Getting out of Air Rifles

If it's the lack of dependability from one day to the next get rid of that FX. Get yourself a Taipan, a Cricket, or a Uragan. They will definitely shoot to the same point of impact one day to the next. FX can be very accurate but quite often from day to day the POI changes can frustrate. FX Royale or Boss platform is the way to go for consistency.

I grew bored with the the accuracy of PCPs in general. I came to expect to hit everything I aimed at and got bored so I sold them, got a Beeman R9 so it's pop cans and starlings at the bird feeder from here on. Keep it simple.

If you get beaten by people using the same tool, or at least a comparable tool, then i only see 2 options.

1: you are doing it / something wrong, and lord know you can fast mess up your FX rifle if you go for the knobs on it
2: the other guys are just better shots

I am pretty sure many here will shoot the pants off me due to both.

Actually yesterday i tried to shoot a BR50 card,
Setting up my Maverick for the JSB heavy pellets, shooting the fridge i saw pellet on pellet or very damn close, them moving my aim 4-5 feet to the right where the BR 50 paper was,,,,, and OMG i had problems just getting inside the black ring in several shots to the same target, and i had like two 10s and not a single X.
I put like 100 shots into that BR50 paper, ( not counting sighters ) and like 3 of then was ringing my bell ( as in the ballpark of where i aimed ) the rest, well i am / was utterly clueless.

When i return in the weekend i plan to torch that BR50 paper while i dance around it flaying my arms and trying any silly chant / gesture / dance / language i can think off to exorcise the demons in it.
CUZ that one was a big WTF to me,,,, and after that i also ended my session.

BTW my Maverick i can have it dialed in so i hit within 1/4 inch of where i aim, and shoot nice with it, then walk away from the gun and come back 10 minutes later, and now i have to adjust scope again as shots are not landing 1-2 inches away,,,,, though some times the POI will also go back after a handful of shots.
I cant say i have noticed that on my Vulcan 3

I must admit that even if my Maverick shoot A LOT better with the +100 mm longer 700 mm barrel, then the rifle continue to frustrate me, though i do always land at a place where we are in the same ballpark.
It is of course mainly a result of me shooting " a lot" of different things, like right now i am hell bend on getting the "problematic" 16 and 20 gr Zan slugs to fly better than first time i tried those, and i am also seeing some improvements.

Last edited:
Reactions: _CTAIRGUNNER_
In my 46 years of life I have went through this in pretty much every hobby I have ever had. With that being said, I will compare Air Rifles with race Quads. Back in the late 80's and 90's I was real into quad racing. At first I enjoyed just driving/racing them. But with 2 strokes, the more you beat on them the more you have to tune them and tinker on them. The more you race them, the faster you want them to go. The faster you make them go, the more aftermarket parts you have to put on them to get them to be able to hold up. Even then, I wanted them to go even faster so I started having my engines modified by professionals. Even then though, I wanted to just learn how to do it myself. The more money that I dump into those things the greater my expectations of them became. Because instinctually you expect to get something good out of your money. In the end, I would take a 5-6 thousand dollar quad and turn it into a $30,000 quad, and I would spend more damn time working on it than riding it! After a while, I finally gave up on the hobby.
Some years later a friend of mine who likes to hunt bought himself an ATV, a Grizzly. Had a winch, a rack on the back to haul stuff, was 4WD, not very fast, bone stock. I drove that thing one day and loved it! He had it for around a decade with no real problems outside of normal maintenance. Because of this, a lightbulb went off in my head and I realized that I don't really have to take a given product and try to reengineer it to make it better. I realized that with the millions of dollars spent on r&d on most products that I'm most likely not going to be able to design it better than the trained and skilled engineers that designed it in the first place. And, I realized that if I just leave it alone and use it for what it was intended for that I will probably end up enjoying it more and be able to use it more.
I started out with springers, loved them, still have my Weirauch HW97, but I did get into PCP's in 2019, I purchased a Dreamline Tactical. I got the rifle in, put a nice HAWKE scope on it along with a bipod, but otherwise left it alone and it has served me very well since then. Something recently broke (due to me overcharging it) and I sent it out to FX and they had it back to me in 3 weeks. I recently bought a pre-owned (50 slugs through it) FX Impact M3 in 30 cal with Titan scope and power block on it and I plan to leave that one alone too. The nice thing about FX is that if you have any problems you can give them a call and they will talk you through it. My suggestion would be to take it back to the factory tune, pick a certain pellet/slug weight, and go from there. Call up FX if you're still having problems and have them suggest some tuning changes. But put a few down the pipe first so you can give them some data such as the FPS for you're shooting.

Reactions: fishing43
If you get beaten by people using the same tool, or at least a comparable tool, then i only see 2 options.

1: you are doing it / something wrong, and lord know you can fast mess up your FX rifle if you go for the knobs on it
2: the other guys are just better shots

I am pretty sure many here will shoot the pants off me due to both.

Actually yesterday i tried to shoot a BR50 card,
Setting up my Maverick for the JSB heavy pellets, shooting the fridge i saw pellet on pellet or very damn close, them moving my aim 4-5 feet to the right where the BR 50 paper was,,,,, and OMG i had problems just getting inside the black ring in several shots to the same target, and i had like two 10s and not a single X.
I put like 100 shots into that BR50 paper, ( not counting sighters ) and like 3 of then was ringing my bell ( as in the ballpark of where i aimed ) the rest, well i am / was utterly clueless.

When i return in the weekend i plan to torch that BR50 paper while i dance around it flaying my arms and trying any silly chant / gesture / dance / language i can think off to exorcise the demons in it.
CUZ that one was a big WTF to me,,,, and after that i also ended my session.

BTW my Maverick i can have it dialed in so i hit within 1/4 inch of where i aim, and shoot nice with it, then walk away from the gun and come back 10 minutes later, and now i have to adjust scope again as shots are not landing 1-2 inches away,,,,, though some times the POI will also go back after a handful of shots.
I cant say i have noticed that on my Vulcan 3

I must admit that even if my Maverick shoot A LOT better with the +100 mm longer 700 mm barrel, then the rifle continue to frustrate me, though i do always land at a place where we are in the same ballpark.
It is of course mainly a result of me shooting " a lot" of different things, like right now i am hell bend on getting the "problematic" 16 and 20 gr Zan slugs to fly better than first time i tried those, and i am also seeing some improvements.
You missed option #3 Your wife is a better shot than you and she beats you for buying too many airguns! :)
HK

:LOL: That are indeed often the problem, or at least the norm ( having a wife )
BUT ! i can say it have been a lifetime since i dated last time,,,,,, well if you consider 39 years a lifetime, i was 17 when i last had a girlfriend,,,,, that was in 1983.

It is a + / - of having severe trust issues, and i pretty much always see my trust broken, even if i do not ask for more than i give, so solitude it is for me.