Getting rid of erector tubes & solving the springer scope problem?

I was shooting my springers and was thinking back about all the issues I had chasing wandering scope POI. I know that there are solutions out there with recoilless actions where the scope stays still (not the RWS 54 action, similar to the Norica Omnia action), dampa mount, Diana ZR mount etc . These are all good products with Pros and Cons. As a Field Target shooter (and I know all Bench Rest shooters), we demand absolute precise POA and POI performance from our scopes.

In this day and age of electronics, I was wondering if any scope makers has looked at digitally replacing the scope erector tube system. As I understand it, this is were some springer scope failure occurs. Why are we still relying on scope spring pressure, and precision screws/gear (elevation and windage turrets) when these mechanical system can be replaced electronically and digitally displayed onto the objective lens? I'm proposing a system similar to a red dot display (but with cross hairs and mil hash) and when you click/dial for elevation changes, the cross hair changes the display electronically.

I did a quick google search about erector tubes and electronic reticles, I got one hit (I'm not an expert at google searches)

Not sure if this product replaces the erector tube system or is just a digital display?

Hopefully this thread can spur some innovative product development and give us a more reliable scope product.

Looks like the ATN system range finds (after taking two readings) and automatically adjusts the reticle for POA. Good to see that the technological challenges were over come.

Probably won't be allowed in Field Target. Don't know if it'll be allowed if the range finding feature was not there and has electronic external adjustments for the reticle display.

We went from iron sights to wire reticle to etched reticles to lighted reticles to digital reticles.

Be nice if we can progress in the same fashion with erector tubes.

Was doing a bit more google search. There was a Tucker scope conversion for mainly bench shooters where the erector tubes were locked in place (1980-1990?). Wonder why that went away? Would seems ideal on a springer for field target. Find your ideal zero, lock the erector tube in place and shoot using mil-hash.

Last edited:
Check Konus. I think they had a scope with electronic reticle.

Matthias

Last edited:
Thanks for the heads up Matthias.

Very cool product.

I read 3-4 reviews and looked at Konus website info on this scope. Unclear if they are using the old mechanical erector tube technology to change elevation and windage. I emailed them. Awaiting a reply.

Thanks for the heads up Matthias.

Very cool product.

I read 3-4 reviews and looked at Konus website info on this scope. Unclear if they are using the old mechanical erector tube technology to change elevation and windage. I emailed them. Awaiting a reply.

just got a reply from Konus scopes

They said their scopes " uses same standard turrets that operate in the same way as a traditional riflescope. With every click these turrets move the LCD screen onto which the reticle is projected, but mechanically there is no difference."

So clicking the turrets mechanically moves the LCD screen.

• Sad
Reactions: JungleShooter
Please correct me if I am wrong, but with a projected reticle wouldn’t you still need a mechanical way to move the projector, which would not solve the problem?

I think you would need a stationary reflection of an LCD screen, with the reticle digitally drawn (updated) on the LCD. However, getting an LCD screen that is small enough and has a high enough resolution to look decent when magnified seems difficult to do…

-Marty

Last edited:
Magnification issue= maybe offer a fix magnification? 40X?

Mechanically moving the projector= Currently, if they can cycle different style reticles (with the push of a button), that's without moving the projector. Why not cycle the cross hair instead (put the cross hair at different location with each external click?) Granted it'll be like shooting with Mildot/mil hash. Might look kinda weird aiming cross hair located at the bottom of the scope. That's probably not an elegant solution, maybe someone else (an optic engineer) can chime in.

(after some coffee and time). Maybe offer three fix positions for the erector tube. High, medium, low (or two?). Then the fine adjustments of the cross hair can be taken care of electronically. Minimal moving parts. Less wear, less recoil impact on the scope POA, potential for increased precision ...etc.

Then again...maybe I got too much time on my hands thinking about this. A high magnification springer rated scope that actually holds zero.

Last edited:
Scroll to 11:40

I believe this is the other one.

Good Call Scouty.
I just saw a posting from the shot show with Matt Dubber (same company, same technology). I knew there must be some company working on getting rid of the erector tube ( I can't be the only crazy one thinking crazy thoughts). The only down side is that currently 14X is the highest magnification they offer.

Last edited:
Good Call Scouty.
I just saw a posting from the shot show with Matt Dubber (same company, same technology). I knew there must be some company working on getting rid of the erector tube ( I can't be the only crazy one thinking crazy thoughts). The only down side is that currently 14X is the highest magnification they offer.

But the 14x doesn't have a digital reticle? Only the new 7x does from what I understand.

There is a thread on this scope on the Shot Show sub-forum.

But the 14x doesn't have a digital reticle? Only the new 7x does from what I understand.

There is a thread on this scope on the Shot Show sub-forum.

I'm soooo tempted to redneck the 1x? version of that scope and put it at the end of a big mag fix power scope (after permanently gluing the erector tube of the big max scope). But then how to you get rid of the reticle from the big mag scope...
But I know my limits. Best to leave it alone.

Last edited: