Girlfriend Problem - HW30

Weather was finally good enough to shoot the HW30 for the first time. My body is to crocked to use a scope currently. Instead, I mounted a green laser. We shot at 10 meters. We used the JSB Exact 8.44 .177 (4.53) straight out of the tin. I'm not sure I need to do any pellet testing at this point.

I have now ordered a cheap scope camera mount and camera to try and improve accuracy.

Lots of improvements needed to get a fully functioning handicap setup.

1. Better bench for benchrest shooting. The table is to shaky. Since it doesn't have to be transportable it should be easy to build.

2. Better gun rest to provide easier vertical and horizontal movement. Thinking about the NOTA Professional Benchrest.

3. Adjust the trigger. It is probably fine for most shooters, but I have no finger movement. Trigger pull then becomes moving the whole hand, and definitely affects aim.

4. Final choice on the correct magnification on a single power SWFA.

5. I sure hope this HW30 gets easier to cock. It is no where near 18 pounds of cocking effort. I currently don't have the strength to cock it myself. Best I can do is get the barrel 90 degrees to the stock then I am stuck. If nothing else I'm going to mount a tube/pipe on the side of the new benchrest and cock it where I have some leverage. Only real muscles I have are shoulder and bicep.

The girlfriend problem is: She had so much fun I will probably be buying another HW30 for Christmas.

1540799697_12275574205bd6bcd128b3f0.95971577_Benchrest.jpg

1540799716_10339854825bd6bce49e4ca7.37569396_Target.jpg

Hm you made me thinking about a green laser on my 177 Hw30s, do you think 20 meters is possible with that? I mean can one see the dot at that distance in daylight? Or maybe i should get one in 22 for some tin pesting at 10-15 meters... About your issue with cocking the gun, maybe try to get a 7.5 joule spring for it, would be easier to cock and at 10 meters it doesn't matter with a bit less power, might even be better... Good Shooting by the way! 

Hm you made me thinking about a green laser on my 177 Hw30s, do you think 20 meters is possible with that? I mean can one see the dot at that distance in daylight? Or maybe i should get one in 22 for some tin pesting at 10-15 meters... About your issue with cocking the gun, maybe try to get a 7.5 joule spring for it, would be easier to cock and at 10 meters it doesn't matter with a bit less power, might even be better... Good Shooting by the way!

Biggest problem is the farther out you go the bigger the dot gets. Even at 10 meters with the target I used above the laser covered the 10 ring and part of the 9 ring. I will try to capture a 20 meter picture for you with a scale on it.

Seeing it is no problem. I had it on a 22LR and 30 yards and beyond was no problem in full sunlight.

Yup, even lasers have a divergent beam. You might be able to adjust the focus ring that is on some of them, to narrow it up. I can't see adding an additional lens to tighten it up. A GRIN lens might work, but it starts becoming "A Thing" - wavelength, beam diameter, alignment, etc. etc

is there something that can be slipped over the barrel end to add some additional mechanical advantage to make the cocking easier?

Nice shooting by the way. My wife wants to go shooting but when I mention it's an all day affair with a 1.5 hour drive to the range and only porta potties, it changes her enthusiasm.

Smitty

I'm sure the issues with the little misses will work out ( but do get her the pretty wooden one ).

because I had to ( and had the parts arpund) I put an IZH60 spring in an RWS92. Dropped all the way to 510fps but the last part of cocking could be done with one finger. Had I shopped for a different spring it could have shot , whatever I wanted.

And or put a 6" muzzlebreak on there for the added leverage, I like the light spring best.

Most all SSP's are super easy to cock,

John

Biggest problem is the farther out you go the bigger the dot gets. Even at 10 meters with the target I used above the laser covered the 10 ring and part of the 9 ring. I will try to capture a 20 meter picture for you with a scale on it.

Seeing it is no problem. I had it on a 22LR and 30 yards and beyond was no problem in full sunlight.

Ok thanks for the reply, need bigger cans and tins then hehe 

Hi David. The Rekord Trigger can be adjusted to the point where breathing on it will fire the gun. Not something I would recommend though as it makes the gun unsafe.

I have ordered a synthetic stock HW30S and would welcome your impressions of the gun. 

I really like the synthetic stock. I would have already put scratches in a wood stock simply trying the multiple ways I have to cock it. It definitely has weight to it, and doesn't have a hollow plastic feel.

I can't provide much on the tactile feel because of limited sensation in my hands. The stippling or checkering pattern on the synthetic stock is probably not as pronounced as in the HW30S Deluxe. Possibly the more tacky feel of the synthetic makes up for that around sweat and field carry.

I bought it simply because I didn't want a safe queen, and for me the wood stock would have been because I would have been unhappy every time I scratched or dinged it. I definitely rate this as a truck gun and not as a beauty to be passed down as an heirloom. It certainly feels like it will survive anything you put it through.

Fit an finish on mine is quality with the arm running from the barrel to the spring sitting dead center in the stock. Bluing had no flaws anywhere. The ball detente to hold the barrel closed is very stiff and takes a quick blow with the palm of your hand to the barrel to start the cocking.

The JSB's I listed above are way more accurate than I am. They are one of the two everyone on here seems to recommend.

For targets I got two products that should work both inside and outside.

Gamo 6212204554 Bone Collector Cone Backyard Trap: I bought two and extra targets.

https://www.amazon.com/Gamo-6212204554-Bone-Collector-Backyard/dp/B0079IX4AE

For a backstop I purchased two Bone Collector archery bags to get free shipping to the house.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Bone-Collector-BC-300-Bag-Field-Point-Target/986435943

The HW30S sure can't penetrate them, and I doubt a 12 ft-lb gun can. At 40 pounds they sure lost money on me shipping them ;)

I was thinking a piece of 2 inch schedule 80 pvc say around 14 inches with a cap so the barrel stops when inserted clamped vertically to your shooting table might work as the leverage you was speaking of, even a piece of carpet glued inside to cushion it.

I was thinking along the same lines. I tried a 6 inch diameter pipe to put the butt in, but that failed. The carpet is also an awesome idea. I will be poking around the store tomorrow.

Thank you for the great suggestion!

I bought a 2 foot piece of pvc pipe and a piece of 1 inch self-sealing foam pipe insulation. I put the foam inside the pvc pipe with around 3 inches hanging out each end.

i removed the front sight and mounted the pipe in a vice. I can now cock the rifle by myself by inserting the barrel into the pipe and using the motion of the wheelchair to leverage the rifle.

Tomorrow will be a full day of practice shooting.