Gifted Chinese Underlever Not sure how old or which model Early B3-1 ???

My father-in-law while cleaning out his shop located both of his old air rifles being a late 50’s or early 60’s Weihrauch HW35 and this unknown unmarked Chinese made .177 caliber under lever. He decided to keep the HW35 for a little longer and to have something to shoot when his grandsons (my boys) bring theirs down to plink around. As for the Chinese underlever he gave that one to me on Thanksgiving Day 2020 and told me to use it as a test gun for rebuilding air rifles.

Well I am doing just that. So far I have refinished the stock, I was amazed to find such a nice wood with a pleasing grain pattern hidden under some ugly thick orange type wood stain that hid the wood and made it look almost toy like.

I asked my father-in-law where he bought this air rifle, he told me he got it in the mid to late 70’s at a tool truck sale on heels on Main Street in Townsend, MT. He told me he had only shot it a few times long ago, decided he did not like it that much so he just tucked it away.

Based on his recollection of when he obtained the rifle (please keep in mind he is 72 and has Parkinson’s) and the location and design of rear sight which does not look like ones I have seen on line it must be old - but how old I really don’t know, but it for sure looks like an early B3-1 but I could be wrong. So far the only new part on the gun is the screw that holds the rear sight on the receiver as I misplaced the original one, but when found it will go back on where it belongs.

So far I have tore it down twice to find what causes the ratchet like sound it makes when cocking and give it fresh lubrication and moly where applicable and inspect the piston seal and soak it in silicone when I discovered it was leather, found the plastic spring guide cap assembly still in tact.

I put it all back together, it cocks and fires just fine, is fairly accurate and there is no metal to metal grinding/galling, it just has that ratchet sound still, looking at it closer tonight I noticed the first click it makes is when the linkage pull is initiated from there it does it until the piston engages the sear, there is no noise when returning the cocking arm to the barrel clip. Any ideas on what is causing this are very welcome.

Also I know I want to replace the plastic spring guide/retainer assembly but not sure who has this part available or an alternative.

28B55349-008C-495E-A456-ABD540505B8E.1612335110.jpeg
6DE87219-CF46-4200-B688-8127DE6BB1B5.1612335110.jpeg
0EF3AD59-968A-47DA-9B96-7ECFE6FED1A9.1612335110.jpeg
55F9E398-3BA5-4504-A8E5-8A44FAD18ECD.1612335111.jpeg
229B6505-4FD2-4637-8468-FCDF72578973.1612335111.jpeg
8B74AE66-2904-48EE-8463-BECCD7DB0CFE.1612335111.jpeg

Good luck finding a spring guide. My first post ever on here was asking about where I could find a spring guide. Mine shattered into a bunch of pieces. And people on here was wondering why I wanted to bother fixing a cheap air gun. I fixed the horrible trigger pull on it And was shooting pretty accurate until the spring Guide broke. So since I already had it apart and I figured why not try to fix it. But I looked everywhere and couldn’t find one. I’m retired from machining and know how easy it would be to make one. Wouldn’t take me no time at all. But I don’t have that option Anymore. If you find one let me know.

I am certain you are correct, there will be those that say it’s a waste of time, but hey it’s my time to waste, or as my wife says as long as your keeping busy your not spending money, which is her way of saying I will spend it for you, just keep doing what your doing.

like you If I can’t find it, I will make it myself. I have heard crosman may have something that will work or can be made to work I just need to know which model of theirs uses something similar so that I can purchase parts from them or their supplier or find a donor gun. 

Those that say anything is waste of time are missing out on the fun of pursuing a challenge life provides that has no inherit risk but provides the reward of satisfaction when you achieve your desired outcome. I fully understand this because in my world when I was a young Firefighter and EMT and now as a retired Fire Chief, nothing you do in life is a waste of time, because everything you do in life matters to someone even if it only matters to you - Make every moment and breath count, is what I told my fire crews before we went into a building and when we got off shift to go home to our families. 

Also growing up in a family of 9 one thing we did not have a lot of was money for things. What we did have was an imagination and time, lots of time and when we got anything used from bikes, lawnmowers, toys, cars and trucks, from my Dad to my brothers we figured out how to keep any of those items working and if we could not find the part we became masters at reverse engineering and made our own parts to keep thing going. 

Growing up my dad bought the only air rifle our family had, we had powder burners for hunting, but that air rifle was his baby and after the colorful conversation my mom had with him about the money he spent on that air rifle (FWB 124 Sport Deluxe, from Agri Food Store, Helena MT) in 1983 he was very protective of it, I know I only got to shoot it twice, and upon his passing in 2017 it is now in my collection never to be sold but passed down.

I seen where some of the old ones had metal Spring Guides.Then I seen where they went to plastic but it was a white plastic. Mine is a black plastic that is very brittle like a model kit. Mines in the back of my closet right now. If I had a spring guide I would have it back together in no time and shooting it. I’ll shoot anything no matter how much it cost. It doesn’t matter to me. There is a video online that a guy made one from a small piece of pipe and a fitting from a hardware store and then he belt Sanded it. Well I don’t even have a belt sander. It would be a lot More work than just turning one on a lathe.

Great nephew showed up at the door a couple years ago with one asking if there was anything I could do to maybe make it shoot better. My niece took one look and asked where he found it since apparently it disappeared when my sister and brother in law got divorced. 

She called her father and according to him, his father bought it back in the early '70s during one of those same tool truck sales to teach his kids to shoot. Rifle got passed down to the brother in law and he did the same thing with his 4 kids. Started digging because it has the Cummins International logo on top of the receiver. Didn't need the spring guide but the rest was pretty hammered so I got the kit from Archer and went to work. Action refinished, stock refinished, tested it and it's a pretty accurate little rifle. Great nephew wasn't happy but considering the history of the rifle, I gave it back to his grandfather who while not often, still shoots it now and then.

The clackity part I think is the end of the cocking arm sliding back over the spring. If you need a new spring guide, have a look here. The guy made one out of some simple hardware store parts: https://www.gatewaytoairguns.org/GTA/index.php?topic=114029.0

Before and after of my brother in law's....

B3-1 before and after.1612378950.jpg

Thank you, I would most definatley pursue themachine shop option. Unfortunaley there are no machine shops left in Helena MT all that I know now are 100 to 200 mile away from my location, but I do have a High School Basketball game to attend in the future in one of those communities so I may try to send it to them to build in advance and ask that they hold it for me pick pick up either before or after the game.

As luck would have it I found a much older non working B3-1 that had the one part I wanted - a metal spring guide and it only cost me $10.00, now I just need to wait a few days for it to arrive in the mail. 

While some say why go through the trouble with such “cheap” air rifle that most just throw out. To me it is simple, it belonged to a man I respect and care for as if he were my own Father and he was so happy when I called him Dad the day I married his only daughter 18 years ago.

what I did not mention in the original post was that he also gave me another rifle on Thanksgiving Day 2020. The other was a powder burner that my mother in law gave him on their first wedding anniversary in 1968, it was his 7MM Remington Model 700, again while neither of the items he gave me are significant in the eyes of most, they are treasures to me and I will keep them both in good working order for many years before I pass them down to my sons.

31F9186B-7B2C-4FE8-B20F-229F3D89B677.1612413479.jpeg

That ratchety sound is probably from the cocking shoe bumping along the spring. You can put a sleeve in the piston. A sleeve can be cut from an aluminum beverage can or a plastic bottle. It serves as a barrier between the spring and cocking shoe. Its a pretty normal sound in springers particularly when the spring is kinked a bit but not necessarily only then.

Reactions: shootrj2003
I am in the process of modifying a B3: Nitro-piston, custom stock, moderator, good scope and what ever else I decide as I am playing.

Why, because I can. I acquired all kinds of tools both wood working and metal working over the years I might as well use them doing something fun.

c801tfd I think its great that you restored your wife's dad's gun. It looks good.

I have that exact rifle , i took it apart as it never shot well , I found the seal had dried out . I rubbed it down with silicon washer grease , and then a mixture of moly grease on it , and the spring.. I put some Tetra Gun grease on the trigger assy. re assembled and after mounting a scope and mount on it I am amazed how fast it actually shoots and is pretty accurate at 35 yards 1 inch - 1 1/2 groups