Huben GK1, Thoughts on the good and the not so good.

Well... I purchased the thingy, even if I stated that they have no shame to overprice it so much, and I even take a crusade to made a 3d printed 80 bucks max on materials (the pcp kit for the crossman 2240 and a crappy barrel from Gamo) pcp, double action, 23cm pistol with small game power, that for stupid legal reasons I can't even print in my country (but I found someone that can on his) to teach them a lesson...

Rev.jpg

But finally I purchased the thingy because... I like airguns, and this is the best thing ever produced in pistol format, even if its overpriced has f***, and lucky me, I get the V1 version that is more expensive than the newer V3 versions... for some reasons.
Don't even shooted yet because I only have .177 pellets in my house and no airgun shop in my entire city, well, I dry fire it to adjust trigger sensibility, so I cant talk about accuracy or any feeding/shooting problems yet.

Gk1.jpg

The good:
Best air pistol ever made, his direct competitor, the evanix Viper is eons away from it, as other patetic iterations as the Sortie, with plenty of malfunctions, and the meh Evanix Ar6 Pistol that has some problems with double action and depletes almost all the presure with 4 shots.

Internally diferent, at last! The secret of the Gk1 (and the K1) is a higher working pressure and using a valve system that is more logical and efficient than the old -lets punch really hard a rod to open more air flow- that has to travel a narrow space, with a really hard spring thats impossible to compress with a decent trigger pull, so more air wasted on reseting it, etc... etc... The firing valve on the GK1 reminds me off the system that uses the Umarex T4E series of crappy Co2 shooters, but in reverse and perfected.

Semi-auto, insane power, easy to regulate on the go (where is legal to do it).

Really lightweight!

The not so good:
The instruction manual on mine have an attached advice to not continuos rapid fire it... WTF... I will do it anyways.

The carbon fiber tank... are they suposed to have a much shorter lifespan, and have to be revised every 5 years? I don't know if its the case with the GK1, but I would rater have prefered a traditional steel tank even if it weights a little more for durability.

So much wasted space!! the grip protudes too much and increases the overall length, I thought the objective is to make an air PISTOL that could be called a pistol. I know its better to be front heavy and that helps with the recoil and control... in a firearm... But this is air, the recoil is totally controllable and you can make it front heavy anyways without increasing the overall lenght just advancing a little more the grip.
Also, the barrel ends before the endcap, so, this pistol could have been about 28cm long instead of its 32.5.

The charge rod gets in the way on left handed shooters, but I see that this is a problem solved on the newer V3 versions.

The air port is exposed to dust and dirt, just inexcusable.

The recharging method is just meh.

Trigger lenght is non adjustable and a bit too short for my taste, also come too light from factory.

The whole mechanism turns it into a always cooked and ready to fire gun. The only thing that prevents it is a small mechanism that I bet if the gun recives some hit, it may accidentally shoot. In the rifle format this isn't that big of a problem, but with a pistol that you could carry on your body to go hunting or something, on that dangerous permanent state... I don't know, maybe I'm wrong... but unless I see someone bashing his charged Gk1 on a table and the thing not firing, just seeing the whole mechanism makes me feel uneasy.

Things that can be 3d improved:

A plug to cover the charging port when you are not filling it!

Another grip that not protude out of the upper body of the gun. It will have to replace also the trigger guard and maybe the transmision rod to advance the whole trigger further.

A loading gate that don't cost 28 bucks, cause theirs is also crappy 3d printed.

Tuning gear connected on the regulator to adjust the power at any time, plus mechanical numeric indicators, it can be done... but for some reason the manual states that you must turn the valve just a quarter every time.... why? I don't see any mechanical problem with not doing it that way.

When I finish the Cheapo/poor man's Huben GK1, I will compare the two, and then maybe I'm gonna start making 3d mods for the GK1, wich I can never use on mine for legal reasons on my country.

Last edited:
Couple points in response. First, I thought the air tube is titanium with a CF wrap. Second, regarding rapid fire - the pistol operates with up to 350bar running through the action, mag and barrel. The rifle, being regulated is much lower. Therefore there is much more adiabatic cooling, which can damage orings etc, through freezing and cause condensation and ice crystal formation in the action and barrel.

I am all for a better pistol, I think Greger and Huben did a great job in this pistol, I am sure there can be small improvements made on the pistol , Over priced ? well I am not sure I am one of the guys 10 years ago that said I would never pay 2000 bucks for a pellet gun, Well I have and I did just that, Just never say never in this sport.
With my red dot on the Huben GKi everytime I pick it up and shoot it it impresses me, I don't shoot one hole groups but I can knock a can around with 19 shots at 30 yards, Yes I can do the same thing with my P 750 but it takes me a lot longer .
Mike

The pistol is great. I actually ended up cranking the power all the way down to decrease the need for air filling/pumping. 5-ish fpe is the lowest possible power and JSB Kings 6.35mm 25gr started bouncing off the target/backstop at one point. I have JSB lead-frees on the way - because they are only 16 gr, to get the speed up a bit.
I have never had a semi-auto anything and it will take some time for the novelty to wear off.

Well... I purchased the thingy, even if I stated that they have no shame to overprice it so much, and I even take a crusade to made a 3d printed 80 bucks max on materials (the pcp kit for the crossman 2240 and a crappy barrel from Gamo) pcp, double action, 23cm pistol with small game power, that for stupid legal reasons I can't even print in my country (but I found someone that can on his) to teach them a lesson...

View attachment 408718

But finally I purchased the thingy because... I like airguns, and this is the best thing ever produced in pistol format, even if its overpriced has f***, and lucky me, I get the V1 version that is more expensive than the newer V3 versions... for some reasons.
Don't even shooted yet because I only have .177 pellets in my house and no airgun shop in my entire city, well, I dry fire it to adjust trigger sensibility, so I cant talk about accuracy or any feeding/shooting problems yet.

View attachment 408709

The good:
Best air pistol ever made, his direct competitor, the evanix Viper is eons away from it, as other patetic iterations as the Sortie, with plenty of malfunctions, and the meh Evanix Ar6 Pistol that has some problems with double action and depletes almost all the presure with 4 shots.

Internally diferent, at last! The secret of the Gk1 (and the K1) is a higher working pressure and using a valve system that is more logical and efficient than the old -lets punch really hard a rod to open more air flow- that has to travel a narrow space, with a really hard spring thats impossible to compress with a decent trigger pull, so more air wasted on reseting it, etc... etc... The firing valve on the GK1 reminds me off the system that uses the Umarex T4E series of crappy Co2 shooters, but in reverse and perfected.

Semi-auto, insane power, easy to regulate on the go (where is legal to do it).

Really lightweight!

The not so good:
The instruction manual on mine have an attached advice to not continuos rapid fire it... WTF... I will do it anyways.

The carbon fiber tank... are they suposed to have a much shorter lifespan, and have to be revised every 5 years? I don't know if its the case with the GK1, but I would rater have prefered a traditional steel tank even if it weights a little more for durability.

So much wasted space!! the grip protudes too much and increases the overall length, I thought the objective is to make an air PISTOL that could be called a pistol. I know its better to be front heavy and that helps with the recoil and control... in a firearm... But this is air, the recoil is totally controllable and you can make it front heavy anyways without increasing the overall lenght just advancing a little more the grip.
Also, the barrel ends before the endcap, so, this pistol could have been about 28cm long instead of its 32.5.

The charge rod gets in the way on left handed shooters, but I see that this is a problem solved on the newer V3 versions.

The air port is exposed to dust and dirt, just inexcusable.

The recharging method is just meh.

Trigger lenght is non adjustable and a bit too short for my taste, also come too light from factory.

The whole mechanism turns it into a always cooked and ready to fire gun. The only thing that prevents it is a small mechanism that I bet if the gun recives some hit, it may accidentally shoot. In the rifle format this isn't that big of a problem, but with a pistol that you could carry on your body to go hunting or something, on that dangerous permanent state... I don't know, maybe I'm wrong... but unless I see someone bashing his charged Gk1 on a table and the thing not firing, just seeing the whole mechanism makes me feel uneasy.

Things that can be 3d improved:

A plug to cover the charging port when you are not filling it!

Another grip that not protude out of the upper body of the gun. It will have to replace also the trigger guard and maybe the transmision rod to advance the whole trigger further.

A loading gate that don't cost 28 bucks, cause theirs is also crappy 3d printed.

Tuning gear connected on the regulator to adjust the power at any time, plus mechanical numeric indicators, it can be done... but for some reason the manual states that you must turn the valve just a quarter every time.... why? I don't see any mechanical problem with not doing it that way.

When I finish the Cheapo/poor man's Huben GK1, I will compare the two, and then maybe I'm gonna start making 3d mods for the GK1, wich I can never use on mine for legal reasons on my country.
I think the best thing I can say about your comment is that it is disingenuous. You are ill-informed. You just bought the pistol and have yet to shoot it, yet you have no problem criticizing it. Nothing is ever perfect, there will always be some things that will over time be improved. This pistol will be no exception. In my humble opinion, Huben and Gregor have done a remarkable job creating this most amazing pistol that will over time continue to receive improvements. This is natural progression, but these improvements, when they occur, will only happen after user experience and careful analysis. You have none and your critique is out of order.

2.221 Dollar for the V1... (1.999 Euro on my country)

I payed1.399 just before they split into V1 and V3 and price start ramping up, and they send me recently a V1, so... lucky me, I guess... Still I don't get why the V1 is more expensive.

View attachment 408847
Well, the "shadow suppressor" and the adapter are provided with this one, which explains the higher price tag.

Reactions: Wauzoo
I think the best thing I can say about your comment is that it is disingenuous. You are ill-informed. You just bought the pistol and have yet to shoot it, yet you have no problem criticizing it. Nothing is ever perfect, there will always be some things that will over time be improved. This pistol will be no exception. In my humble opinion, Huben and Gregor have done a remarkable job creating this most amazing pistol that will over time continue to receive improvements. This is natural progression, but these improvements, when they occur, will only happen after user experience and careful analysis. You have none and your critique is out of order.

You get the wrong idea, I really like the gun and I'm sure it will shoot great, that doesn't mean that you can't spot a lot of things on a gun just looking at it and examine the design.

My main complain externally is the extra lenght that takes the handle, the others are just details that can be easily patched.

Internally, yes, I complain about the not so shock proof safe mechanism, but if you want to prove me wrong, please make a video bashing your GK1 on a table with the safe engaged, so people can see if the thing pass a standard pistol safety test. Well... my instructor do the same with a cooked, unloaded semi-auto with external hammer to demonstrate the safety of the gun, and the damn thing discharged anyway... but with a semi-auto, you can just carry it with no round on the chamber, and with a revolver or even a standard airgun with a hammer that strikes the valve, it's much more unlikelly to discharge accidentally.

But with the GK1... Tell me that you will feel safe taking it to a hunt or just to the range, loaded and attached to your waist or something.
Will you run with it? will you go trough the wilderness with it feeling safe?

What can I say.. I would have prefered that the safe on the GK1 was a big thing actually bloquing the rear of the mooving rood so it can't, no matter what, accidentally shoot you with the safe engaged if you trip to the ground or something accidentally hit the gun.

You get the wrong idea, I really like the gun and I'm sure it will shoot great, that doesn't mean that you can't spot a lot of things on a gun just looking at it and examine the design.

My main complain externally is the extra lenght that takes the handle, the others are just details that can be easily patched.

Internally, yes, I complain about the not so shock proof safe mechanism, but if you want to prove me wrong, please make a video bashing your GK1 on a table with the safe engaged, so people can see if the thing pass a standard pistol safety test. Well... my instructor do the same with a cooked, unloaded semi-auto with external hammer to demonstrate the safety of the gun, and the damn thing discharged anyway... but with a semi-auto, you can just carry it with no round on the chamber, and with a revolver or even a standard airgun with a hammer that strikes the valve, it's much more unlikelly to discharge accidentally.

But with the GK1... Tell me that you will feel safe taking it to a hunt or just to the range, loaded and attached to your waist or something.
Will you run with it? will you go trough the wilderness with it feeling safe?

What can I say.. I would have prefered that the safe on the GK1 was a big thing actually bloquing the rear of the mooving rood so it can't, no matter what, accidentally shoot you with the safe engaged if you trip to the ground or something accidentally hit the gun.
No I do not have to wrong idea. I point out that there have no safety issues reported yet by any body that I am aware of. So the only person complaining about a safety issue is you and you do so with only a visual exam and no testing, but however perhaps you just put the cart in front of the horse. In that case, please beat the poop out of your new GK1 with a hammer of your choice and report back to us.

The pistol is great. I actually ended up cranking the power all the way down to decrease the need for air filling/pumping. 5-ish fpe is the lowest possible power and JSB Kings 6.35mm 25gr started bouncing off the target/backstop at one point. I have JSB lead-frees on the way - because they are only 16 gr, to get the speed up a bit.
I have never had a semi-auto anything and it will take some time for the novelty to wear off.
Those would be Predator GTOs right? I think they’re made by JSB?

No I do not have to wrong idea. I point out that there have no safety issues reported yet by any body that I am aware of. So the only person complaining about a safety issue is you and you do so with only a visual exam and no testing, but however perhaps you just put the cart in front of the horse. In that case, please beat the poop out of your new GK1 with a hammer of your choice and report back to us.
There was a thread yesterday reporting an accident while out hunting with a K1, but that was with the safety disengaged. There is no doubt that the design is less safe than others and that some people avoided buying the rifles for that reason. When I take mine out hiking in a backpack, I set it up so that the first three chambers are empty. I then have to lift the lever and advance the mag to shoot. Not quite as fast as cocking a bolt but it’s an acceptable compromise to give me some peace of mind. I’ve also thought about making a cap that slides over my impulse air mod that has enough duct seal to capture a pellet.

Just load one less round and place that empty chamber in the ready position lined up with the barrel, .......simple, I used to do that with my AR6.

Gregor Kamensek prove that, if the spring on the second stage of the trigger is adjusted too lightwheigt, the pistol can keep shooting on itself. Supposetly the cilinder will not rotate in this failure ''farting'' state cause there is not enough pressure build up to do it, but... what if IT IS enough pressure cause the shock scrambled something really bad or you just have bad luck?

I can't see how the mecanism that makes the cilinder rotate is actionated, I assume is by air (dhu...) but I want to know how exactly.

I also asume that, if you maintain an empty chamber + the free rotation rod turned up, the cilinder can't rotate even if the gun shoot... right? anyone knows what will happen if you shoot with the rod turned up? I don't want to try on mine, but if it's ok, then I can think of a safety piece that retains the rod for that needed extra safety on airgun adventures.

This whole thread feels weird... like, what exactly was the point to all of this? It's clearly not a review, since you didn't even shoot the darn thing yet. It's like judging a movie before watching it, and only looking at the cover. As a result you got some basic info wrong, like the titanium airtank as a quick example.

Why not wait until you have all the info you need to do a proper analysis, and then start a thread? Because as it stands, it all looks a bit silly.

This whole thread feels weird... like, what exactly was the point to all of this? It's clearly not a review, since you didn't even shoot the darn thing yet. It's like judging a movie before watching it, and only looking at the cover. As a result you got some basic info wrong, like the titanium airtank as a quick example.

Why not wait until you have all the info you need to do a proper analysis, and then start a thread? Because as it stands, it all looks a bit silly.
Yes, paranoid about safety but willing to disregard the manufacturers advice and “. WTF... I will do it anyways.” 🤔