• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!

Getting started

drsquall

Jul 22, 2022
OK
Hello,
I am wanting to get started in our local benchrest outdoor 50yd matches. I have an RTI prophet 1 in 22 with the LR barrel, Vulcan 3 700mm 22 setup up for slugs at 80FPE for hunting. A Hatsan carnivore in 30cal at 100fpe for hunting and a tx200 in 177 for FT. Also, a Vulcan 3. 500mm in 177 for open class.
I thought about trying the RTI for it and using my rock jr front rest and a rear bag for it.

Now,
I would like a dedicated gun for benchrest. I can't afford a Thomas but I would like a decent gun and scope and a flag setup with maybe something different for rest setup. If had to put a limit it would be 2,000 for rifle/scope setup and unsure about flags and rest. I do know no high dollar rests.

Also, I have never played this game before.

Thanks
Jon

N50 is fun and is a little more challenging than you’d think. We have our local matches as well and shooting N50 has taught me to slow down a little and pay attention a bit more which helped my 100yd bench shooting. Your RTI should work just fine. In .22 shooting pellets you’ll have an advantage over shooting either slugs and definitely over the rimfire guys as you’ll get your shots plugged with a .35 cal plug so your scores might be a lot better than you think. I’d try the set up you already mentioned and see how it goes after a couple matches and then fine tune what you’d like to change etc.

Reactions: Joef and drsquall
N50 is fun and is a little more challenging than you’d think. We have our local matches as well and shooting N50 has taught me to slow down a little and pay attention a bit more which helped my 100yd bench shooting. Your RTI should work just fine. In .22 shooting pellets you’ll have an advantage over shooting either slugs and definitely over the rimfire guys as you’ll get your shots plugged with a .35 cal plug so your scores might be a lot better than you think. I’d try the set up you already mentioned and see how it goes after a couple matches and then fine tune what you’d like to change etc.
Cool, I will give it a go.

Thanks
Jon

i just looked at the Rock jr and it will be fine to start a few matches
I use this , https://protektormodel.com/collections/complete-rest-sets
not a lot of cash but works as it should . You would have to step up to major $$ to get a better rest. (step up to the slippery cloth )
I like that setup and I like the bigger rear bag with the carry plate on it. Definitely more solid than the little rear bag I have now. I like how portable it is and to be honest this n50 match is every other month here at OKC and they are growing with the benchrest group that they can only do 14 benches right now because that's all there is. Lol I think they are entertaining building some more. Also, I don't know if I would like it. I have never been a paper shooter more of a reactive steel type of shooter. BUT my years of poorly taking care of my body through college football and poor dietary habits is catching up so I'm trying to find ways to keep pulling the trigger. I had to get out of prs rimfire because of 2 ruptured discs in my lumbar spine. I would shoot a 1 day 10 stage match and be done for 5 days after. That's why I started AAFTA this year and now will try benchrest.

Thanks
Jon

protector has a long rear bag But it is not legal in most matches, also heavy sand is just that , very heavy , trust me you do not want it . I bought the large long back rest and it takes all i have to carry it , the squarish rear bag with the bottom plate will be great i have one , buy filled with regular sand

Reactions: drsquall
protector has a long rear bag But it is not legal in most matches, also heavy sand is just that , very heavy , trust me you do not want it . I bought the large long back rest and it takes all i have to carry it , the squarish rear bag with the bottom plate will be great i have one , buy filled with regular sand
How high should I get the ears for the rear bag?

Thanks
Jon

I shoot N50 with a RTI Prophet LR 22 and it’s more than capable to use. I’d suggest using a long pic rail like the one made by Huma. I tried to rest mine on the bottle and the results were not very good. There was a big improvement when I went to the longer pic rail. You will certainly want to use the 25.4 MRD pellets tuned to at least 965 in the LR slow twist barrel. I started my bench rest journey using 4’ tall 1/4” fiberglass driveway stakes with a piece of surveyor’s tape on top for a wind flag. I’ve since gone through a few different wind flag styles and finally settled on the dual vane Wick’s style flags.

Reactions: Joef and drsquall