• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Getting started

I have been collecting information for my start in pcp air gunning. I am pretty much set on the wolverine hp r but haven't purchased just yet. I shoot powder burners at 600 and 1000 benchrest, it's in my nature to try to stretch this out but also at 50yds and less. I think I want to go with .22 primarily for the greater selection of pellets over a .25 or 30. I figure ill end up shooting the jumbos if my rifle likes them.

I've called my local paint ball shop and he said he can fill my tank for $5.00 and that all I needed was a 1/4" quick connect. Question, will I have what I need for this in the box or do I need to buy a fitting? I think the rifle has an 1/8" fitting but not sure whats happening on the other end of the hose to fill it. I assume it will come with a hose to charge tank? I've been wearing them out at AOA a with questions so I thought I might give them a break and post here.

I've been looking on eBay for tanks. I think I want a medium size tank. Would 45 cf 4500 psi be what I'm after? Fittings I need to look for that match what I have?

Appreciate any insight, and I will continue to search on this forum.

Thanks, Jim

Wolverine R HP is an incredibly nice rifle. 22 is a good caliber for it. You didn't say how much shooting you'll be doing or what kind of shooting so some advice is difficult. I bought a 96 cf carbon fiber tank off ebay that was shipped out of Phoenix with a couple years still on it for $150. If you plan much shooting, I would go with the bigger tank. A LOT more shooting per fill.

Bob

Call Joe Brancato 714-907-0067 at Airtanksforsale.com is a great source of quality, Amnerican-made tanks with fantastic valves and guages. If you are not planning on getting your own compressor, you will need a bigger tank than 45 cf in my opinion. I would get a 100 cf tank. 

I can not emphasize how nice it is to have my own compressor. It is painful to fork over that kind of money for a high quality compressor after spending a lot of cash on a high end rifle - but buy once and cry once.

There are a variety of compressor options these days that can fit a variety of budgets. Having your own compressor will revolutionize your PCP experience.

I'm back on the fence with which rifle to purchase. The fact that at some point seals will need to be replaced and the possibility of needing to be serviced has me considering an fx since I'm here in NC.

I like the way the crown looks, however my desire for distance leads me to believe I need a high power air rifle. Can the crown or others be cranked up and still be tuned to shoot as well? Going from 30 to 60 ft lb of energy, with regard to HP models, seems significant should I decide to hunt.

Maybe a law of diminishing returns at some point with regard to speed and or particular pellets, slugs or rifles?

Decisions decisions. The raw rifles look good too but I understand they're heavy. I would like to carry this around on occasion.