reliability it is best to stick to quality pellets like JSB's and if you must use slugs you need to get the right diameter and still be very careful as the gun is not really ideal for slugs, but that is my opinion...

Reactions: Barri_40
Las únicas babosas comerciales que se asientan bien son las babosas JSB MK2. Los he usado mucho y sin encallar, pero prefiero el tiro.

Saludos. Screenshot_2024-03-30-10-44-42-46_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpgScreenshot_2024-03-30-10-45-01-25_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

Steve-I provided this very informative post on GK1 and slugs which may help others understand,

"You folks have to do some arithmetic. No slugs that I am aware of fit correctly in a GK1. This is because the magazzine has no way of securing them in position and they usually have too much bore resistance for the available pressure. Simply, the gun is designed for pellets. Now, I have stated this in other threads and I will do this here one more time. The GK1 barrel diameters are Land = .247", Groove = .253". The magazine bore size is exactly .250".The magazine at the rear of each bore has a small chamfer. This chamfer is designed to capture the tail end of a Diabolo pellet skirt, which just happens to be .260".It is that chamfer that retain the pellet in position while in the magazine. Slugs do not have .260 skirt. Slugs also have a much longer bearing surface that must be pressed, forged or swaged into the barrel, where a pellet head just touches the barrel lands for stability and the skirt is swaged first in the magazine at firing time to .250" and then as it enters the barrel, the skirt is then swaged from .250" down to .247" to conform to the rifling lands. Remember that you have only 300 bar to achieve this swaging, whereas in a powder burner you have somewhere between 25,000 CUP (copper units of pressure)in a pistol to just over 50,000 CUP in rifle cartridges."

To me for reliability it is best to stick to quality pellets like JSB's and if you must use slugs you need to get the right diameter and still be very careful as the gun is not really ideal for slugs, but that is my opinion...
You are correct. which I quickly found out, because of the tapered shape of the slugs they don't stay straight in the mag and cause problems. The most success I have had is with JSB 33.95 pellets slightly seated in the mag. I reached to Ares Tactical and have received no response on this. This gun, besides being way overpriced is accurate and fun to shoot as long as it doesn't jam. My main complaint is reliability in field use, but I have other pcp's for hunting.

You are correct. which I quickly found out, because of the tapered shape of the slugs they don't stay straight in the mag and cause problems. The most success I have had is with JSB 33.95 pellets slightly seated in the mag. I reached to Ares Tactical and have received no response on this. This gun, besides being way overpriced is accurate and fun to shoot as long as it doesn't jam. My main complaint is reliability in field use, but I have other pcp's for hunting.
That makes more sense now as you probably accidently said .254 pellets, and it sounds like you meant that you had issues shooting slugs? This pistol is a game changer as it is very accurate, reliable so long as you shoot pellets primarily, and is semi-auto. It can shoot distances that are just not possible with most air pistols. That is what I have found a little pushing the limits of what the pistol is made for, referring to using slugs. The only time people have jamming issues is with slugs.

Yes it has the power to shoot slugs with massive force, but do you really use a pistol to go hunting and shooting past 100 yards? Yes the GK1 is capable of shooting 50 to 200 yards but come on guys it is an air pistol not a rifle so it is really a 50 yard or less gun that is designed for pellets. If you stick to that this pistol is well worth the money as you can have so much reliable rapid fire fun with the accuracy that will beat most any other air pistol.

To me here is the #1 not so good thoughts on the GK1, Youtuber's whom mislead people that the GK1 is as reliable for slugs as it is pellets. What they always show is crazy accurate rapid fire first with pellets, then they end their videos with some power shots cranking the FPS to get say 6 steady shots of 900-1200 FPS with a heavy slug going through a 1" board at 100 yards, or a a brick, or a watermelon, or ballistic gel, etc. Then people whom never shot the GK1 or read the threads to learn that is not really intended for slugs. Sure you can shoot slugs but you need to be so careful on the type of slug, how you seat them and what loading gate you use, and careful not to tip the pistol down/up to unseat the slug, etc. You never see Youtuber's rapid fire slugs magazine after magazine. That is because it would likely jam, I shot 2800 rounds with 75% of those rapid fire and still in the black, try to do that with slugs, and I doubt you can without a jam. The GK1 even with an amateur shot like myself can hit the bullseye every time at 25 yards. I bet you field target guys whom shoot pistols more often and with more skill can do that at 50 or more yards out every time, heck there are people shooting tin cans at 100 and 200 yards with the GK1, but you do not see anyone doing crazy rapid fire with slugs do you?

Reactions: steve-l
To me here is the #1 not so good thoughts on the GK1, Youtuber's whom mislead people that the GK1 is as reliable for slugs as it is pellets. What they always show is crazy accurate rapid fire first with pellets, then they end their videos with some power shots cranking the FPS to get say 6 steady shots of 900-1200 FPS with a heavy slug going through a 1" board at 100 yards, or a a brick, or a watermelon, or ballistic gel, etc. Then people whom never shot the GK1 or read the threads to learn that is not really intended for slugs. Sure you can shoot slugs but you need to be so careful on the type of slug, how you seat them and what loading gate you use, and careful not to tip the pistol down/up to unseat the slug, etc. You never see Youtuber's rapid fire slugs magazine after magazine. That is because it would likely jam, I shot 2800 rounds with 75% of those rapid fire and still in the black, try to do that with slugs, and I doubt you can without a jam. The GK1 even with an amateur shot like myself can hit the bullseye every time at 25 yards. I bet you field target guys whom shoot pistols more often and with more skill can do that at 50 or more yards out every time, heck there are people shooting tin cans at 100 and 200 yards with the GK1, but you do not see anyone doing crazy rapid fire with slugs do you?
Half a cylinder loaded with slugs should be equal in weight to a cylinder full with pellets. So it should be possible, assuming the problem is turning a heavy cylinder fast enough, and that the jams were within the first few shots (while most of the chambers are full and the weight is present).

Half a cylinder loaded with slugs should be equal in weight to a cylinder full with pellets. So it should be possible, assuming the problem is turning a heavy cylinder fast enough, and that the jams were within the first few shots (while most of the chambers are full and the weight is present).
The jamming fault of slugs has nothing to do with their weight. The fault lies with the inability to secure the slug in the magazine other than through friction because slugs do not have a skirt that locks into the chamfer of each magazine bore..

To me here is the #1 not so good thoughts on the GK1, Youtuber's who mislead people that the GK1 is as reliable for slugs as it is pellets. What they always show is crazy accurate rapid fire first with pellets, then they end their videos with some power shots cranking the FPS to get say 6 steady shots of 900-1200 FPS with a heavy slug going through a 1" board at 100 yards, or aa brick, or a watermelon, or ballistic gel, etc. Then people who never shot the GK1 or read the threads to learn that is not really intended for slugs. Sure you can shoot slugs but you need to be so careful on the type of slug, how you seat them and what loading gate you use, and careful not to tip the pistol down/up to unseat the slug, etc. You never see Youtuber's rapid fire slugs magazine after magazine. That is because it would likely jam, I shot 2800 rounds with 75% of those rapid fire and still in the black, try to do that with slugs, and I doubt you can without a jam. The GK1 even with an amateur shot like myself can hit the bullseye every time at 25 yards. I bet you field target guys who shoot pistols more often and with more skill can do that at 50 or more yards out every time, heck there are people shooting tin cans at 100 and 200 yards with the GK1, but you don't see anyone doing crazy rapid fire with slugs do you?
Not only are you correct in your opinion, there is no reason to use slugs with a pistol. I have dropped crows out of a tree at just over 100 meters with a JSB 25 gr pellet with my .25 Cal GK1. The JSB 33 gr pellet actually works better at that distance, but the 25 gr is more than sufficient. Who needs slugs?

Reactions: primaz
Not only are you correct in your opinion, there is no reason to use slugs with a pistol. I have dropped crows out of a tree at just over 100 meters with a JSB 25 gr pellet with my .25 Cal GK1. The JSB 33 gr pellet actually works better at that distance, but the 25 gr is more than sufficient. Who needs slugs?
I've always had difficulty understanding the lust to shoot slugs, (basically fire arm bullets) in a Pellet Gun.
But then, I'm old, and have difficulty understanding a lot of things these days.
Been shooting pellet guns for over 50 years. I still love shooting both, my pellet guns, and my bullet guns.
I do understand the QUIET part of all that, but............???
Well, I guess if you're having fun, that's what's really important!!
JMHO.

After much experimentation, I have come to the same conclusion that the GK1 is best shooting pellets and not slugs. Mine is in .22, but the issues are similar with the .25 version. As a last ditch attempt, I have ordered some .219 hollow base slugs from AVS. I am not holding my breath.

Now, with pellets, the GK1 is rather capable. Mine can shoot GTOs, JSB RSs, and JSB Heavies all accurately. How accurate? Accurate enough to warrant a 5x scope and a shoulder stock!

I also noticed that the recoil feels differently depending on whether I am shooting slugs or pellets. Shooting 18gr pellets has a very gentle recoil compared to shooting 20gr slugs at the same power wheel setting. Even with a scope, shoulder stock and an LDC, the set up weighs 4 pounds, flat. This also makes it not a feasible platform to shoot slugs.

I've always had difficulty understanding the lust to shoot slugs, (basically fire arm bullets) in a Pellet Gun.
But then, I'm old, and have difficulty understanding a lot of things these days.
Been shooting pellet guns for over 50 years. I still love shooting both, my pellet guns, and my bullet guns.
I do understand the QUIET part of all that, but............???
Well, I guess if you're having fun, that's what's really important!!
JMHO.
I agree, the slug craze is real and I've been down that route but I also prefer pellets on anything under .357

Last edited:
Reactions: scottblair
To me the GK1 is all good and cannot find any real not so good aspects. It to me is not overpriced for a pistol that can shoot at air rifle velocity with incredible accuracy and do so in semi-auto reliably. You can get the pistol for $1250 at Ares Tacktical whom also provides great support at https://www.aresairgunstactical.com/Air-Pistol_c_189.html

Yes you can say it would be better with a removable mag but I am not sure about that as this design holds either 17 or 19 rounds depending on the caliber and with the mag fixed I feel it is more reliable.

There are so many aftermarket parts to enhance it that hose to me have solved any minor improvements most would like. The huben3dparts.com loading gate that allows you to load 3 pellets at a time, their low profile red/green dot mount that puts the sight in the rear where it should be, the dust cap they also sell, and look up "TorqueMaster" here on the forums and he can 3d print "Subscribers" moderator designs (the 2.75" shorty I use 90% of the time and the 4.5" version the 6.5" oval). After all of those on my GK1, I cannot think of any short comings. Oh I forgot I just purchased the rear picatinny mount from huben3dparts so now in a few seconds I can turn the GK1 into a mini carbine and have 3 points of contact to shoot past 25 yards!

The reality is the Huben GK1 has smoked the entire air pistol market as there is nothing remotely close to this performance at any price!

1712454277629.png

GK1 carbine stock unattached.jpg

GK1 carbine attached.jpg

1712454326972.png

Attachments

• GK1 carbine folded.jpg
    GK1 carbine folded.jpg
    655.5 KB · Views: 6
Last edited: