Huben GK1@100yards

weevil

Dec 19, 2022
Utah
After finding a sweet spot of very consistent speed with AVS 22-grain .223 dish slugs, I clamped my GK1 in the vice on my concrete table and shot at 100y in my backyard range.

See post #200 in this thread for the background info:

After putting on an Optisan CP3-12, I sighted it in as well as I could using that unwieldy setup and then shot 8 slugs in windless conditions into a block of duct seal with a 3/4”sticker. The shots were from 260 bar and speeds ranged from 875-881, so very consistent.

IMG_0656.jpeg

It is just above freezing so the duct seal is firm and crumbly and not soaking up as well as usual. I removed the slugs from the big cluster and the isolated one on the right, so that you can see how well they expand:

IMG_0657.jpeg

Suffice to say, I’m blown away by this. It’s on a par with my Pantheras and such. Oh boy! I need a stock now.

IMG_0656.jpeg

I shot another group - didn’t take a pic but about the same result, so no fluke! Went for a hike and thought about it. As some of you know, I’ve been dissing the slug and carbine ideas. I take it all back. I do still want a pistol only but I also have 22 and 25 K1 rifles and they don’t shoot slugs this well. That’s what has me thinking. I always thought it was the mechanism, shooting from a mag, that made the K1s less accurate. No doubt there’s issues with loose pellets and pellet damage in transition but slugs are solid and yet still only shoot 2moa at best from a vice clamped rifle. It’s not from a lack of tinkering and tuning - I’m pretty obsessive (in case you can’t tell). Now I’m thinking it’s the length/arrangement of the barrel/shroud. The barrel on the pistol is tensioned and therefore very rigid. So, yeah, this makes me want to replace the rifles with pistol carbines. But maybe I should try “fixing” one of the K1s.

In any case, hats off to AVS for those slugs. I’m gonna order a stack. .223 definitely works 😳. I mentioned to wimpanzee via PM that the varmint knockers were occasionally falling in to the barrel and locking up the magazine, forcing me to shoot until the mag was empty. That hasnt happened with the AVS at all. I’ll also advise, based on the ongoing testing, that the 22 grain is the most useful intersection of power and accuracy. You can get a full mag at 290-170bar that fits a symmetric curve of speed from 850 to 880peak and back to 850. Just have to set the power adjuster to make 880fps for shots taken at 210-230bar.

WOW !!!... Hot Dang !

Careful tho, putting a pistol in a vice is a no no, you not a real pistol shooter and doesn't represent what a pistol can do :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
LOL. But actually, I appreciate that line of thought and would like to become more pistol proficient. I coach biathlon here and that is open sights and off hand. But, we clamp all guns at the start of the season and bring the students in to show them that they can never blame their tool. Confidence in the tool makes them better in the long run. That reminds me, I have 7 of them to tune 🤯

I’m waiting on the next shipment of these… placed a pre-order.

Never really considered spending over $1000 on an airgun before, but when this came out I knew I would end up getting one. congratulations to Gregor, who saw the potential in this platform.
It’s worth every penny IMO..Already waiting for the .357 version😉🤣