Getting out of Air Rifles

If you have gone through many guns and now have an M3, and you have not "messed with it", and are still not satisfied, then consider this: maybe it's you?

As for me, I have only tweaked on 2 guns; my Raptor and my DreamTac .30 (I had to tweak it to get it to shoot at 875 fps). Other than that, I just turn the hammer spring and transfer port knobs. They are a pleasure to shoot.

However, I have had days when the guns were all way off, it was like bad voodoo. Then I realized it was me. I learned to be consistent in hold etc. This was most important for me as I have a dozen guns, and I shoot them all. So going from gun to gun with different holds just made a mess of things.

Consider all things, hold on to the good.

So I am toying with moving away from air rifles.
After spending a good amount of money I am getting frustrated with the results. Love the challenge but wow, I get beaten every time. Frustrating to say the least.
Went top of the line but even that, FX, has let me down, too much tweaking.
Someone want to talk me off the ledge?
Alright.
Take a drive to Minor Hill or Pulaski TN, have some fun shooting some Field Target (call ahead and see what can be done if you do not have a 20fpe rig) shoot several different airguns that WILL hit the target every shot if you can. Maybe buy something right there.
Problem solved.
Your airgun friend,
John

I can't add much. With the exception of the Boss/Royale platform, I find the FX line overly complicated, products that cater to the shooter who likes to tinker. The FX Royale, Weihrauch HW100, RAW, and Taipan Veteran are rifles that are simple, robust, and generally are ready to go out of the box. That said, even the simplest of PCP rifles are, in contrast, rather complicated compared to cartridge rifles, just no getting around it. With a good RF rifle, assuming you have the time and money to find the right ammo, it's just load and shoot, forever. I have a handful of good PCP rifles, including those I listed above. I shoot them casually, do not participate in any formal competition, and I enjoy it. If I had a FT club handy, I believe I would enjoy that discipline, since I'm mostly a plinker, and FT seems to be an extension of that activity. If you are willing to try a different rifle, you might find satisfaction. But, it's a hobby, not a job. If it's not satisfying for you, just call it an interesting experiment and enjoy your other cartridge rifles. Whatever you decide, it will be the right decision for you.

Reactions: Smitty911
After spending a good amount of money I am getting frustrated with the results. Love the challenge but wow, I get beaten every time. Frustrating to say the least.
Hello EagleEyes,

Sounds like to me that you are actually asking yourself if you still enjoy shooting airguns “enough” to overlook the hassle required. I feel your pain, because I also used to shoot rimfire competitively and how straight forward that activity is. Today I own and shoot for pure fun PCP air guns, but to be 100% truthful, it is out of necessity. I cannot go to the shooting range everyday that is 30 miles from my home and I cannot shoot powder burners here on my property. So to fulfill my love for target shooting, I have adopted the sport/hobby of air gunning. At times it can be really frustrating and other times it can be so much fun and offer so much enjoyment and fulfillment for the effort that I put into it. May I humbly suggest that you put your airguns aside for a given amount of time and then reevaluate whether or not to keep or sell. Good luck.

ThomasT

Hello EagleEyes,

Sounds like to me that you are actually asking yourself if you still enjoy shooting airguns “enough” to overlook the hassle required. I feel your pain, because I also used to shoot rimfire competitively and how straight forward that activity is. Today I own and shoot for pure fun PCP air guns, but to be 100% truthful, it is out of necessity. I cannot go to the shooting range everyday that is 30 miles from my home and I cannot shoot powder burners here on my property. So to fulfill my love for target shooting, I have adopted the sport/hobby of air gunning. At times it can be really frustrating and other times it can be so much fun and offer so much enjoyment and fulfillment for the effort that I put into it. May I humbly suggest that you put your airguns aside for a given amount of time and then reevaluate whether or not to keep or sell. Good luck.

ThomasT
So I think you and I are on the same page. It was fun and then not, then again, then not... Just struggling with my ROI since I went full on with the rifle I have.

• Love
Reactions: ThomasT
The question you ask can be quite troubling and I know, I've been there. I learned not to keep tweaking and changing a guns power or caliber or even the scope.

Set the particular gun up to it's sweet spot and set scope to a distance that feels comfortable to you and the gun and leave it alone.

Now the hard part, when want more power or farther distance, or different caliber buy another gun and set it up to the particulars. That's a gun you can always count on. Happy shooting.

Reactions: EagleEyes
probably just expecting too much man .. its easy to get caught up in internet fantasy land where everything 'has to be' full high end competition lol .. that crap aint real unless you dedicate everything to it .. a conservative midrange gun and plinking chicken eggs off fence posts at 80, thats more realistic without breaking out in hives and pulling your hair out coz you cant hit a dime at 400 like the fake youtube superhero does lol ... ive shot all kinds of guns for over 50 years now and hey, if i can hit a shotgunshell at 50 its a dam good day heheh .. what pcp 'cant' do that? .. not many that wont .. so lighten up, who needs competition level accuracy for everyday shooting life, i certainly dont .. thats what the net does though.. makes people feel inadequate ...
Agreed, I don’t shoot competition, but I have a grin ear to ear hitting .308 and .223 casings at 50 yards with either my AGT Uragan standard or my Daystate Revere. Stellar performers.

4BAFC0F1-E5F7-4FEF-B88B-4C0F256532BA.jpeg

Certainly lot of good suggestions from the members on the board but as a rifle marksman, I have a bit of a different take on things.

The smaller and lighter both the rifle is and the ammo you are shooting..... the more that mistakes in shooting fundamentals are amplified.

Here is an example...... easily ringing the gong at 300 yards is pretty easy with a .308 rifle, a little tougher with a .223 and you gotta pay attention with a .22lr. In fact the biggest improvement I get in my skills is when a shoot a bulk round on a windy day with a low caliber rifle. I already know what the .308 and the .223 are dialed in at because of the consistency of the round. The .22lr i a whole other ball game.

Jumping over to air rifles is even one step further with bulk produced ammuntion and shooting with air pressure that varys. Seeing some of the pictures posted on the forum....some of the airgun guys have taken precision shooting into an art form.

There is a pretty good series on youtube called sniper 101 by Trex. Some of the stuff does not apply to airguns but a lot does. Body mechanics and postition, breathing, optics are really all part of being an excellent shooter.

If you own a Ruger 10/22 rifle go shoot the appleseed event (it's taught by former snipers) then come back and jump on the airgun with your new knowledge......you'll be impressed.

HK

Reactions: EagleEyes
Hello EagleEyes,

ThomasT
For those that love shooting but are stuck in the burbs with limited time for the range, backyard plinking is much better than not shooting. Last 5 years I have cycled through a dozen airguns to keep my trigger finger happy. Now down to a handful of regulars. I setup a 10m range in my basement and added a club grade pistol and rifle to my herd, best shooting investment yet. Next is the HW44, becoming a huge fan of its eye of chipmunk accuracy out to 30 yards. Just before reading this I snipped the heads off of two flowers at 32 yards with my .177 Impact. Yesterday it turned a handfull of gumballs into powder. It was a PITA$$ getting it dialed, but damn...it is so quiet, accurate, and convenient for my application. Haven't touched a dial on it for over a year and several tins of JSB 13.4's.

Get dialed in on something so you can get your fix. Once you have the main $$ invested in air supply etc. you can cycle through a few guns (sell what doesn't work on the classifieds) until you find what suits you. Worth it.

Reactions: maxtrouble
What size groups at what yardage are you getting? Not sure y so many people pick on fx the results at rmac speak for themselves.
I guess I am seeing a little of my OCD come out. In this last shoot groups were about an inch with some severe flyers. I laid out flags, trying to read the wind, and that didn't work.
It was shooting .5 inch groups before, not sure what happened.

Certainly lot of good suggestions from the members on the board but as a rifle marksman, I have a bit of a different take on things.

The smaller and lighter both the rifle is and the ammo you are shooting..... the more that mistakes in shooting fundamentals are amplified.

Here is an example...... easily ringing the gong at 300 yards is pretty easy with a .308 rifle, a little tougher with a .223 and you gotta pay attention with a .22lr. In fact the biggest improvement I get in my skills is when a shoot a bulk round on a windy day with a low caliber rifle. I already know what the .308 and the .223 are dialed in at because of the consistency of the round. The .22lr i a whole other ball game.

Jumping over to air rifles is even one step further with bulk produced ammunitions' and shooting with air pressure that varys. Seeing some of the pictures posted on the forum....some of the airgun guys have taken precision shooting into an art form.

There is a pretty good series on youtube called sniper 101 by Trex. Some of the stuff does not apply to airguns but a lot does. Body mechanics and postition, breathing, optics are really all part of being an excellent shooter.

If you own a Ruger 10/22 rifle go shoot the appleseed event (it's taught by former snipers) then come back and jump on the airgun with your new knowledge......you'll be impressed.

HK
I shoot a similar event, we call it the sniper match at our local club, Small targets at 50, 75, 100, 150 and 200 yards, 50 yard targets are 1 ide by 2 inches tall and the 200's are 4 tall by 3 wide.
At 200 last time i nailed 10 out of 10 but got caught up in repositioning bench rest and had the barrel riding the barrel stop..
I do shoot the larger calibers as well and can appreciate your perspective, thanks,

What is your purpose for shooting an air rifle? Competition? Hunting/pesting? Plinking/entertainment?

Just as one example for you, I have owned 2 of the same make and model gun even the same caliber. Both had different results. I am a fan of FX but maybe a different model or even a different maker would be a better fit for you and your intended purpose. I have been pleased with each of the top their brands that I have owned and even some of the lesser brands. I'm not shooting any competition except with myself so I don't have that expectation/frustration if I'm not standing on the podium.

“Comparison is the thief of joy.”
Theodore Roosevelt